HELOC for a down payment on investment property?

HELOC for a down payment on investment property?

Real Estate Agent · Nassau County, NY (Port Washington) · Member since 2017 · 24 posts · 8 votes

Hi BP community!

My mortgage banker suggests that apply for a HELOC on my private house and use those funds for a down payment on a rental property (2-4 units) my goal is cash flow of 10% and appreciation with the rehab/fixes I put into the property. I have $200-300k equity depending on appraisal & am looking in the Long Island area for now with the intention of expanding to other markets (Durham NC).

I'm also looking to switch my old 401k and ira's into a SDIRA, which should get me $150k. 

I want to get my finances in line so I can really start taking my analysis of properties seriously and make a move!

Any suggestions? Am I missing something? I feel that HML's as a newbie is not realistic since no one would want to lend to me.

Thanks so much!

Brgds, Tim

1Reply
99 views

Most Popular Reply

Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2017 · 364 posts · 109 votes
8y
Originally posted by @Chris Connery:

I just took a 60k home equity loan at 4.75% to help with a down payment on an 8 unit commercial property. Originally, I was going to just do a HELOC and pay interest only payments. Due to my current situations and plans for when I might eventually leave my primary residence I opted for the Home equity loan at a 15 year fixed rate. I made this decision right when the last rate hike happened, I believe more are coming (HELOC is not a fixed rate). I'm happy with this decision. Also, I did not use my current mortgagee for the home equity loan. I shopped around a bit and the approval process was ridiculously easy. I literally talked to the home equity lender twice.

You can for a fact find a lander who offers fixed HELOC for primary house. We just opened HELOC with 3.99% fixed rate. 3 years draw period, 10 years Amortization. $0 closing costs, no physical appraisal.

See this reply in the discussion

27 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lincolnwood, IL · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    Hey Shaun...I don’t think you got an answer. I am in the same situation. 

    I have a HELOC for 100k for downpayments and I will have to get a traditional loan. I'm approved by two different lenders. You do have to factor all the wonderful 😩 expenses plus the HELOC.

    My question is if I use the HELOC for a down payment and also my closing cost, in regards to the Rental Calculator, do I not include the closing fee of, let's say $5000, under the closing cost space and figure out what the monthly payment for my HELOC will be and place that amount in the Other Expense space in the calculator?

    Any help will be very helpful.

    David 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.