Cash purchase from Wholesaler VS loan+bird dog?

Cash purchase from Wholesaler VS loan+bird dog?

Engineer · Schaumburg, IL · Member since 2015 · 22 posts · 4 votes

My wife and I are interested in purchasing a 2nd rental property.  A family member of mine works for an RE Wholesaler that deals a lot with cash buyers.  We're in the position to be able to buy with cash, but I'm wondering if I'm better off finding my own deal and financing (20% down instead of 100%, the rest would go to our taxable brokerage account).

I have no experience finding my own sellers, so this would likely be a large time investment.  I also understand the benefits of buying with leverage over cash.  I'm only looking to purchase 1 property at this time though, so using the cash to put 20% down on (5) properties isn't an option.  Really just comparing finding my own deal and putting 20% down, or using a wholesaler to get a 100% cash deal.

This is likely going to be a rehab that we'll live in for a few months and then hold long term for positive cash flow.

Thanks,

Ryan

0Reply
18 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Fresno, CA · Member since 2014 · 15 posts · 3 votes
    11y

    Wholesale is ok if you do not have the time or sources to locate property. Just like any other purchase if it is a solid deal why not. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.