New to investing in real estate, and want to buy an investment property. I am recently self employed so I do not have W2 income to show. Have HELOC to use as down payment, great credit, and a good amount in my IRA.
Am i able to qualify for a mortgage by taking elective disbursements for my IRA even though I am not of retirement age?
Yvette, early distributions from an IRA will be subject to state, income and federal tax, as well as penalties. May not be wise move. What you may want to consider is setting up a Solo 401k plan and using that to invest. As self-employed you qualify for it. It comes with many benefits such as ability to take a personal loan up to $50K, tax and penalties free.
If you are looking to invest in real estate, you will not need to take distributions from your IRA as you can transfer your IRA to a solo 401k or an IRA LLC for investing in real estate.
Following are the similarities and differences between the solo 401k and the self-directed IRA.
The Self-Directed IRA and Solo 401k Similarities
The Self-Directed IRA and Solo 401k Differences