What direction to go

What direction to go

Portland, OR · Member since 2014 · 4 posts · 0 votes

I am 25 years old and not sure which direction I should go. My parents are real estate investors in Portland Oregon and my dad also does remodeling for other people. I have helped him with it for about 5 years. They also manage all their properties as well. 

I know I want to work in real estate just not sure what is best for me.

I'm thinking of getting my property management license and starting a business with that,

Or I could get a real estate licence, though I do not want to be a real estate agent, I would just get it for the MLS.

Ignore both and focus on finding a house to invest in. And finding some work to do on fixing others peoples house. 

I don't wont to be a handyman my entire life like my dad has. And I think getting a real estate licence would be a waste since I don't want to do that either. 

0Reply
11 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Portland, OR · Member since 2015 · 153 posts · 105 votes
    11y

    Have you thought about getting an appraisal or inspector license? 

    If you're going to purchase real estate for yourself, getting your RE license is a decent route, depending on how much you plan to purchase.  

  • Bend, OR · Member since 2015 · 20 posts · 5 votes
    11y

    Hi Kyle,

    That depends on what your goals are. No one can tell you which direction is right for you. You said that you don't want to be a handy man or real estate agent, but you are thinking about getting your property management license. Why not get a job working for an established property manager to find out if it's something you want to do before opening your own business? You could also work on getting licensed in the meantime. Managing properties for other people is different than self-managing your own investments, and the experience of working for an established company could give you an advantage over having to figure everything out for yourself when you do start your own company. I'm a big believer in finding someone who has what I want and learning everything I can from them.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.