Is wholesaling possible with a 50hr/wk job?

Is wholesaling possible with a 50hr/wk job?

Portland, OR · Member since 2008 · 12 posts · 0 votes

Hello, I'm at a financial crossroads where I either need to leave my "permanent" corporate Information Technology job and return to higher paying but less predictable IT contract work - OR - find a supplemental source of income such as birddogging or wholesaling. Am I dreaming to think I can take this on at around 8-10 hrs/week on top of my current (50 hrs/week) workload?

Thanks so much for any input!

0Reply
9 views

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Portland, OR · Member since 2008 · 12 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    For clarity sake... in a few years of doing REI on the side, I would then plan to make a decision to either go full-time in REI (my preference at this point) or continue at my place of work and possibly lighten up on the wholesaling/birddogging, hoping that 1-2 promotions (and better budgeting!) would bridge my current gap.

    Oh, and I've got a wife and 3 teenagers. Any advice on the feasibility of weaving all this together?

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    18y

    There are 168 hours in a week. After working your 50 hour job, that still leave 118 hours to spend on real estate and sleep. Could you do it? How hard are you willing to work?

    Good Luck,

    Mike

  • Real Estate Coach · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2008 · 204 posts · 188 votes
    18y

    As scary as it sounds, I am right with Mike on this.

    I would ad that anything is possible if you have the dedication, but if you don't then it would be smart to realize that before taking any drastic measures such as quitting your job.

  • Portland, OR · Member since 2008 · 12 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    Thank you both for your feedback. I'm not planning to quit my job anytime soon, but am taking a hard look at my choices: go back to contracting or stay put and take on occasional wholesaling and/or birddogging. I'm sure the dedication comes easier after the first deal.

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    18y

    Mike,
    Do you honestly think you'll make more at wholesaling that contract IT work? Wholesaling is just a pretty term for contract real estate work. Which field are you better at and can make more money for your time invested as a contractor?

  • Portland, OR · Member since 2008 · 12 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    Thanks Tim. That's really at the heart of my question. So let me ask you (all), and I realize this varies, depending on systems (marketing methods, call screening) etc: How many hours do you put in on average to close, say a $10k net wholesale deal?

    I would really appreciate as many responses to this question as possible, and feel free to PM me if it's a bit too personal to post. Thanks All!

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    18y
    Originally posted by Mike Fajen:
    Thanks Tim. That's really at the heart of my question. So let me ask you (all), and I realize this varies, depending on systems (marketing methods, call screening) etc: How many hours do you put in on average to close, say a $10k net wholesale deal?

    I would really appreciate as many responses to this question as possible, and feel free to PM me if it's a bit too personal to post. Thanks All!


    Contracting is all about the "could". Sure you can do it, but how many of those can you make happen and how many can you close? Wholesaling doesn't pay a dime until the entire project is closed. How will that 10k net out across all the hours you have invested?

    Finally there is the legal issue of dancing around unlicensed brokering..... Let's face it - if you wholesale wrong you run the risk of breaking the law.

    Tim
  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    18y

    TWO HOURS! That's a typical answer you'll hear to a question like that. A deal fell into my lap and I wholesaled it with 2 hours work for a $3k profit (actually true, I did have one like that). Now, back on planet earth, what they will never tell you is all the work that goes into marketing to keep a steady stream of wholesale deals coming. They won't tell you about all the buyers that back out or can't close. They won't tell you that in a bad market, there are relatively few buyers that can actually close and even those buyers can't do an unlimited number of deals. So, while you may have two hours in one deal, all the extraneous work often means that you can't close a deal regularly and can't make steady money. If you can't make enough money to meet your goal, is the average really relevant? Is the average really A BUNCH OF HOURS?

    Are there people who make a living wholesaling - probably, but I don't know a single one!!! I do know several people who make a living in the rental business. I do know a couple of people who make a living buying, rehabbing, and selling to retail buyers. I know people who make a living as realtors and as property managers and operating mobile home parks, but I don't know a single person who is a full time wholesaler.

    Mike

  • Manhattan, NY · Member since 2008 · 801 posts · 61 votes
    18y
    Originally posted by Mike Fajen:
    Hello, I'm at a financial crossroads where I either need to leave my "permanent" corporate Information Technology job and return to higher paying but less predictable IT contract work - OR - find a supplemental source of income such as birddogging or wholesaling. Am I dreaming to think I can take this on at around 8-10 hrs/week on top of my current (50 hrs/week) workload?

    Thanks so much for any input!


    Originally posted by Mike Fajen:
    For clarity sake... in a few years of doing REI on the side, I would then plan to make a decision to either go full-time in REI (my preference at this point) or continue at my place of work and possibly lighten up on the wholesaling/birddogging, hoping that 1-2 promotions (and better budgeting!) would bridge my current gap.

    Oh, and I've got a wife and 3 teenagers. Any advice on the feasibility of weaving all this together?

    From what little you have provided here I would encourage you to go back to the IT contract work AND learn what you need to know about investing and create a plan. Then, when things calm down a bit you start to put your plan in place.

    If you are actually working 50 hours a week now, by the time you add on lunches, commutes, getting ready to go to work etc. You are expending more than that.

    In addition to your "work time" which is probably at least 60 hours a week total because of the above, you have a family. Unless you are willing to completely ignore them, you do not have 108 hours left in the week to yada yada yada...

    Anyway, were I in your shoes, I'd do the contracting work, get things stabilized and then move on to other things.

    One important point, when doing the contract work, either work through a company offing a 401K or some kind of tax deferred retirement plan or set up your own. A big mistake many contractors make is not saving for retirement because they think they can continue to earn the big contracting bucks forever.

    Of course, another option would be to keep your current job and do some contracting during those additional 8-10 hours a week. The return would be faster simply because you already know how to do it. There should be less ramp up before it became profitable.

  • Portland, OR · Member since 2008 · 12 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    Thanks Taz, Mike, and Tim! At this point, it sounds from you and others like either part-time or FT contract IT work is my best bet at this point.

    I'm still open to other ideas as well, of course.
    Thanks,
    Mike

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.