What direction to go

2 Replies

I am 25 years old and not sure which direction I should go. My parents are real estate investors in Portland Oregon and my dad also does remodeling for other people. I have helped him with it for about 5 years. They also manage all their properties as well. 

I know I want to work in real estate just not sure what is best for me.

I'm thinking of getting my property management license and starting a business with that,

Or I could get a real estate licence, though I do not want to be a real estate agent, I would just get it for the MLS.

Ignore both and focus on finding a house to invest in. And finding some work to do on fixing others peoples house. 

I don't wont to be a handyman my entire life like my dad has. And I think getting a real estate licence would be a waste since I don't want to do that either. 

Have you thought about getting an appraisal or inspector license? 

If you're going to purchase real estate for yourself, getting your RE license is a decent route, depending on how much you plan to purchase.  

Hi Kyle,

That depends on what your goals are. No one can tell you which direction is right for you. You said that you don't want to be a handy man or real estate agent, but you are thinking about getting your property management license. Why not get a job working for an established property manager to find out if it's something you want to do before opening your own business? You could also work on getting licensed in the meantime. Managing properties for other people is different than self-managing your own investments, and the experience of working for an established company could give you an advantage over having to figure everything out for yourself when you do start your own company. I'm a big believer in finding someone who has what I want and learning everything I can from them.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here