22 YEARS OLD BUYING MY FIRST INVESTMENT PROPERTY

22 YEARS OLD BUYING MY FIRST INVESTMENT PROPERTY

Member since 2018 · 21 posts · 5 votes

Hi everybody,

I am new here to the BP community so I wanted to introduce myself! My name is Andre and I am a 22 year old realtor licensed in New England. This will be my second full year being licensed and I am in the beginning stages of purchasing my first property ever, which happens to be an investment. This isn't my first attempt, I tried earlier this summer and the home ended up having title issues which prevented me from purchasing the home. Deed was defective and I would be locked in for over a year before it was resolved. 

Fast forward to a week ago. I get wind of an estate, it is in a condominium complex. Desirable location, no serious work needed besides cosmetic upgrades and the sellers are listing with me as well. I wanted some input from the more experienced investors here. We have agreed to 136k purchase price. My resale projection is 175k(conservative) to 190k. Estimated repair costs are 6k, all cosmetic; the unit is in great condition. Other expenses including, listing co-broke, transfer taxes, and mortgage for 2 months will bring me to about $13,600 into the unit. A total of 149,600. I spoke with a good friend and investor client of mine and he suggested I increase my rehab budget to 8k(I sent him a video of the unit). So I will round my total up to 151,600. Resale estimate 180k and 20% gains tax I am estimating profit near 22k.

Am I missing something? Any expenses I did not account for? I'm nervous. This is my first purchase ever and I want to make sure it is right. Ironically enough I've helped multitudes of my investor clients buy and sell rehab properties but this is my first time doing it myself. I am very superstitious and feel if I speak about something before it happens it never goes through but I need advise here so any and all is highly appreciated and will keep you all updated. I sent the formal offer this morning after we agreed to a price and she is having her attorney review it. Fingers crossed!

0Reply
62 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Matthews, NC · Member since 2017 · 135 posts · 99 votes
8y

In terms of rehab, always estimate more and longer than you would expect. In the midst of these cosmetic improvements, you may stumble across other issues. 20% Capital gains tax, are you holding for a year? If not, look into ordinary income & subject to self employment tax. Any cost on Attorney fees? HOA? Insurance? Utilities? Trash? Have you taken a look at the HOA financials in terms of how they will look to prospective buyers or any indication of upcoming assessments?

Good luck with your offer & wishing you luck on your first flip!

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Matthews, NC · Member since 2017 · 135 posts · 99 votes
    8y

    In terms of rehab, always estimate more and longer than you would expect. In the midst of these cosmetic improvements, you may stumble across other issues. 20% Capital gains tax, are you holding for a year? If not, look into ordinary income & subject to self employment tax. Any cost on Attorney fees? HOA? Insurance? Utilities? Trash? Have you taken a look at the HOA financials in terms of how they will look to prospective buyers or any indication of upcoming assessments?

    Good luck with your offer & wishing you luck on your first flip!

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y
    What exactly are you updating? 5-10k usually gets you paint, carpet, new flooring maybe and maybe cabnets
  • Member since 2018 · 21 posts · 5 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Colleen Goldstein:

    In terms of rehab, always estimate more and longer than you would expect. In the midst of these cosmetic improvements, you may stumble across other issues. 20% Capital gains tax, are you holding for a year? If not, look into ordinary income & subject to self employment tax. Any cost on Attorney fees? HOA? Insurance? Utilities? Trash? Have you taken a look at the HOA financials in terms of how they will look to prospective buyers or any indication of upcoming assessments?

    Good luck with your offer & wishing you luck on your first flip!

     Hi Colleen,

    Thank you for the feedback! My 6k was on the high end.. Realistically only needs paint and a carpet and I can sell for near that price. But I understand where you're coming from given the surprises that come with home ownership.I did calculate my 20% capital gains tax into the expenses. I spoke with my tax preparer yesterday and he brought that to my attention as I was curious about the tax implications of a short term gain.Attorney fees for both purchase and sale were included in my estimate. HOA, insurance were also accounted for in my expenses(rolled it all under the mortgage). I haven't taken into account utilities and trash. That point about the HOA financials, can you elaborate? I haven't thought about that.

    Thank you so much!

  • Member since 2018 · 21 posts · 5 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Caleb Heimsoth:

    What exactly are you updating? 5-10k usually gets you paint, carpet, new flooring maybe and maybe cabnets

     That's exactly it, nothing more than that. Carpet on second floor, 2 new vanities, paint, faucets, backsplash and tile.... Keep in mind I plan on doing some of the easier work myself to keep costs down but over all I don't see it being over 8k. Right?

