Best College Towns to invest in?

Best College Towns to invest in?

Rental Property Investor · Catonsville MD · Member since 2015 · 135 posts · 44 votes

Hello,

My husband and I will be moving to Aiken, SC this year and we would like to start our Real Estate investing careers. My husband will keep is W-2 job, I however will be doing REI full time. We are thinking to focus on buying in college towns and renting to students. I am looking for any advice such as how do we figure out the best college in the area to focus on? We are not adverse to having a management company. My daughter is going to College in Virginia and we are thinking of buying there ( although she is finishing up and would not be renting from us as she already signed a lease for next year). She is in Lynchburg VA. But since she is finishing up we are thinking it would make more sense to stay closer to Aiken. Any advice would be appreciated!

0Reply
13 views

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor/Builder · North Augusta, SC · Member since 2013 · 128 posts · 29 votes
    11y

    Welcome, Laura.  Have you thought about investing in Aiken?  It is home to The University of South Carolina Aiken, a small but highly regarded school.  Let me know if I can help, and welcome!

  • Rental Property Investor · Catonsville MD · Member since 2015 · 135 posts · 44 votes
    11y

    Yes we are going to definitely look into investing in Aiken. My other daughter will be attending USC Aiken. 

  • Realtor/Builder · North Augusta, SC · Member since 2013 · 128 posts · 29 votes
    11y

    Glad to hear it.  Aiken is a wonderful place.  Best of luck to you all.  Don't hesitate to contact me if you need anything locally.  There are a few others from the area on here as well.  Lots of good people.

  • Investor · Aiken, SC · Member since 2014 · 398 posts · 120 votes
    11y

    Hey @Laura Tokgozoglu

     welcome to BP, and welcome to Aiken.  Its a great place to live.  Hopefully we will see you around some.

  • Rental Property Investor · Catonsville MD · Member since 2015 · 135 posts · 44 votes
    11y

    Thank you Jesse!  

    We are still waiting for the official "go ahead" from my husbands HR department. It is hard to wait. Our neighbors house just sold( I felt it was over priced so I was very happy to see it sell!) and the real estate market is very good her in Dayton MD. I am anxious to get our house listed, but keeping the faith that it will happen at the right time. We are hoping to buy a historic house in Aiken, in the historic district downtown and there is not much there that excites me right now, so hopefully more will come on the market in the next month or so.

  • Property Manager · Tallahassee, FL · Member since 2014 · 20 posts · 5 votes
    11y

    If you ever decide to expand definitely consider Tallahassee. We are home to FSU, FAMU and TCC.  For example I recently brokered a deal for a client that purchased a townhome for $60k which rents for $1550/month.  In addition I'm currently developing a duplex near the same university that is scheduled to bring in a GPI of $4,200.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Tallahassee, FL · Member since 2014 · 462 posts · 237 votes
    11y

    Hey Laura, tallahassee is the place to be for student rentals. I'm going to have some turnkey properties that will have a great roi. Let me know if you'd be interested in being added to my turnkey buyers list.

    Thanks

    Tim Hall

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.