Your inputs are highly appreciated!

Your inputs are highly appreciated!

Westminster, CA · Member since 2015 · 7 posts · 2 votes

Hi all,

I live in Los Angeles / Orange county, California. I have reserved some cash to deep my toe in REI, and if things work out great, I can allocate more cash into this biz to scale up.

Since I'm new to this, so I'm gonna have some reasonable goals so they are achievable :-)

1) Goals:

My long term goal (10 years+) is to have enough passive income from rentals (or anything related to RE) so that we can have financial freedom.

Intermedia term goal (in 5 years) would be to have $5k+ monthly income from RE in

Short term goal is to have roughly $1k monthly passive income by end of 2017

2) How can I get to my short term goal?

Follow the 50% rule, to have $1,000 income, I would need to collect at least $2000 in monthly rent. Here are few ways I thought of:

a) Purchase 3 properties in mid-west, about $70~90k each would produce maybe $600-800 / month rent.

b) Purchase 2 properties somewhere (I don't know), preperable in A, or B class neighborhood, each cost $100~$125k, and can produce $1000+ / month rent.

c) Purchase a property near my cousin's backyard, which may cost $400k+ and can get $2000 / month rent. The cash-flow (if any) here is just too low, plus I've already own my primary resident (which is a bet on appreciation) so I can to diversify further into cash-flow.

d) I can invest $300k in REIT index which yeild 4% / year, and get $1k / month. Since it's a fund, and not real hard-asset, so this no good. Plus the yield is dropping because price just hit all time high again.

3) My (temporary) requirements

a) Income stream should be be as passive as possible. I'm not a handy man, nor good at communication, nor active person, and very shy so because of this, many real estate strategies may not fit me well.

b) Rentals should be in property tax friendly and landlord friendly states. So I don't want to take any risk having to deal with tenant that don't pay and stay in my property for like 6 months (California) nor get a suprise property tax bill in Texas which can increase 10% per year!

c) I would like avoid cheap properties or one in warzone even they can produce more % return.

d) I'm willing trade off a bit of lower return for better neighborhood, a bit newer house with less maintanance, or area tend to have long term tenants (are they called B class neighborhood/property?)

e) The market should have at least some population, and job grow with a diversify industries.

f) Price should not have been appreciated for more than 40% since the last crash (I'm not sure the exact % here) .. I just don't want to overpaid for property or a bag holder here. Just want to minimize my risk here.

So given #3, seem like #2b would fit my needs the most. So my 2 main questions are

1) Is there a market that meet my requirements above? If so, any recommendations where I should look?

2) Since the properties may be in $100 - $125k price range in B class neighborhood, is this true that finding my own team would be better bet since most turnkeys work with C or D area? But again, I want it to be as passive as possible.. Technically, if I'm really lucky, I just need to find an AWESOME real estate realtor who can get me a move-in ready property, and connect me to a good property management company, who would then find me tenants.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

Vincent

0Reply
26 views

Most Popular Reply

Kansas City, MO · Member since 2015 · 66 posts · 9 votes
10y

Vincent welcome to BP I am located in Kansas City I am invest on north of the river

P.m. if you'd like to connect with me i'm only interested in one thing associate myself with people that have the same goal

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Tacoma, WA · Member since 2015 · 84 posts · 42 votes
    10y

    You need $1000 a month so say 4 doors at $250 a door profit is fairly doable in most of the south and midwest.

    If you have 300k that could get you 2-3 duplexes depending in the area or maybe a 4plex and a duplex. In either case you should have the cash to make your 1k a month and then some. 

    Pick a city you're familiar with. If you've never been anywhere take a vacation or at keast a weekend trip to drive around. To avoid war zones talk to a realtor who sells to families. He/she will know the better school districts and places to live. That'll help you narrow your search and avoid chasing cashflow in bad areas.

  • Westminster, CA · Member since 2015 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    @Tyler Herman

    Thanks! I never really been anywhere else in US except west coastal LA/OC area. So far I have heard about Indianapolis, Kansas City, and Memphis... Not really sure there are other areas / market that I can look into.

  • Investor · Tacoma, WA · Member since 2015 · 84 posts · 42 votes
    10y

    Those are some common ones. Also, St. Louis, is popular with out of state investors. 

    A little less mentioned, at least on these forums is MS, LA, AL. These states don't have the large cities with big inventory but you can find smaller to medium sized cities that don't always have the crime problems. 

