Required paperwork when signing a rental agreement in Michigan

Required paperwork when signing a rental agreement in Michigan

Real Estate Investor · Sterling Heights, MI · Member since 2009 · 71 posts · 14 votes

As I am still working on fixing up my first rental property (in Michigan) and getting it ready for rent, I am simultaneously trying to do my homework regarding the necessary paperwork needed for signing the rental agreement.

By that I mean, what do I need to give a tenant when he moves in?

1. Rental agreement
2. Inventory Checklist (of items in the house and their condition)
3. I heard that a lead based paint disclosure is required also (house was built in 1954) - where can I get such a brochure from?

Is there anything else that I missing?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

0Reply
9 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Rochester Hills, MI · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    17y
  • Real Estate Broker · Rochester Hills, MI · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    17y

    Also check out these two links - they describe some info you will need - for example - your checklist must contain certain things in specific type size - no kidding.

    Good to check with a lawyer before you do any of this to make sure your lease / move in check list etc...is up to snuff.

    http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/mcl/pdf/mcl-Act-348-of-1972.pdf

    http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/mcl/pdf/mcl-Act-454-of-1978.pdf

  • Real Estate Investor · Sterling Heights, MI · Member since 2009 · 71 posts · 14 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Scott M.:
    Also check out these two links - they describe some info you will need - for example - your checklist must contain certain things in specific type size - no kidding.

    Good to check with a lawyer before you do any of this to make sure your lease / move in check list etc...is up to snuff.

    http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/mcl/pdf/mcl-Act-348-of-1972.pdf

    http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/mcl/pdf/mcl-Act-454-of-1978.pdf



    thanks Scott, appreciate the help.
  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Grand Blanc, MI · Member since 2008 · 885 posts · 316 votes
    17y

    I would also advise that you have the tenant sign a seperate addendum that indicates there are adequate smoke detectors in the home and that they're 100% functional the time that the tenant took posession. Furthermore, have the addendum say that it's the tenant's responsibility to test them monthly and install new batteries.

    I say this because I recently had a fire in a property and the smoke detectors were investigated.

  • Real Estate Investor · Sterling Heights, MI · Member since 2009 · 71 posts · 14 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Mark Yuschak:
    I would also advise that you have the tenant sign a seperate addendum that indicates there are adequate smoke detectors in the home and that they're 100% functional the time that the tenant took posession. Furthermore, have the addendum say that it's the tenant's responsibility to test them monthly and install new batteries.

    I say this because I recently had a fire in a property and the smoke detectors were investigated.


    Thanks Mark, That's a great point. I will think of that when setting up the rental agreement.
  • Property Manager · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2009 · 33 posts · 8 votes
    17y

    Nick,
    There are a number of resources you can check out for free.
    You will definitely want to familiarize yourself with the tenant/landlord laws for Michigan when it comes to your residential lease agreement. You can simply go to www.hud.gov and search for MI.

    Best of luck!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.