Beginner Questions

6 Replies

I'm new to all of this and haven't even got started or know where to start. Question to you guys, what needs to be done in order to get started in investing? I do NOT have tons of money and don't know what kinda finances needed to get it going? Also, are there any seminars, classes, etc. going on around the Toledo/Maumee/Perrysburg/BG Ohio area?? Any advice is welcome.

Hi, Elisa and welcome to the world of real estate investing! 

I think you're off to a great start by joining BP so congrats on that. If you're low on a capital at this point, I would be careful going the seminar route. There are a lot of great resources and training for free here on BP to get you started and begin planning out your goals and strategy. The BP podcast is another awesome resource on here to start your training.

Another step would be to check for a local Real Estate Investor Association in your area and start networking with other investors in your area. Hear from them about what's working and develop some relationships. Talking with others that are currently doing the business is going to be your most valuable training. 

Yikes that's awesome Tim. Shows me it can be done

Hey man welcome to BP! First I recommend you avoid any seminars or courses.

You need to sit down, study, save money, and decide what you want to do. Work hard, save money, and listen to the podcasts to figure out what you want to do 

Rosston is right, it's not a complicated process. The one thing to do is to start to only rely on yourself. Do not rely on anyone for their ARV opinions, know your market, so study it. Do not be put off by others opinions on repairs, find them for yourself and stick to your guns. Don't be afraid to look foolish, i do it every day. Just last night i offered a guy less than half of what he was asking for. It would be an understatement to say he was shocked. I didn't get that particular deal but I've got plenty of deals like it. Do not over complicate it, tear the process into bite sized pieces and then know it from back to front and inside and out. Stratergise, make a plan and execute it! Done.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.