Investor · buffalo, NY · Member since 2008 · 354 posts · 23 votes
I have a duplex that I have heat included in both rents. I can't easily re-zone it. Is there a guideline for heat in the winter? I have a thermostat that is equipped with a lock out and I was just wondering what temperature cycle can I set it at in new york?
Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
17y
It doesn't matter what temperature you set it at, the tenants will get around it. Put a lock box on the thermostat and they'll put frozen ice packs on the box.
Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
17y
It doesn't matter what temperature you set it at, the tenants will get around it. Put a lock box on the thermostat and they'll put frozen ice packs on the box.
Investor · buffalo, NY · Member since 2008 · 354 posts · 23 votes
17y
Originally posted by MikeOH:
It doesn't matter what temperature you set it at, the tenants will get around it. Put a lock box on the thermostat and they'll put frozen ice packs on the box.
Just say no to paying the heat!!!
Mike
are you serious???? I have not heard of that before... that is sad...
Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
17y
That's EVERYWHERE! Low income tenants are like prisoners. They don't work. They aren't responsible. They have nothing to do but sit around all day and figure out how to get that temperature to 80 degrees in the middle of the winter with one window wide open!!!
Real Estate Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2008 · 105 posts · 69 votes
16y
Depends on what part of NYS. In NYC, in the day (6AM-10PM) if the temperature is below 55 degrees outside, it must be at least 68 degrees inside; at night (10PM-6AM) if the temperature falls below 40 degrees outside, it must be at least 55 degrees inside.