What's my best play after first 1031 liquidity event?

What's my best play after first 1031 liquidity event?

Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 28 posts · 7 votes

Hi BP Community,

I'm new to the Bigger Pockets community and grateful to learn from all of you.

I am planning on 1031ing my first mixed use commercial building in Los Angeles that I've managed for a few years. The CAP rate on our appreciated equity is very low, given our PITI. I've run the numbers and think we can conservatively double or possibly triple our CoC return out of state.

Since I have to replace the debt from my mortgage in order have a successful exchange, I'm looking at putting some of our cash from the sale into DSTs (Delaware Statutory Trusts) that are leveraged, fractional interest products. I'd be buying equity along with a proportionate amount of debt. One upside of the DST structure is that the acquired debt is the responsibility of the trustee of the DST, not me. These DSTs cash flow at projected rates depending on the asset class and debt load. The more money I place in highly leveraged DSTs, the lower the rate of cash flow. The highest leveraged DSTs return no cash but allow you to acquire lots of debt without becoming a Guarantor.

This is how I plan to free up cash in the exchange to invest in higher CAP rate areas out of California. With this exchange I'm looking to generate passive cash flow so I can pivot into real estate full time. Since I'll be paying cash for properties in the exchange, I'll have a decent amount of equity I can pull out for future investing. I'm looking to start investing in a deliberate, conservative way and look to build passive cash flow, rather than large chunks of money at a time while keeping my debts lower if possible.

Question for the community:

I've seen lots of different plays: Wholesaling, Fix & Flip, Buy & Hold, BRRRR, etc. What kind of play is recommended for someone who has owned and managed, but is new to the world of portfolio building? Secondly, what markets should I be looking in to begin networking?

I really appreciate your feedback and hope I can contribute to the community as well!

Adam

0Reply
25 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dave FosterBusiness Member
    Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    8y

    @Adam Byrne, You've struck on a very creative strategy to manage your debt coming out of a 1031 exchange. The highly leveraged DSTs including zero coupon or no cash DSTs can certainly absorb your debt and if the project goes to fruition you end up with fractional ownership of a fixed asset in exchange for monthly cash flow. If you plan to stay in cash on the other side of the balance sheet you can use the two to blend a much higher ROI than simply going cash without the 1031. And without the risk associated with borrowing for fixed assets on your own.

    There's no real downside to this equation as long as the DSTs are solid and your focus for growth is on the cash side.  Although you may find yourself frustrated with limitations of cash only growth and be tempted to leverage the cash assets - again not a problem in measured amounts as you said.

    The run up of your CA property has positioned you to take advantage of this right now which is a rare combination of events happening only in a small portion of a macro market cycle.  

    The 1031 Investor5137 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.