Financing options for 3rd rental property in California

Financing options for 3rd rental property in California

Investor · Visalia, CA · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 0 votes

Hi Everyone

My name is John and I just joined BP today and have spent the day reading some very informative posts.  My situation is this, and I would appreciate any suggestions.  I grew up in Ca. I was self employed and have spent the last 35 years living in Australia.  I have been visiting family most every year and now that I've retired I have been residing in both countries during the year I sold my ranch in Oz in 2010 and bought my first sfr in the central valley in 2012 cash during the next couple of years I tried to by others but could not get finance,as it turns out for various reasons i.e. no credit score for lack of history for the years I was away, foreign assets and income is not acceptable here in the U.S.   I did find another deal in 2014 and since made contact with a hml and by the time I got approval I was already back in Oz so I sent the funds from here and paid cash for prop no. 2, it cost me another 20% because of the exchange rate. My question is this: I would like to purchase another prop, this time it cost 32% more as the fx is going agianst me.  Zillow/Trulia vale for prop1 is 140000k-155000k and prop2 is 100000k-120000k, both are owned outright and have been remodled/updated and have no liens, both are rented 1700/mo after management expenses and I,m receiving my social security which is not much 536/mo I took out a secured credit card in jul2015 and now have a score of 720-730.  by the vangaurd stantard, only 7 mos history. does anyone know if I would be approved now for a loc on the properties or would there be a way to take cash out so I can use U.S. $ rather than aussie which will cost me more. I beleive I could go the hml but would these other ways be cheaper? 

Thanks for any input

0Reply
26 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • W Hartford, CT · Member since 2015 · 130 posts · 77 votes
    10y

    If you have a spare day, visit 3-5 local banks or credit unions near you. It's a long shot, but one of them may lend to you. They still want to ensure capacity - that is, that you can repay the loan - but some may look at the rental income from the property or look at your cash-flow from income coming from abroad. I would start here because these residential interest rates are significantly lower than other options (usually adjustable in the 2-4% range) in terms of the fees and interest rate. To

    If no luck, then I would go to a mortgage company and see what investor products they have. Something like First Key might work for you where it's asset-driven lending- that is, they lend money based on how much rental income the property generates. The interest rates are higher (6-8%), but usually still much lower in fees and interest, as well as long amortization terms, than hard money.

    If no luck, then hard money.

  • Jo-Ann LapinPro Member
    Loan Officer · Tustin, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 713 votes
    10y

    I think HM will at this point be your best friend. You should try at least a couple of portfolio lenders to  see if there is a small chance.

  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    Read up on 5+ Multi Family Units (MFU). Instead of your personal credit, the property sustains itself (using the DSCR number to qualify for the loan). Big cash down payments are requried (ie LTV 70-75%) but that may be easier to solve that lack of CR history.

  • Investor · Visalia, CA · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Thank you all for your replies,

    I did go bank knocking a few years ago before I got the credit card and score. My bank in Visalia really hasn't been able to help me as I'm assuming lack of credit history and score.  I don't know if this year will be different .  I have got a private lender now which I have not used yet rates are the same as hm if I find something worth pursing I will have to use him @Jeff B. what is a DSCR numder? I'm not really much of an investor I just buy and hold rentals so far

  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    DSCR:- debt service coverage ratio. Commercial loans use this as a primary criterion.

    Take the NOI and divide by the loan mortgage payment. The number must be > 1.1 to 1.3 today.

    The banks will reduce the NOI by (vacancies + reserves) so it can get rough.

  • Investor · Visalia, CA · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Thanks for the info J Beard

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.