Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 37 posts · 11 votes
Hi everyone. I am a beginner real estate investor right out of college (UNC) and studied business in hopes of starting out investing as soon as possible. My wife and I recently purchased a duplex in our home town in eastern North Carolina that is a nice cash flowing property and are looking to connect with other real estate investors in the research triangle park.
I am currently playing professional baseball in the Tampa Rays organization and hope to add to our real estate portfolio in the off season. I just joined bigger pockets after listening to the podcast for over a year. Hope to connect with anyone else living/working/looking in the triangle area!
If you are someone who has regularly invested or is invested in one of those three markets, I would love to speak offline about your projects and what the process has been like in the area.
Welcome to BP! Sounds like you're off to the right start with the Duplex purchase.
Raleigh is a great area in that it is experiencing both population and job growth, but those dynamics also make it very competitive from a REI perspective.
Once you hit the off season you should come out to one of the local BP Meetups that are usually the last Thursday of every month. Just set one of your key word alerts to "Raleigh" and you'll be notified of the time and place.
Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 10 posts · 1 vote
10y
Hi Benton. Welcome to bigger pockets. I've lived in Durham my whole life and own 3 properties and looking to add more. I'd love to grab coffee and chat about this market and REI in general!
Check out the free BiggerPockets Podcast - A weekly podcast with interviews and a ton of great advice. And you get the benefit of having over 100 past ones to catch up on.
Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and rehabbers (cash buyers). Find them through Google and meetup.com
Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 37 posts · 11 votes
10y
@Jeremy Simpson thanks for the response! Still new to the game but would love to connect for coffee this fall in the offseason. If you want, DM me contact info and we can chat before then! Thanks again and I look forward to hearing where you are investing.
@Paul Timmins thanks for the resources Paul! I'll check out the new books by BP. Have read the others! And good idea with REIA. I'll have to register for some triangle REIA meet ups.
Welcome to BP! Sounds like you're off to the right start with the Duplex purchase.
Raleigh is a great area in that it is experiencing both population and job growth, but those dynamics also make it very competitive from a REI perspective.
Once you hit the off season you should come out to one of the local BP Meetups that are usually the last Thursday of every month. Just set one of your key word alerts to "Raleigh" and you'll be notified of the time and place.
Real Estate Broker · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
10y
@Benton Moss Welcome to the site! Definitely come check out our monthly meet up that John mentioned above. It's a great way to connect with local investors, etc.
Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 37 posts · 11 votes
10y
@Dawn Brenengen and @John Upperman Thanks so much for the response! I'll definitely check out the meetups once I'm back in town. What is the typical schedule with the meetups? Or are they typically networking sessions?
Investor · Clayton , NC · Member since 2012 · 63 posts · 86 votes
10y
The Meet Ups typically do not have a set agenda. Just a great way to network with like minded people and hopefully discover ways to do business together.
Real Estate Broker · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
10y
@Benton Moss There is no schedule. It's literally meet up, have a beer (or wine in my case), eat if you're hungry, and chat with the people sitting around you. It's very casual.
Real Estate Broker · Triangle Area, NC · Member since 2012 · 587 posts · 214 votes
10y
@Benton Moss Welcome to the site! This will be one, if not your most, invaluable resource as you continue your investing career. The Triangle market is highly competitive and deals are increasingly difficult to come by but there is still plenty of money to be made here. As Dawn & John mentioned, we have a meetup at the end of (almost ) every month so whenever you're not down in Tampa pitching heat feel free to come check it out!
Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2016 · 192 posts · 95 votes
10y
Welcome, Benton! I'm on the west coast, but from Raleigh and I do buy and hold investing there. Been trying to time a trip home to overlap with one of those meet ups. Maybe I'll meet some of you one of these times. :)
How are these BP meetups orchestrated? Are there any other keywords I need to chime in on besides Raleigh? Also, do you know of any other events, meetups, etc that are going on in the RTP area?
Sorry for all of the questions. I've only been living in the area around 8 months and have been looking to network with like-minded individuals!