Real Estate license; Where to go to school.

Real Estate license; Where to go to school.

Canyon Country, CA · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 1 vote

Hello Everybody,

I wish to obtain my real estate license.  I hope that I could garner some information in choosing a school. I am in Los Angeles, CA. There are so many choices for schooling, i am sure some of the choices are scams. 

When searching for schools, what are some red flags I should be aware of?

Are they any schools in the Los Angeles area people recommend?

Seems like most real estate classes are mostly for prepping a student for the licensing exam, is there other schooling that would help, such as a BA?

Thank you for reading this post and any feedback  to the questions or post would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

Mark  

0Reply
30 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Fairfield-New Haven-Hartford County, CT · Member since 2013 · 825 posts · 413 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Mark Aguilar:

    Hi Mark, I am not from your local market so I will just chime in with some general info in the NY/CT market where I am licensed.

    When searching for schools, what are some red flags I should be aware of?

    There is a good chance your Division of Licensing Service posts places that are licensed with their school license numbers. You should make sure to verify that prior to enrolling. (I believe in both NY and CT they have it posted on their websites.)

    Are they any schools in the Los Angeles area people recommend?

    Hopefully someone in your market will chime in. In New York I was able to take an online course with one of the big national providers. My schedule was very busy so the online course allowed me to prep at the hours that were best for me. Yelp and other online review sites for local establishments might be able to help find good schools in your area.

    Seems like most real estate classes are mostly for prepping a student for the licensing exam, is there other schooling that would help, such as a BA?

    I'm not sure if 100% follow this question. If you are asking what other real estate education to get, I would recommend listening to the BiggerPockets podcasts and reading these books: https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2013/04/14/best-real-estate-books/

    Best of luck in your real estate career!

  • Real Estate Sales/Leasing Agent · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 24 posts · 4 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Mark Aguilar:

    Hello Everybody,

    I wish to obtain my real estate license.  I hope that I could garner some information in choosing a school. I am in Los Angeles, CA. There are so many choices for schooling, i am sure some of the choices are scams. 

    When searching for schools, what are some red flags I should be aware of?

    Are they any schools in the Los Angeles area people recommend?

    Seems like most real estate classes are mostly for prepping a student for the licensing exam, is there other schooling that would help, such as a BA?

    Thank you for reading this post and any feedback  to the questions or post would be greatly appreciated.

    Thank You,

    Mark  

     I'm not from California but it seems in every state they prepare the student to pass the exam. Good luck, the exam is not easy.

  • Jo-Ann LapinPro Member
    Loan Officer · Tustin, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 713 votes
    10y

    The most update is Duane Gomer and Real Estate trainers down here in Santa Ana.

  • Canyon Country, CA · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    10y
    Thank you all for the feedback this helps incredibly. Jonathan, I'll clarify. Does having a BS in Business provide any advantage over only having a license? Would I benefit more pursuing that with a specialization in Real Estate compared to just obtaining a license? Thank You, Mark Aguilar
  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 109 posts · 43 votes
    10y

    Hi Mark, the best thing to do is go directly to the Dept of Calif Board of Real Estate website.  Here's the link where you can look up schools that meet the educational requirements:

    http://www.dre.ca.gov/

    http://www.dre.ca.gov/Examinees/EducationCourses.h...

    Premier Schools is credible and located in Los Angeles. They have live and online courses.

    http://www.premierschools.com/

    Here is another credible online school

    http://www.californialicense.com/

    The exam is not easy but you can do it!   Don't get nervous like it did; I overwhelmed myself and couldn't remember anything,  so I'm studying for it again.

    Best of luck!

  • Elk Grove, CA · Member since 2013 · 21 posts · 8 votes
    10y

    Hi Mark,

    In CA you have to take 3 courses to sit for your license: RE Practice, RE Principles and one other off the list. Being a business major, the other class would likely be covered in by your course work: Business Law,  and Accounting. 

    IMO, the school really doesn't matter as you can finish all requirements in a semester. I took all my classes a Community College. It depends on what you want to pay and your schedule. 

    This link tells you the basic requirements needed and you can select a course from a school you're interested in to see if it meets the requirements to sit for the test.

    http://www.dre.ca.gov/Examinees/RequirementsSales....

    Good luck!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.