  • Real Estate Broker · Matthews, NC · Member since 2017 · 135 posts · 99 votes
    8y

    We've all heard stories in regards to closing and then the next thing you know a good AC goes down (happened to me last week). Just better to be prepared for the extra risk associated. Yes! Do it yourself and save the money on contractors where you can! The learning is invaluable and you will know what is fair wage for workers go forward because you know what the job entails. In terms of HOA financials with it being a condo that you should request the financial documents that go with the HOA. What are their current reserves (I believe 3-6 months of operating expenses is considered "healthy" for reserves. In addition, are their outstanding capital projects they have been deferring that have the potential to result in a special assessment. This could dramatically kill your profit, come value, and deal. I've seen a community institute a $25k special assessment for every condo to address capital improvements that had been deferred and since the HOA did not have reserves to cover these foreseeable costs. Homeowners didn't want to pay, so they sold before came due but alongside other sellers and hurt values.

    Other thing to consider is what is your plan B? Flips are great and a way to make good profit fast, however what if values slide down or you didn’t estimate for the additional months it would take to sell, seller concessions that were needed to sell, etc. Does this unit work as a rental? Would you be able to cover your costs (at least) and have a little profit?

  • Member since 2018 · 21 posts · 5 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Colleen Goldstein:

    We've all heard stories in regards to closing and then the next thing you know a good AC goes down (happened to me last week). Just better to be prepared for the extra risk associated. Yes! Do it yourself and save the money on contractors where you can! The learning is invaluable and you will know what is fair wage for workers go forward because you know what the job entails. In terms of HOA financials with it being a condo that you should request the financial documents that go with the HOA. What are their current reserves (I believe 3-6 months of operating expenses is considered "healthy" for reserves. In addition, are their outstanding capital projects they have been deferring that have the potential to result in a special assessment. This could dramatically kill your profit, come value, and deal. I've seen a community institute a $25k special assessment for every condo to address capital improvements that had been deferred and since the HOA did not have reserves to cover these foreseeable costs. Homeowners didn't want to pay, so they sold before came due but alongside other sellers and hurt values.

    Other thing to consider is what is your plan B? Flips are great and a way to make good profit fast, however what if values slide down or you didn’t estimate for the additional months it would take to sell, seller concessions that were needed to sell, etc. Does this unit work as a rental? Would you be able to cover your costs (at least) and have a little profit?

    You are so right about the unknown.. I didn't take that into account. I figured since it is within an association and all exterior maintenance is covered by HOA it should be fine. Older lady that lived there didn't beat up the unit either.. I haven't dove into the HOA financials yet as I am still waiting for a written acceptance but I will definitely make sure to have my lender look into their reserves and special assessment. In my experience I have seen 1 time special assessments only amount to a few hundred dollars but never anything as large as 25K!

    My plan B if the market tanks is honestly to just live there. I can afford the mortgage, and it's a good size for me. I'm 22 and having a place of my own doesn't sound too bad. If I decide not to live there I can rent it out fairly easily since it is in a desirable location and I can probably cashflow $500 a month after all expenses.

  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 54 posts · 30 votes
    8y
    Just curious, have you thought about maybe partnering up with one of your investor clients on the deal. You could then maybe get into it with very little or nothing out of pocket, gain a little firsthand experience, make a client happy and make a few bucks all with no real risk. But if you’d be comfortable living there maybe that’s why not. Either way, sounds like you’re on the right track and going to do well
  • Member since 2018 · 21 posts · 5 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Patrick O.:

    Just curious, have you thought about maybe partnering up with one of your investor clients on the deal. You could then maybe get into it with very little or nothing out of pocket, gain a little firsthand experience, make a client happy and make a few bucks all with no real risk. But if you’d be comfortable living there maybe that’s why not. Either way, sounds like you’re on the right track and going to do well

     Hey Patrick,

    I've juggled the idea but have always felt if I can't do it myself I shouldn't even get into it. Thankfully this is at a price I can afford and I have enough capital to fund it. This is one of those " one time deals" that I know I'd beat myself if I let it slip by and just sold it directly to one of my clients. There is a very slim chance I will actually live there, but the possibility of being able to makes me want to take on this deal myself. Thank you for the kind words.. Huge learning curve but I'm taking it a day at a time.. The seller has agreed to terms but her attorney has yet to get back to me.. This is an estate sale so I know more work will have to go into it but jesus christ I'm losing my mind here! lol

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.