Wholesaling in Orange County CA, is it realistic?

Wholesaling in Orange County CA, is it realistic?

Real Estate Investor · Huntington Beach, CA · Member since 2009 · 16 posts · 7 votes

Hi All,

I'm a newbie to this site (just found it last night) as well as a
newbie/wannabe RE Investor. What a great site! Thanks to all you experienced investors willing to take the time and share your hard earned knowledge!

My partner and I are newbie/wannabe RE investors. I am in the process of hammering out our business plan and looking to this site for feedback and advice on investing in Orange County, CA. (We have a 'significant' amount of cash to be invested), now we need to find a smart way to invest our time and money.

So our focus for the time being is on flipping: wholesale then move to rehab/retail. Is there anybody successfully doing this in North OC (Garden Grove, Westiminster, Santa Ana, etc?). A couple questions:

How realistic is it expect to be able to find wholesale deals in this area: (65-70% ARV less repair costs), and still collect a wholesale fee ($5-10k)?

I know finding the deals is the hardest thing to do. I am prepared for the hardwork/thinking outside the box. My main concern: are there deals to be found if one puts in the requisit effort/smarts. Or is it akin to winning the lottery trying to find deals? (The prices in my immediate area can be discouraging)..

I need to decide if we continue down the flipping/wholesale path
locally or consider a different avenue, perhaps out-of-area investing. I'll be out of town all next week, but look forward to reading all responses that you all are kind enough to give!

Any input from investors active in OC will be greatly appreciated!!! And even get yourself a free lunch if you are so inclined :)

George (Rusty) Eddy

1Reply
98 views

Most Popular Reply

Will BarnardPro Member
Moderator
Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
16y

Rusty,

Congrats on your recent success. I am happy to hear that the education you received from Nationwide provided you the necessary stepping stones to success. :lol:

Brian, your deal of $265 + $20k rehab is 81% of ARV - not a good spread by any means for that outlay of cash. The other is better at 75%, but still very, very tight at that price. Please use caution on these, I would hate to see you get hurt on these deals.

Andrew - Rusty is well aware of short sale flips, however his focus is on REO's and distressed homeowners right now. One of the biggest mistakes newbies make is spreading themselves too thin trying to do everything and then getting nothing accomplished. Remaining focused on one or two strategies is key. - Just my opinion. :D

See this reply in the discussion

27 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · San Clemente, CA · Member since 2009 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    16y

    Scott,

    We would also be interested in any leads you may have, we are generally looking at anything around 400k with at least a 75% (maybe higher) after repair margin.

    Brian, hopefully not stepping on any toes, with that said I saw an earlier post where you were looking for a cash partner, we would potentially be interested in this as well for any future deals you may come across.

    Tony

  • Residential Lender · Santa Ana, CA · Member since 2010 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    16y

    hi all

    my name is Abraham Hernandez I'm a loan officer and i have access to R.E.O wholesale inventory directly from the banks state and nationwide commercial and residential we have new inventory that just hit the market we have banks and hospitals for sale and i lived in o.c and yes they are real

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.