2017 Cleveland Duplex Expenses Exposed

2017 Cleveland Duplex Expenses Exposed

Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 62 posts · 68 votes

I wanted to share my annual expenses because I had to do a lot of guesstimates before I bought my duplex.  I swear when I asked some investors their expenses they acted like they had amnesia.   Since I have over a year history with my duplex in Cleveland (and before I get amnesia lol), I wanted to share some numbers.

These are averages for my Cleveland Duplex in 2017.  Expenses for your property may vary.  The duplex has 4 occupants and is ~4000 sq ft.  

MONTHLY EXPENSES

Taxes: $208

Taxes are hiiiigh...and my property isn't even in the heights or soccer mom burbs. I've seen some mediocre homes that have annual taxes of $6000 +. These taxes can surpass some HOA fees!

Gas: $140

Brrrrrr...You better believe it gets cold here in Cleveland!  And it stays cold for a long time.  My duplex has hot water radiators.  Also my duplex is gigantic (4000 sq. ft).  Gas expense is a big deal in the midwest.  I remember my California days when my gas bill was negligible.. like $10-15.  

Sewer and Storm Drain: $80

In Cleveland they itemize separately Sewer and Storm Drain. To be honest, I think it's because the city is having to fix a lot of the archaic sewer drains. I always see the city crew working on the streets and replacing the old system, digging to China and back.

Water: $60

Water and Sewer is separate but you dial the same number to contact them. 

Insurance:  $120

Gives us that peace of mind.

Lawn-care: $35

I pay my lawn guy $30 dollars per cut and he does a really good job.  Pretty grid lines and clean edges.  Your frequency may vary from mine and typically start from April/May to November/December.  

Just a quick post for someone who might be doing the calculations on their deal in Cleveland.  It's just a ballpark of what your Cleveland Duplex expenses could look like.  The bigger pockets calculators goes more in depth with cap ex., vacancy etc.  I highly recommend it!

Let me know if you have any questions.

If you have a duplex, share your numbers and other miscellaneous expenses!  Do you think my numbers are wonky?

Thanks,

Andrew

17Reply
168 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Concord, CA · Member since 2016 · 499 posts · 219 votes
8y
Andrew A. Good idea to compare expenses. Mine are similar so I will list the ones that are different: Gas: Tenants pay this. So $0 expense for me Sewer: $125 .. much higher than yours Insurance: $80 ... lower than yours. You should shop around Tax: $158. I was paying $216 but I contested my tax based on purchase price and my taxes were lowered. Mowing: $33/mow and usually takes 2 mows/month
See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Pleasanton, CA · Member since 2015 · 246 posts · 115 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Andrew A.:

    Hey @Sunny D.,  How long did it take to get a response for tax reduction?  How do you find the tenant quality to be in Old Brooklyn and do you find it easy to rent?  It appears your Old Brooklyn duplex is doing better in terms of Cash on Cash return.

    Thanks for sharing !

     I filed for tax reduction on Feb 20 and they have set a hearing date for mid May 

  • Long Beach, CA · Member since 2017 · 107 posts · 82 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Andrew A.:

    @Ken Virzi  Did you end up finding the source of the 74o gallons a day?  Wow

     yes, it was a toilet running, got it fixed, but man it was an expensive toilet for a couple of months.

  • Member since 2022 · 28 posts · 18 votes
    3y

    I wanted to revive this thread as costs have grown A LOT over the last 4 years. Would appreciate any updated monthly stats.


    Thanks for all the great information everyone!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.