So were selling our first live-in flip in 2 weeks, I've found another property to buy that is for sale by owner. I made the seller an offer and he has accepted, whats next? I'd like to get a purchase/sale agreement to him asap to lock the deal down because I don't want to give them enough time to tell anyone they are selling it and receive a higher offer on it. How can I go about doing this? Should I just contact an agent and ask them to write an offer for me? or would it be better to find a real estate attorney or just call a title company? about How much would I expect to pay for this?
Thanks for the info. I should have been more specific though. Our house were selling has an accepted offer and is set to close in 10 days. The house were wanting to buy is a major fixer upper deal and is going to be completely as-is, And is extremely cheap (less than the assessment value on just the land) we may even just buy it with cash and finance it later to get the cash out. So we wont have any inspections or anything extra done before buying.
Couple more details; the owner is out of state, I live in WI which is where the property is and he lives in Indiana so I am thinking i should get an offer/agreement in the mail today to have him sign and maybe a $100 check as earnest money. For this agreement will we each need to sign in front of a notary? Or is just signing with out good enough? The only thing i want specifically added to the contract is that the offer is made on the house and all contents. Its mid rehab and there are new cabinets, fixtures etc sitting in boxes that i dont want them packing up and taking right before we close the deal
Chris,
I would go to docusign.com. You can upload a contract on this site and then you go into the contract and "mark" where the seller needs to sign and initial. You then enter his email address and within seconds he has the document and he can sign for it. This is far better than mail! You can always escrow the earnest money with your title company and let the seller know that. I believe they offer a free 30 day trial. I use this service all the time. The close can actually be transacted through email too. Talk to your title company about that. Best of luck.
@Chris E. I use rocketlawyer.com for a lot of my business document needs. Let me know if you need help with the purchase of this property.
Thanks for the tip on docusign, I used that and now have the property under contract. Amazing how the internet speeds things up. To think this morning I was about to get a contract written up and mailed and would have been waiting days for it to come back. I havent done this before, But I believe the next step is getting in touch with the title company which is what I plan on doing tomorrow. I always think of legalzoom, I need to remember to check out rocket lawyer next time I need to find a legal document of some sort
Thanks, definitely exciting, little scary but that comes with it. I'm definitely going to need to get on that. Because I already have several different things I need help with and have questions about.
More info on the deal Im working on. Its a house I saw last summer with a for sale sign in the window. Wrote the number down but after looking at it closer I thought it needed too much work. I remembered it a week or so ago when I was trying to find a place for us to buy now that our house is selling. So I looked the house up, and decided to check if there were back taxes or anything owed. I pulled it up on the county mapping and find out that its actually 4 lots and 2 houses all on one parcel and 1 tax bill. So I got ahold of the owner and found out it was for sale still even though the sign was no longer up. He inherited it several years ago when his mom passed away and no longer wanted it. He lives in Indiana and the houses are here in Wisconsin. One house basically needs to be gutted, his brother is currently living in it though. Its just layered with one cheap repair on top of another. And the other was gutted last year and rewired and drywalled and thats where it sits today. Both are small houses, 1bd and 2bd. Owner has already bought cabinets, shower, toilet, sinks, vanity faucets, light fixtures etc all brand new in boxes just waiting to be installed. Newer furnaces in both houses also. Hes lost interest in driving up here and working on them though and wants them gone. Asking $50,000 for the whole deal. I have it under contract now for almost Half that.