Is it realistic that a property owner would profit $200/mo?

Is it realistic that a property owner would profit $200/mo?

Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2016 · 146 posts · 27 votes

Generally through not only research but also live forums such as BiggerPockets I've noticed that everyone seems to agree that the first few years of real estate investing typically do not produce much cash flow, and that you may only profit $150-$200/month per property (if anything).

I have a couple of questions.

1) Is this truly realistic, or is it possible to make more during your first year if you make the right choices? Also looking for help with regards to what specifically to take into account when it comes to monthly expenses. I pulled up a random property to use as an example.

$53,000 property: http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/Fort-Lauderda...

Mortgage calculator: https://www.zillow.com/mortgage-calculator/?homePr...

So let's say I only put down the 10%. So based on the above calculator they are saying the payment to the lender in addition to taxes for the month would equate to approximately $266, plus an additional $67 for insurance, bringing us to $333. Since Zillow bases their insurance rates on homeowner's insurance, let's bump this up to $350. The estimated rent for those units in that area is said to be $1,200. Me being a local, I'd say that's high for this type of unit so let's say the rent is $1,000.

At this time we are at a $650 profit. (And potential for an $850 profit depending on the rent).

So, I'm thinking that either 1) people are saying that it takes time to make money investing due to maintenance and repairs and they are looking at how much they made versus expenses in the entire YEAR, and estimating how much they typically made per month after all is said and done... Or 2) There really are other additional expenses occurring each month that I am overlooking. Property management in my area is typically about $100.

2) Second question. Almost done I promise. ;) Since maintenance, repairs, turnover, taxes, insurance etc. are all constant factors that don't diminish... Where does the idea that you make more as the years pass come from? This has puzzled me lately the more that I think about it. Maybe it's making the assumption that you would be acquiring additional properties during that time frame?

I could not be more grateful for all of your help. :]

0Reply
6 views

Most Popular Reply

Ryan SajderaBusiness Member
Realtor · Manhattan, KS · Member since 2016 · 170 posts · 89 votes
9y

I would assume that the idea of making money as the years pass is derived from the idea that 1) you will accumulate more properties and 2) you will eventually pay down those houses and once they're paid off you won't have a mortgage to worry about anymore.

I am curious to see where this post goes and will be following!

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ryan SajderaBusiness Member
    Realtor · Manhattan, KS · Member since 2016 · 170 posts · 89 votes
    9y

    I would assume that the idea of making money as the years pass is derived from the idea that 1) you will accumulate more properties and 2) you will eventually pay down those houses and once they're paid off you won't have a mortgage to worry about anymore.

    I am curious to see where this post goes and will be following!

  • Realtor and Investor · North Hollywood, CA · Member since 2015 · 49 posts · 25 votes
    9y
    You make money when market rate for rents appreciate so when you appropriately raise rents as the market rent climbs that's how you accumulate money while your mortgage is constant it never changes.
  • Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2016 · 47 posts · 15 votes
    9y

    Assuming you have a fixed rate mortgage, by inflation and rental rates going up, you will start making more money. Also, as Ryan said, once you paid off your mortgage your income will increase. Of course you need to make sure that your expenses will not grow faster than your rent income or you might be actually getting worse as the years go by. Last is if you accumulated any equity and you sell for profit. 

    Check out the tools section on bigger pockets, do a test calculation with them and it will show you the breakdown. That should help.

  • Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Jazmine S., for starters, you'll need more than 10% down for investment properties. Next, yes, cash flow per month is averaged out each year. It'll rarely be the same, three months in a row.

    And the reason it hopefully increases over time is: rent increases*! (* ie. more than expenses)...

  • Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    To do a quick conservative estimate, I would figure it like this $1000/month rent(revenue) = 

    $500/month income - mortgage expense (PI) = $234/month (profit). 

    $500/month expenses - Taxes, insurance, landlord paid utilities, management fees, routine maintenance costs (pest control, snow shoveling, etc), apartment turnover costs (locks, cleaning, paint, repairs, vacancy, etc), saving for capital expenses (roof, windows, furnace, applianes, etc)

  • Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2016 · 146 posts · 27 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Brent Coombs:

    @Jazmine S., for starters, you'll need more than 10% down for investment properties. Next, yes, cash flow per month is averaged out each year. It'll rarely be the same, three months in a row.

    And the reason it hopefully increases over time is: rent increases*! (* ie. more than expenses)...

     OOPS! I meant to type 20%. Thanks for the catch. ;)

  • Real Estate Consultant · Lancaster, CA · Member since 2014 · 423 posts · 223 votes
    9y

    Use a good real estate investment calculator. Most people under estimate costs and over estimate revenue. Do just the opposite.

    Remember, your effort will determine how much money you make. Be smart. Learn the rules of the game and play to win!

    Stay Blessed!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.