Buying on Oregon Coast - question about inspections & rentals

Buying on Oregon Coast - question about inspections & rentals

Rental Property Investor · New Smyrna Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 12 posts · 5 votes

Hi!  I'm looking to move to the Oregon Coast and think I found the property that I want to make an offer on  (this one for my primary residence).  However, it's one that the listing agent showed me and I'm a little hesitant to use any inspector that she recommends, just for that reason.  Anyone have any experience with inspectors in the central Oregon coast (Newport area)?  Any that you would recommend??   I know that I should get the septic fully inspected (tank and drain field), as well as propane tank & lines, and look for dry rot/mold.  Anything else I need to make sure to have inspected?

In addition, I'm looking to possibly buy another house as a rental property.  There appears to be a major shortage of long term rentals in this area, and I am hoping to jump into the market.  But I've heard a lot of grumblings that the laws are skewed in favor of dead beat tenants in Oregon.   Although I always do my due diligence using SmartMove (thanks to referral by BP) and background research, I'm afraid that if I get a bad tenant, it could be a nightmare to deal with out there.    I'm thinking this is the sole reason for the shortage of long term rentals on the market.  Vacation rental is interesting to me, but the fact that it may sit empty for a good portion of the year, and that a property management company would most likely be involved and take a big chunk of the rental income, makes this a less appealing prospect.

A little background on me....been living in the greater Denver area for 13 years and managed two rental condos for a family member for a few years here. 

I appreciate any and all advice from those knowledgeable folks here on BP.

Thank you in advance!

0Reply
24 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Lincoln City, OR · Member since 2016 · 63 posts · 21 votes
    9y
    Sabrina H. I've worked with Peter Barton home inspections a few times and had no issues. I also work with a company that works with property owners in managing both vacation and long term rentals (from single family to multi family and commercial). Vacation rentals can do well here, and long term rentals have recently had significantly low vacancy rates. I'd be happy to discuss any questions or concerns you have.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.