Residential Rental Days -- How are 15 days calculated?

Residential Rental Days -- How are 15 days calculated?

Denver, CO · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 1 vote

Hello -- I am interested in short-term renting my house for a bit at the end of this year and ran across the 15 day rule for excluding the rental income from taxes. I wanted to see if anyone knew the specifics for how those 15 days are calculated? As things stand now I have 13 nights booked with a check-in time of 4pm and check-out time of 11am. Does anyone know if both the day of check-in and check-out count as full days for tax purposes? If so, even though I only have 13 nights booked am I at risk of exceeding 14 days? Thanks!!

0Reply
14 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    8y

    You are charging a daily rental fee and they are spending one night. That is one day. Even if they checked in at 11 am and out at 11 am, that is still one day.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.