Is an Architect absolutely required for a single family rehab

Is an Architect absolutely required for a single family rehab

Flipper/Rehabber · Union City, NJ · Member since 2016 · 25 posts · 8 votes

I have jumped in the water, bid on a property, and contract is in progress.  The biggest obstacle so far has been obtaining repair estimates.  I have had a few contractors over, and they have told me that they won't be able to give me an estimate until they see the drawings from an architect.  I feel this comes about when I mention I want to bring down some walls to open up the space. Is that absolutely necessary? what if I don't change the layout of the property? 

0Reply
52 views

Most Popular Reply

Jared W SmithBusiness Member
Architect · Westchester County, NY · Member since 2018 · 682 posts · 476 votes
8y

I think your problem is, the contractors are reluctant in giving cost when the scope of work is not narrowed enough. Contractors work on quantities. They do not want to be limited to a cost they give you and then the scope changes or gets larger or more complex. With architect/engineer drawings, it is black and white.  

If you do not want to hire an architect, at a minimum, you need to sketch out the whole property, floor by floor with dimensions. In each room/space you need to describe in detail what you want done. This may help some but this will depend on your experience with construction and relaying various repairs and renovation items. IF you are not experienced with this, you may be better off retaining an architect on an hourly basis to help narrow and document the current conditions and proposed changes.  @Brandon Arce

Architect Owl PLLC521 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dana WhickerPro Member
    Investor · Fernandina Beach, FL · Member since 2014 · 557 posts · 374 votes
    8y

    You are right, it comes about when you mention changing the floorplan. 

    If you don't you will most likely not need an architect.

  • Jared W SmithBusiness Member
    Architect · Westchester County, NY · Member since 2018 · 682 posts · 476 votes
    8y

    I think your problem is, the contractors are reluctant in giving cost when the scope of work is not narrowed enough. Contractors work on quantities. They do not want to be limited to a cost they give you and then the scope changes or gets larger or more complex. With architect/engineer drawings, it is black and white.  

    If you do not want to hire an architect, at a minimum, you need to sketch out the whole property, floor by floor with dimensions. In each room/space you need to describe in detail what you want done. This may help some but this will depend on your experience with construction and relaying various repairs and renovation items. IF you are not experienced with this, you may be better off retaining an architect on an hourly basis to help narrow and document the current conditions and proposed changes.  @Brandon Arce

    Architect Owl PLLC521 Reviews
  • Investor · Rocktown, IL · Member since 2012 · 238 posts · 69 votes
    8y

    https://www.njconsumeraffairs.gov/regulations/Chap...

    Look at page 15.

    I think Jared is likely correct -- this is probably more about getting something to base scope upon, not a licensed architect legal necessity.   

    Also -- often contractors and others call anyone who draws plans an "architect".   

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.