Should I keep my REI secret from my employer?

Should I keep my REI secret from my employer?

Carrie AlluriPro Member
Flipper/Rehabber · Gurnee, IL · Member since 2014 · 46 posts · 19 votes

I am still working full time while trying to get started in REI. I feel like I should keep my REI efforts secret from my employer considering I want to quit my job someday to do REI full time. Therefore, I'm hesitant to mention anything REI related on Facebook or LinkedIn in case any of my colleges see it. On the other hand, I would love to use Facebook and LinkedIn to connect and promote my REI efforts. Any advice on if I should allow my employer know about my REI or using social media for REI purposes while still employed full time?

0Reply
13 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · El Dorado Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
11y

This is probably too honest but as an employer I get frustrated when I feel like my employees attention is being pulled in different directions and I view them differently in terms of how I expect them to contribute to my company now and in the future.   I do take a closer look at the productivity of my employees when they are juggling a lot.   I would also be more likely to invest time and energy into promoting somebody that was in it for the long haul over somebody who I felt was looking for exit strategies.   Side jobs,  education unrelated to my business, etc are all hints to me that they are not 100% committed to their current job.   That makes me view them differently.  That doesn't mean I am going to fire them or treat them any differently day to day,  but it does affect the opportunities I may be willing to give them.  If my receptionist is going to school PT to be a dental assistant... I am not going to invest time and energy into training her up into a better position.   If one of my insurance agents is struggling to meet his sales goals and I know he is spending a significant amount of time trying to do RE deals (wholesaling in this case)... how lenient and understanding do you expect me to be when he wants his draw extended another 3 months?   You would not imagine the things I have discovered people doing while on the clock drawing a paycheck from me.  I consider that stealing. 

My advice is to keep it under wraps.   You don't have to go out of your way to hide it but if you are talking about it more than you are talking about the job I am paying you to do... I will view you differently.   I also advise people to have a professional and a personal facebook account.   Keep the two worlds separate.  

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2015 · 237 posts · 107 votes
    11y

    Hey @Carrie Alluri I don't see any reason why you would need to keep it a secret from your employer. I wouldn't necessarily promote the fact that your goal is to be successful enough in REI to quit your job, but I doubt most employers see this as a risk for losing you. They can't stop you from investing in RE, and I suppose they could fire you, but as long as you are good at your job and REI isn't eating into your productivity at work, I can't imagine an emoloyer having negative consequences from RE investing. It would be like your employer being upset that you invest in the stock market, the end game is to become financial independent and not HAVE to work, the result is the same its just a different investment.

    Adam

  • Guy with Great Hair · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    You're better off talking about RE on facebook and removing your work peers from your friends list rather than the other way around. 

    No need to hide your efforts, but it's also unnecessary to tell the world you want to quit your job. Should easily be able to do both, and talk about both openly. 

  • Investor · lansing, MI · Member since 2015 · 29 posts · 18 votes
    11y

    depends entirely on the company and there dynamic. What's causing this fear ? I personally believing in keeping your business, your business unless it somehow benefits you to share that info. 

  • Investor · El Dorado Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    This is probably too honest but as an employer I get frustrated when I feel like my employees attention is being pulled in different directions and I view them differently in terms of how I expect them to contribute to my company now and in the future.   I do take a closer look at the productivity of my employees when they are juggling a lot.   I would also be more likely to invest time and energy into promoting somebody that was in it for the long haul over somebody who I felt was looking for exit strategies.   Side jobs,  education unrelated to my business, etc are all hints to me that they are not 100% committed to their current job.   That makes me view them differently.  That doesn't mean I am going to fire them or treat them any differently day to day,  but it does affect the opportunities I may be willing to give them.  If my receptionist is going to school PT to be a dental assistant... I am not going to invest time and energy into training her up into a better position.   If one of my insurance agents is struggling to meet his sales goals and I know he is spending a significant amount of time trying to do RE deals (wholesaling in this case)... how lenient and understanding do you expect me to be when he wants his draw extended another 3 months?   You would not imagine the things I have discovered people doing while on the clock drawing a paycheck from me.  I consider that stealing. 

    My advice is to keep it under wraps.   You don't have to go out of your way to hide it but if you are talking about it more than you are talking about the job I am paying you to do... I will view you differently.   I also advise people to have a professional and a personal facebook account.   Keep the two worlds separate.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2012 · 538 posts · 298 votes
    11y

    Very much agree with Joe B. on many of the points he raises. When you are at a job, you should not be dealing with anything else. Having said that, we all deal with the unexpected. 

    The vast majority of employers understand as they also have to deal with non-work emergencies. At a certain point, when the 'emergency' is taking up too much time (what ever that means) they will have to deal with it. This may mean anything from firing the person to giving them time off so they can dedicate themselves to the solving the problem and then hopefully come back focused on the job.

    I think you really have to separate your 'job' from your REI and if you are not or your REI activities are affecting your 'job', you better hope that you are not easily 'replaceable'.

  • Carrie AlluriPro Member
    OP
    Flipper/Rehabber · Gurnee, IL · Member since 2014 · 46 posts · 19 votes
    11y

    Thanks everyone for your advise. I love that I got replies from all different perspectives. I think I will stay the cautious route and only mention REI as a hobby on my personal accounts, but use separate accounts for true social networking and marketing.

  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    chances are nothing will come from FB or other sites like that. so talking about it on there will hurt your current position.

    i never mention anything about RE on FB. my dad doesn't even know what i do.

  • Real Estate Solutions Provider · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 571 posts · 452 votes
    11y

    @Carrie Alluri Good luck in your quest to get out of the rat race! When I was an employee I kept all of my personal business private. And besides, most employers feel like @Joe Bertolino about most of their employees. I hid it to keep my opportunities open as well. I had just been promoted to a division that I had been trying to infiltrate for years. But it wasn't in me anymore to work 10+ hours/day and be on call 24/7 for someone else. I put my resignation letter in about 3 months after I was promoted. I felt a little a guilty because the company had invested time and money into me but at the end of the day, business is business.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.