Are public auctions a way good to start investing?

Are public auctions a way good to start investing?

Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 0 votes

Hi everyone, this is my first post in biggerPockets and Im seeking advise from any one out there that Has done or understands public auctions. My goal is to buy houses at the local city auction and flipp them for a profit.  My issue is that I have spent so much money on lien search, open permit and title searches and yet have not been able to find a deal thats rigth. Any thoughts? I came across BiggerPockets after giving up on pursuing this goal.  I live in South Florida and have experience on construction but zero on real state.  

Thanks

0Reply
16 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Palm Beach County, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    I've never bought at auction but I know people who have and it's extremely competitive here in South Florida. Your best bet will be networking and hustling to find off market deals.

  • Investor · Downers Grove, IL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 955 votes
    9y

    @Manuel Gomez Jr

    I bought a few. It's high risk and high reward. Plus most auctions gets cancelled as well.

    I spoke to a very experienced investor here recently, and he says back in the days, it's the same group of people (he called it good old boy network). 

    Nowadays, at sheriff auctions, he sees all kinds of new people. Even people bidding up on properties with 2nd mortgages / liens, and he just shakes his head. 

  • Investor · Miami Beach, FL · Member since 2016 · 486 posts · 216 votes
    9y

    I have done a lot of auction buying for myself and others. It's time consuming but doesn't have to be costly. 

  • Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    Thanks everyone for your replies, Roman when you say it does not have to be expensive what do you mean? Are there free ways of doing the searches and can you recommend any?

  • Investor · Miami Beach, FL · Member since 2016 · 486 posts · 216 votes
    9y

    that is correct 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.