Kansas City Volker/KUMED rent/flip

Kansas City Volker/KUMED rent/flip

Investor · Ellinwood, KS · Member since 2017 · 15 posts · 4 votes

I was contacted about an elderly homeowner who wants to sell near KUMED. 

4100 blk of Bell 

4/1 

1300/1500 sqft (zillow/county difference)

Desires: Fast and easy. (leave all the junk and no repairs)

Zillow: 167,000 

Asking: 132,000 hopefully but happy for anything over mortgage. I want to be fair. 

Owes: 107,000. 

I am exploring both renting and flipping. 

A real estate agent residing in the Volker Neighborhood suggested the market prices keep rising even for houses in disrepair and thought this 4/1 could bring in the mid 250's with a remodel including an added bath, updated kitchen, second bathroom, and landscaping.

J Scott's flipping and estimating books have been helpful but I want to walk the property with people experienced at estimating Rehab costs and ARV.

Analysis?

KC contacts?

flip/rent/?

0Reply
25 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Shawnee Mission, KS · Member since 2012 · 19 posts · 1 vote
9y

Hey Amber, we have done several flips  the KS side. Would be interested in looking at it or at least talking to you about it and what you do.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Shawnee Mission, KS · Member since 2012 · 19 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    Hey Amber, we have done several flips  the KS side. Would be interested in looking at it or at least talking to you about it and what you do.

  • Rental Property Investor · Overland Park, KS · Member since 2016 · 205 posts · 85 votes
    9y

    @Amber Rugan  it sounds like a really good property.  Here is my two cents...

    FLIP:  

    I think to reach the $250k number you would have to touch every surface and go with high-end finishes.  Without any major improvements (foundation, roof, mechanicals) you are looking at $35,000 to $45,000 (depending on your skill of finding deals/labor) in updates to get it on par with comps that are in that area pulling around $250k.  These older homes require a very specific look to match a buyer.  It has to have the old character (expensive to repair/recreate) but also needs to have some of the modern wants/needs (open kitchen/living, etc).  

    RENTAL:

    You are 2 blocks from KU, so finding consistent tenants would be very easy. You could give it a quick update, do a BRRRR approach and maybe even get some money back on the appraisal. Maybe $25,000 to modestly update the kitchen, baths, paint and flooring. I have a bank that I would recommend for the refinancing if this is your approach.

    WHOLESALE:

    This is always an option.  I know for one, I'd be interested.

  • Investor · Ellinwood, KS · Member since 2017 · 15 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    thank you for the offer @Tim C. 

    @Matt Pritchard your numbers match my novice pencil scratching-it just sounds too good to be true--thanks for the thorough reply

    I will update my progress/decision. 

    I want to get back to kc in the next week and finalize my plan of attack. 

    My biggest need is a team. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Overland Park, KS · Member since 2016 · 205 posts · 85 votes
    9y
    I would do the bulk of your homework on the big expenses. Cosmetic stuff is pretty standard. My estimates did include finding space for, plumbing, and finishing a 2nd bath. In my opinion, that's necessary to hit your $250 number. Foundation repairs can soar to $20k+ very quickly. Roofs are more or less fixed between $6k and $10k, depending on a lot of variables. Electrical can be expensive as well. Make sure it doesn't need to be rewired. That's $6k+. Driveways are expensive. A tear out and new pour is $9k to $12k. Plumbing is a few thousand if you need major updates. Windows are $200+ per window. Those are just ballpark numbers I've encountered. The cost could be a few thousand more or less depending on quality of workmanship and using licensed and insured workers.
  • Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2015 · 222 posts · 121 votes
    9y

    @Matt Pritchard Who's is your bank refinancing recommendation? 

  • Rental Property Investor · Overland Park, KS · Member since 2016 · 205 posts · 85 votes
    9y
    Mackaylee Beach I love Great American Bank. They have 4-5 branches.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.