Votes
Jonathan Cheng
  • Kaneohe, HI
Votes |
28y.o. from Oahu Hawaii, need guidance

Jonathan Cheng
  • Kaneohe, HI
Posted May 2 2017, 17:39

Aloha everyone! I'm new to BP. I have been working as a Registered Nurse for 5 years at a hospital and my wife is a social worker for an insurance company who works mostly from home. If there is one thing I realized since joining BP, it would be that I know next to nothing about money. 

About me:

$55,000 in the bank account

$160,000/year in W2 income

$2,000 saved every month on average

$569,000 last appraised value of our townhome

$458,000 @ 3.625% left on our mortgage  

$65,000 @ ~4% in student loans

$0 taken from $35,000 heloc on our property

Future debts:

I'm going back to school to get my Doctor of Nursing Practice in August which will cost $80,000 over the course of 3 years (8 semesters) (Stafford loans for school are around 6-7%)

Invitro ferilization, *sad violin...*, with insurance: $8,000 at least

Future W2 income:

our combined income will probably be near $200,000/year after I finish school, however I will have $80,000-$88,000 more debt

Long Term Goals:

Free and Clear our first/current home

Payoff/Purchase Buy and Hold rental property

Pay off loans

Short Term Goals:

Have a baby 

Complete my nursing degree

Purchase Buy and Hold rental property

My humble request from the BP community is to please share your wisdom and guidance with me. We do have a financial advisor who has been helping us make decisions thus far, however I want to hear interesting/different ideas on how to maximize our money that only the BP community could produce. 

Ideas involving how to pay for college would be helpful as this is where a lot of high interest debt could occur, or ideas about when would be a good time to start purchasing buy and hold RE based on similar experiences to mine.

Mahalo and thank you in advance for your time, I know it is one of those TLDR type of posts. 

Jonny

Loading replies...