Finally Closed our First Deal!

Finally Closed our First Deal!

Rental Property Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 37 posts · 35 votes

Finally Closed our First Deal!

It has been a little over two years since I stumbled across the BP Podcast and began the journey to purchase my first rental property, and while it took significantly longer than I originally expected it would, I am excited to say my three business partners and I officially closed on our first property today in Minneapolis, Minnesota!

So why did it take more than two years to close my first deal?

As I look back at the last two years there is no shortage of reasons or excuses I could come up with as to why it took this long for me to get my first deal done.  Everything from your classic case of analysis paralysis to fear of the unknown.  I consider myself to be analytical, something that I thought would be to my advantage as I looked to purchase my first rental property. I can build a spreadsheet with the best of them but like many people, I can also spend hours tweaking every line item, from rental income to vacancy rates, only to come to the same conclusion in the end…it might work.  I would worry that I might be missing some hidden costs or that I would not be able to get the desired rental rate.  Looking back on it now there were definitely a few deals that came across the table that I wish I would have jumped on but sometimes you need to learn the hard way.

So why did I finally close my first deal?

First and foremost, I found the right team of guys to work with.  We have a wide variety of backgrounds, everything from commercial lending, to working in the capital markets, to a having a real estate agent on the team.  However, and more importantly, we are all in alignment with what our end goal is and have a willingness and desire to work towards that goal together.  I could not be prouder of our execution once we found this property and I can’t wait to get our next.Secondly, I have to give credit to the BP Podcast for continuing to reinforce in me that real estate investing is truly something I want to do.

My advice to anyone sitting on the fence is to just go for it!You will never feel 100% comfortable going into your first deal, but trust yourself, trust your numbers, and treat it like one great learning experience.

One deal down, many more to come!

Always looking to connect with others in the MSP area to talk real estate!

25Reply
200 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2014 · 743 posts · 927 votes
8y

There are deals, you just have to be diligent and move quickly. Just closed on a SFH in South Minneapolis in the Kingfield neighborhood that is 3 bed/2 baths. l bought it for $165,000 putting in a $35,000 renovation (new roof, new kitchen, refinish flooring, paint, several new doors, upgrade heating system) so I'll be all in at $200,000. It's already rented for $1800/month starting Sept 1st so I'll cash flow while waiting to sell after a year and a day to get long term capital gain status. ARV is $260-$275,000.

See this reply in the discussion

77 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2014 · 743 posts · 927 votes
    8y

    1/2 if my buys are MLS and 1/2 are off market- 75 percent of the time when I sell, it's off market- 4 sales this year so far with 3 being off market, sold during renovation. They get it for my set price but i pass on realtor commission savings and they don't have to compete against multiple offers. All prime locations.

  • Rental Property Investor · Irvine, CA · Member since 2016 · 21 posts · 3 votes
    8y

    Congrats @Account Closed! Can't wait to see your next deals.

  • Real Estate Broker · Hugo, MN · Member since 2016 · 688 posts · 596 votes
    8y
    @Brenton Braddock. Congrats, it would be interesting to chat two years from now to see how much money you could have earned if you would have jumped in two years ago. Although opportunity costs may be mitigated by the fact that you have two years of education before you purchased.
  • Investor · Bayarea · Member since 2018 · 22 posts · 12 votes
    8y

    @Brenton Braddock Congrats on your first deal!

    I have been on the market for the past 6 months and I'm waiting for that right one!. 

    Like you mentioned, I'm also a numbers/spreadsheet freak! and always doing a lot of math beforehand and trying to figure out; would everything fall within my budget/forecasted cashflow/potential repair fund, etc... and it never ends you know!. 

    So I'm really interested to see your analysis/calculations/spreadsheet. Would you mind sharing it with me?

    Thanks in advance for your help.

    -Sangam 

  • Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2014 · 743 posts · 927 votes
    8y

    @Account Closed

    1/2 of my buys are MLS, 1/2 are off market. When I sell more than 75% are off market as well. I get what I want and buyers save realtor commissions. Have a list of people interested when I sell something based on relationships/connections

  • Real Estate Agent · Clarksville, TN · Member since 2017 · 26 posts · 13 votes
    8y
    Congrats, Brenton! I definitely understand being, at times overly, analytical, but I think you said it all: plan for it and go for it! And having a good team of people to work with can make all the difference!
  • Rental Property Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 37 posts · 35 votes
    8y

    @Bruce Runn makes sense.  Thanks for the insight.  Is your strategy then to take the proceeds and invest in buy & hold, cash flowing properties, or do you role the proceeds into additional fix and flips?

  • Rental Property Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 37 posts · 35 votes
    8y

    Thanks @Derek L.!  I appreciate it!

  • Rental Property Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 37 posts · 35 votes
    8y

    Thanks @Amber Gonion!  Yes, it definitely would be interesting to see where I would be in my real estate investing career now had I started two years ago but I'm still in my mid-twenties and have a long investing career ahead of me.  I'm not going to get too hung up on those two years.

    How long have you been running the Gonion Group?  Looks like you guys are pretty multifaceted when it comes to helping investors. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 37 posts · 35 votes
    8y

    Thank you @Sangam Baligar!  Shoot a message to me via my inbox and we can connect and I can share it with you.

  • Rental Property Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 37 posts · 35 votes
    8y

    @Sarah Ellis "plan for it and go for it!" I love that saying!  Will definitely be using that one more often.  Thanks!

  • Rental Property Investor · Kalamazoo, MI · Member since 2018 · 12 posts · 28 votes
    8y

    Congrats! Looking to close on my second deal after years of waiting. I hope this investment proves to be everything you've hoped and worked for it to be. Cheers! 

  • Ian WalshBusiness Member
    Lender · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Congrats!!  Go make some money.

  • Rental Property Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 6 votes
    8y
    @Brenton Braddock congrats!!
  • Rental Property Investor · Greater Chicago Area · Member since 2018 · 21 posts · 2 votes
    8y
    Congratulations my friend. That’s amazing. Happy for you.
  • Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes
    8y
    @Brenton Braddock Congratulations!
  • Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2014 · 743 posts · 927 votes
    8y

    @Account Closed

    some end up being 1031’s, some get reinvested, some become seed money so future buys can be all cash

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Dallas, TX · Member since 2018 · 25 posts · 5 votes
    8y
    @Brenton Braddock Congratulations on your first rental property !! What kind of property did you buy??
  • Member since 2018 · 44 posts · 15 votes
    8y

    Good luck!

  • Investor · Camas, WA · Member since 2014 · 95 posts · 91 votes
    8y

    @Account Closed Congratulations! I'm hoping to purchase my first investment property by the end of the year, so reading about others closing on their first deal in the forums is always motivating! Now that you have your team in place, it's time to search for deal #2 and beyond!

  • Rental Property Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 37 posts · 35 votes
    8y

    Thank you @Travis Henry! Absolutely, on to #2!

  • Rental Property Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 37 posts · 35 votes
    8y

    @Bruce Runn makes sense! Sounds like you have quite the operation running.  

  • John McSherryPro Member
    Investor · Nassau County, NY · Member since 2012 · 56 posts · 13 votes
    8y
    Congrats! Are you searching in New York as well?
  • Alex CraigBusiness Member
    Real Estate Professional · Memphis, TN · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Congrats. Keep it up!

  • Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2016 · 46 posts · 11 votes
    8y

    Congrats!  It must feel amazing.  Best of luck on this property and the many more to come.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.