19 year old real estate investor - How To

19 year old real estate investor - How To

Kansas City, MO · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 0 votes

Okay, i have been consulting with many of my colleagues, friends, family and mentors about purchasing my first real estate investment property during college. I have have been receiving more negative feedback then positive on the topic. I have been tactically & actively trading securities on stock exchanges since I was 16, so I like to think I have some clue on what it means to "invest" and build wealth(at least that's the goal). The time has come where I'm looking for a place to live close to my school in Kansas City, MO - where I have the opportunity to establish another business/investment venture, but in a new environment other than secondary exchange markets. 

Basically, I would be paying the same amount to pay someone to live in there home(renting) while gaining NO EQUITY and generating NO CASH flow versus taking on house debt(lovely) and sub-leasing rooms(cash flow) while building equity YOUNG - which could be a win or a lose depending on how I can go about the venture. I have started pulling together numbers on buying a home to house-hack to sub-lease rooms to other college students in the dense Country Club District of KCMO.

I am looking for some advice on this... My cousin has become very successful at this game(though he is in the LA market), yet many people think this is an almost suicidal catastrophe I am taking on. But, I see it as an opportunity to start my real estate investment portfolio early, before the competition, while building equity, and generating cash flow versus losing money month-to-month paying someone else to live in their property. I have good credit that i have been working to build for events like this and I have enough money for a down payment through an FHA loan and looking for a house ranging from $60K - $160K.

Let me know what you think. I am looking for some feedback from a different audience on this issue --> "should" a 19 year college student invest in real estate? And If the opportunity arises, then how should one go about completing the task?

0Reply
17 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • New York City, NY · Member since 2013 · 114 posts · 20 votes
    9y

    I wish I had started when I was your age kid.  I've wasted decades now I'm finally deciding to get into the game.  And even so, I won't be able to acquire a house for investing until much later in the year.  I have planning to do and things will have to happen in stages especially since I will have to get creative on the financing as well as be under the guidance of multiple mentors. 

    Something tells me you are going to successful.  Still though, I also would like to read this thread as more people start advising you.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2010 · 504 posts · 191 votes
    9y

    I think you should do what makes sense for you. Personally, I wish I has bought a property and implemented the same strategy you just laid out. It is in fact what I advise my younger, smarter cousins to do. It will be hard to get the loan you are looking for without a cosign. In this game, lending is going to be tricky because you just aren't old enough in a lot ways (years working, age of credit, even actuarial tables indicating young people are more spend thrift and less responsible, etc.) but those are challenges you Get to overcome. I started young (21) so I understand some of the challenges and financing is just one and not the biggest; however, the potential positives of starting out early cannot be overlooked either. Just from a risk/age standpoint, you can take more risk because you don't (presumably) have dependents, obligations, other costs of be a certain lifestyle (we all remember college mac and cheese days) and you have many many years of income to come; therefore, you can mess up a bit the way a 75 year old cannot just based on the number of income earning years ahead. I say do it but do it eyes wide open. PM me if you'd like to discuss some of my experiences starting out at around the same age. Hope this helps

  • Kansas City, MO · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    I do appreciate the responses. Getting incite from those who profit and work to grow assets under management actively gives me confidence to do something myself and self-actuate to achieve my own goals as do others like the ones who contribute to Biggerpockets.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.