Can two parties in Massachusetts do a Closing without an attorney ???

Can two parties in Massachusetts do a Closing without an attorney ???

Member since 2008 · 37 posts · 5 votes

Question:

Hypothetical situation

A House in Massachusetts exist owned by same person since 1952, there is no mortgage or Liens on this house, as far as I can tell from checking Registry of Deeds records

The Buyer, me, is willing to pay Cash for the house (around $115K)

Can the Buyer facilitate this tranaction with the Seller using No Lawyer or Closing agent, providing the Seller is willing ?

Note: Massachusetts is one of those rare Corrupt States that does not allow Title Companies to facilitate the Closing .

I understand the whole process such as Municipal Lien doc and pro rated division of Taxes and so on and so on

The Broker is trying to say a Lawyer must be present .
I say the Broker and Lawyer can simply go play with themselves , and if you want a Lawyer present, you can pay the worthless dirtbag from your own funds.

Note , I have been involved in numerous Closings in the past, thou not in Massachusetts and have prepared more than one quitclaim deed in my day.

Has anyone done a closing in Massachusetts without using an attorney ?

as you can tell, I hate worthless dirtbag attorneys, which is 99.9% of them, and refuse to give one penny to them.

so , any help appreciated
.
./
.
.

0Reply
15 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Jacksonville FL & Middletown, CT · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 632 votes
    17y

    You dont HAVE to have an attorney, (it's not illegal or anything) although I'd say it's worth the few hundred bucks to have a professional take care of it and assume the liability.
    Why risk 115k to save a few hundred bucks.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.