Buy and Hold in Los Angeles - Newbie

Buy and Hold in Los Angeles - Newbie

Folsom, CA · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 3 votes

Hello BP,

I'm just starting out in real estate investing and while I've been lurking on this site for a bit, I've yet to really join the discussion (or even sign up for an account). But now's the time and I'm glad I found such a great resource.

I've been researching for over a year to find a property (or properties) to buy and hold, as that's my intended strategy. I'd like to replace my wife's income eventually so she can focus on the career that she loves, but doesn't pay consistently. Also, I'd love to create enough passive income to retire early down the road.

I'm 32 now, have a toddler and another baby due in March. I greatly enjoy my full time job, and the idea of building my portfolio in my spare time.

Living in Los Angeles, it's extremely difficult to find properties with good cashflow and those that do typically have a lot of other offers to compete against. But the main reason this doesn't appeal to me is the high cost to entry. I've got a good amount of savings, but the more I researched and visited properties and learned how to analyze the deals, the more against 'putting all my eggs in one basket' I became.

So I'm realizing I need to look into other markets. Markets I know nothing about.

I, unfortunately, don't really know where to look.

Any other L.A. based REIs out there with some sage advice?

Any good L.A. based REI clubs that I should be aware of?

I'm not into the idea of paying for advice, but I will read anything and am looking for a community of people who have been there before. That's what brought be to BP in the first place.

As I big proponent of the learn by doing philosophy (it was literally the motto of my university), I'm ready to jump in, just not sure where to jump.

I'm looking forward to joining the community.

3Reply
20 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 201 posts · 82 votes
10y

@Randall Pomeroy welcome to BP! Glad you decided to join! 

Investing in LA absolutely has its advantages and disadvantages. The advantages being high appreciation and high rent increases. But some would argue that is not investing, but speculation. The disadvantages you already listed.

I am a big fan of finding the area that matches your investing style and budget, and it is very possible to find those are here in SoCal. I invest in vacation rentals in the Palm Springs area, and it has been a fantastic niche for me.

You said you wanted to buy and hold, are you looking at SFR or MFR?

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 201 posts · 82 votes
    10y

    @Randall Pomeroy welcome to BP! Glad you decided to join! 

    Investing in LA absolutely has its advantages and disadvantages. The advantages being high appreciation and high rent increases. But some would argue that is not investing, but speculation. The disadvantages you already listed.

    I am a big fan of finding the area that matches your investing style and budget, and it is very possible to find those are here in SoCal. I invest in vacation rentals in the Palm Springs area, and it has been a fantastic niche for me.

    You said you wanted to buy and hold, are you looking at SFR or MFR?

  • Folsom, CA · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    Hey @Eric Dowling,

    Thanks for your reply.

    As I have been looking in Los Angeles, I've really had to look at MFR to make it worthwhile, though I'm open to SFR in other markets if it makes sense. In L.A., there's really just no money to be made in renting SFR unless you bought 6-7 years ago at the bottom, at least from what I can tell. Luckily that's when I bought my own house, and I wish I had the money at the time to buy more.

    Now that I do have the money, I'm worried I won't be able to build a portfolio here. 1 place, sure, but not a robust, more risk-stable portfolio.

  • Valencia, CA · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 15 votes
    10y

    @Randall Pomeroy

    Hello! Interesting we are at the same age, same location, same basic situation. I wonder, have you looked into connecting with any local wholesalers, if they even exist here in LA? We are at the same crossroads, would love to keep in touch to see what routes we can come up with. 

  • Specialist · Rockland, MA · Member since 2010 · 7k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    @Randall Pomeroy

    Welcome. Fill in the foundation below.

    Check out the Start Here page http://www.biggerpockets.com/starthere

    Check out BiggerPockets Ultimate Beginner's Guide - A fantastic free book that walks through many of the key topics of real estate investing.

    Check out the free BiggerPockets Podcast - A weekly podcast with interviews and a ton of great advice. And you get the benefit of having over 100 past ones to catch up on.

    Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and rehabbers (cash buyers). Find them through Google and meetup.com

    Two Great reads, I bought both J. Scott The Book on Flipping Houses, The Book on Estimating ReHab Costs http://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

    Consider checking out HUD homes for small multi's owner occupied gets first crack.

    Download BP’s newest book here some good due diligence in Chapter 10. Real Estate Rewind Starting over

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/brandonatbp/file/real-estate-rewind-a-biggerpockets-community-book

    Good Luck

    Paul 

  • Folsom, CA · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 3 votes
    10y
    Hey Paul Timmins Thank you for the advice. I've read through the beginner guide and have started listening to the podcast, getting caught up when I can. I own my primary residence, and with no intention of leaving soon, not sure HUD will work for me in my area. I will check out the other books you suggested, thank you. I'd love to find groups meeting in my area, but most of what I've come across area fee based. It seems like I should just be looking for free meet ups with other people involved in REI. I've seen one in Burbank that I hope to attend in the near future. Anyone in L.A. know of other great options? I'm close to Culver City, I would think there would be some groups around here, just haven't found them yet, but will keep looking. Abe Osman Nice to hear from you too. Would love to keep in touch and share learnings along the way if possible.
  • Rental Property Investor · Culver City, CA · Member since 2015 · 61 posts · 41 votes
    10y

    Welcome Randall! I'm also a LA investor and am all too familiar with your dilemma. My interest is also primarily buy and hold MFR and am considering branching out to other markets. Feel free to connect throughout the journey!

  • Jo-Ann LapinPro Member
    Loan Officer · Tustin, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 713 votes
    10y

    the best direction I can give you is to look where employment has stayed stable with a good numbers of residents and diverse work opportunities for the public sector. I believe we are at the high end of this cycle so holds  are a a tragedy that is-necessary. 

  • Real Estate Coach · Venice Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    Hey Randall! Where in LA are you? I'm in Venice.

    I have always invested outside of CA, even while living here, and have loved it. I'm with you about the entry prices here, and there's no cash flow....there's only appreciation potential but even that depends on the time in the market. Since I was a new investor (and young with minimal capital compared to what it would take to buy in CA), I went out-of-state. I love the concept--especially the part about me not having to deal with the day-to-day on my properties since I have property management in place on them.

    Reach out anytime if you want to chat more about ways to do it!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.