How to request a loan from a bank to purchase a home.

How to request a loan from a bank to purchase a home.

Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2018 · 117 posts · 16 votes
Hello, I am fairly new to real estate investing. I have been doing a lot of reading and listening to Podcast, but the most simplistic questions are not being answered. 1. Do you speak to a lender (bank) to check and see if you pre qualify for a loan before you even start looking to purchase a protety? 2.HOW ARE CLOSING COST CALCULATED? 3. CAN I MAKE AN OFFER TO An AGENT IR HOMEOWNER AND THEN SPEAK WITH A LENDER? I APOLOGIZE FOR THE CAPS. MY KEYBOARD IS ACTING WEIRD. THANK YoU, JUAN A.
0Reply
16 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 117 posts · 55 votes
8y
@Juan Alvarez get your prequalified letter first, you can get this from your existing bank who you bank with or just find a mortgage broker. An agent will want to see your prequal before writing offers. Closing costs are different from lender to lender. If it’s traditional mortgage costs maybe similar, however if it’s hard money or local bank they make be higher because the service the loan themselves.
See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 117 posts · 55 votes
    8y
    @Juan Alvarez get your prequalified letter first, you can get this from your existing bank who you bank with or just find a mortgage broker. An agent will want to see your prequal before writing offers. Closing costs are different from lender to lender. If it’s traditional mortgage costs maybe similar, however if it’s hard money or local bank they make be higher because the service the loan themselves.
  • Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2018 · 117 posts · 16 votes
    8y
    @Sammy G. Makes sense. I just graduated from college las summer so I don’t have much credit. Do do you recommend I speak with smaller banks first?
  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 117 posts · 55 votes
    8y
    @Juan Alvarez yes speak to a small bank or a credit union first. If your credit is not established or not good, go with hard money lending - they do asset based lending.
  • Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2015 · 130 posts · 60 votes
    8y

    Even hard money lenders that do asset based lending will typically want to know your experience as an investor before lending any money.

  • Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2018 · 117 posts · 16 votes
    8y
    @Sammy G. Ok, so let’s say I walk into a credit union, do I just off the bat mention that I would like see if I qualify for a home loan. Bigger pockets rental properties doesn’t mention the steps, unless I haven’t gotten there yet.
  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 117 posts · 55 votes
    8y

    @Juan Alvarez correct, mention that you are looking for a home loan and want to see if you qualify. Remember that qualifying for a personal residence is different than investment loan

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.