Trying to find a foothold in real estate.

Trying to find a foothold in real estate.

Glendale, CA · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 1 vote

Hello there everyone. This is my first time posting on Bigger Pockets. I have recently begun watching the youtube podcasts and also read the book Multi- Family Millions by David Lindahl. I live in Southern California and I was wondering how or where can I find a mentor around my area that would be willing to take me on. I am only 18 turning 19 but I have heard that real estate is for everyone. How can I prove myself to be willing to do what it takes to make it out in the real estate playing field

1Reply
57 views

Most Popular Reply

Specialist · Rockland, MA · Member since 2010 · 7k+ posts · 2k+ votes
9y

@Mark Davis

I work for Dave Lindahl, let me know any questions.

You might consider an entry level property management job, gets you in the field, the good companies invest in training for new people. My buddies in the field tell me AIMCO is good at training.

Paul

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Vallejo, CA · Member since 2016 · 42 posts · 19 votes
    9y

    @Mark Davis Welcome to BP!
    I think the best (and free) way to get involved would be to go to a local REI meetup and connect with fellow investors. You might be able to offer what some of the investors do not have: time. You can drive for dollars, cold call owners, whatever the investors could use some help with in their business in exchange for being able to learn from them.

  • Specialist · Rockland, MA · Member since 2010 · 7k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Mark Davis

    I work for Dave Lindahl, let me know any questions.

    You might consider an entry level property management job, gets you in the field, the good companies invest in training for new people. My buddies in the field tell me AIMCO is good at training.

    Paul

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    9y

    Get prepared by having 2 years of steady employment, a good high credit score and money in the bank ready to invest.

    Prepare yourself to begin otherwise there is no point in trying to attract a mentor. You must bring something to the table to show you are of value.

  • Kevin FoxPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · San Diego, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 635 votes
    9y

    Hey @Mark Davis

    Welcome to BP!

    I think the biggest thing is to not just showing potential mentors how motivated and capable you are, but rather actually being motivated and capable. Be ready to put in long hours with what will likely equate to little pay to begin. If you can make it through that, the sky is the limit!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.