  • Kansas City, MO · Member since 2015 · 66 posts · 9 votes
    10y

    Vincent welcome to BP I am located in Kansas City I am invest on north of the river

    P.m. if you'd like to connect with me i'm only interested in one thing associate myself with people that have the same goal

  • Investor/RE Broker · Eugene, OR · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 968 votes
    10y

    So given #3, seem like #2b would fit my needs the most. So my 2 main questions are

    1) Is there a market that meet my requirements above? If so, any recommendations where I should look?

    2) Since the properties may be in $100 - $125k price range in B class neighborhood, is this true that finding my own team would be better bet since most turnkeys work with C or D area? But again, I want it to be as passive as possible.. Technically, if I'm really lucky, I just need to find an AWESOME real estate realtor who can get me a move-in ready property, and connect me to a good property management company, who would then find me tenants.

    What are your thoughts?

    Thanks,

    Vincent

     Vincent,  based on what you laid out, I think 2b would indeed be a good way to reach your short term goal.  It sounds like you are investing with all cash, no financing.  Is that right?

    As far as 1) abouve there are definitely markets, that could meet your goals - Indianapolis, Kansas City are two major metro areas that would work for this kind of cash flow at those prices, but they are certainly not the only ones.  Now your #2 above, I totally disagree with.  You can definitely work with a turnkey company to purchase B area props at those prices in those midwest markets, and get $1,000 and above rent with no problem.  Just target to get 1% rent/price ratio and you are there, which is easy enough to do in the midwest.  Now you do have to be very selective in choosing your provider, and make sure they are reputable, doing nice rehabs in good areas, and working with, or have in house, property management that excels.

    Finally there is another route you haven't considered, and one which I am currently favoring in my own investment strategies. It works great as an all cash investment, and involves working with an investment company that sells co-owning shares in portfolios of 10 SFR, and delivers double digit returns. A few months ago, I wrote an article about my first investment with them, and I just made my third. You can read about it here: Have I Found the Holy Grail of Passive Real Estate Investing?

  • Rental Property Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2012 · 114 posts · 98 votes
    10y

    A lot of your ideas and requirements are excellent, and show how much thought you've put in to this so far. Keep it up and I'm confident your goals are acheivable! You've certainly done your homework - which is necessary to become a successful investor.

    "Passive" real estate investing that's profitable is difficult to achieve - often the more passive the investment, the lower the rate of return! You are absolutely right - many REITs just don't yield a high enough return, and most "turn-key" providers operate in C/D class neighborhoods - which can kill your returns with vacancies, evictions, and turnover. In general owning properties in crappy areas just isn't worth it, long-term, even if they can be bought cheaply.

    So although finding your own team is hard work, long-term you should be able to get ahold of better quality properties, and achieve higher long-term profitability. Finding quality realtors and quality property management companies is key to investing successfully this way, for sure, and it's hard to find people who are trustworthy. But if you're not content with the lower returns that REITs and "Turn-Key" providers offer, that is your best option.

    You should check out Pittsburg, PA and Philidelphia, PA. Pittsburg is a pretty affordable city to get started in, and both cities have made lists of "profitable cities to own rentals in". I'd also recommend Jacksonville, FL. It is definitely possible to buy houses that meet your criteria - usually you can get a 3/2 in a B neighborhood around $120k-$130k, close to move-in ready, that will rent for about $1200/month. Full disclosure - I'm a little biased towards Jacksonville since all my rental properties are there, and it's where I live.

  • Investor · Jacksonville Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 80 posts · 18 votes
    10y

    Sarah,

    Please send some of those Jacksonville gems my way.  That type is right in my wheel house.

    Blair G

  • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2016 · 334 posts · 215 votes
    10y

    Hey Vincent,

    Congrats on having clear goals and a well laid out plan.

    Have you ever considered becoming a private money lender?  It's about as passive as you can get and you can easily yield 8-10%.


    "b) Rentals should be in property tax friendly and landlord friendly states. So I don't want to take any risk having to deal with tenant that don't pay and stay in my property for like 6 months (California) nor get a suprise property tax bill in Texas which can increase 10% per year!"


    Arizona
    Florida
    Mississippi
    Kentucky
    Indiana
    Georgia
    Colorado

    "f) Price should not have been appreciated for more than 40% since the last crash (I'm not sure the exact % here) .. I just don't want to overpaid for property or a bag holder here. Just want to minimize my risk here."

    I understand your reasoning.  Consider this, would you rather invest in Newark NJ where prices have remained flat since 2010 or Denver CO where prices are above where they were in 2007?  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.