website? using a business name or not

3 Replies

I am new to this business and am in the process of buying my first property for vacation rental purposes and want to start a website. I was thinking of using square space and have found a template that could work but don't know what to use as the name for my business or what to call the website. Does anybody have any ideas? I don't want to infringe on anybody else's business out there.

@John Shipley Don't worry about infringing on other people's business. You are doing this to make money. As far as the website, there are tons of options like square space. I would choose one that has good marketing and website searching optimizer. Anyone can make a website but will it be one of the first options on a google search? You also want the name to be simple and something everyone knows exactly what you are selling when they read the name. 

Hello @John Shipley , you should definitely think of a business name and try to have logo as well, so people will know exactly who you are, if you need advice on how to build new website, feel free to message me.

Hi John! I'm somewhat of a tech nerd so I can't resist jumping in on this conversation. You should use Wordpress if you can figure it out (It's not that hard). It's better for organic search placement and is way more flexible than Square Space. SS owns your site ultimately if you don't pay. If you use self hosted Wordpress, you own the site and you are just paying for hosting. The set up process is a bit more involved than SS but once it's done it's done. You can easily have someone do it for under $150 on Upwork. Also when shopping for a domain, make sure you do it with the intention of using your target keywords. Google crawls the domain name before anything else when indexing your site so whatever you want to rank for, I suggest using that as your domain name and then getting a second one to park on it and use that one in your marketing. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.