First Hack in Los Angeles

First Hack in Los Angeles

Member since 2018 · 8 posts · 1 vote

Just made my first post here to introduce myself so won't go into that too much, but I'd like to start this post with this question, and elaborate on it a bit below: Is it feasible for a first time investor to start investing in Los Angeles real estate? 

My business partner and I will be using our own funding and creative financing to purchase our first hack (we are currently renters). We live in Los Angeles and rent a nice enough apartment, but housing prices are sky high. I have a full time corporate job here with a salary that makes it hard to justify walking away from. Ultimately (and hopefully in the near future), walking away from this 9-5 is the goal, but first we need enough cash flow to do that. 

With that being said, my current predicament is this: It seems very difficult to start investing in LA because the only multi family homes under 400k are in VERY undesirable areas, but this is where my job is so I can't leave town for a more desirable place to invest in real estate. 

Final Question: What would you do? 

0Reply
50 views

Most Popular Reply

Chris MasonPro Member
Moderator
Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
8y

Cool tip derived from a recent local REIA meetup that I'll personally be applying moving forward.

City-data.com has some interesting maps, including how much median income in a census tract has changed since 2000. Find a place where that intersects with reasonable prices, a place that "they" still say is a rough neighborhood, but the income trends of the people living there tell a different story about what it's going to look at 5-10 years from now. Basically, shoot to get ahead of the trendline, rather than chasing it. Speculation is betting on big drastic turnarounds, this is just a bet that the current trends continue, which they usually do.

I don't know LA like I know the Bay Area, is there anything here shaded dark (indicating unusually high income growth) that "everyone knows" is a "rough area"? 

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris MasonPro Member
    Moderator
    Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    8y

    Cool tip derived from a recent local REIA meetup that I'll personally be applying moving forward.

    City-data.com has some interesting maps, including how much median income in a census tract has changed since 2000. Find a place where that intersects with reasonable prices, a place that "they" still say is a rough neighborhood, but the income trends of the people living there tell a different story about what it's going to look at 5-10 years from now. Basically, shoot to get ahead of the trendline, rather than chasing it. Speculation is betting on big drastic turnarounds, this is just a bet that the current trends continue, which they usually do.

    I don't know LA like I know the Bay Area, is there anything here shaded dark (indicating unusually high income growth) that "everyone knows" is a "rough area"? 

  • Lee RipmaPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Prairie Village, KS · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    @Miles Bennett

    I live in LA (Echo Park) and I don't buy here. Why? I don't want to commute but I don't want to pay 800/sf. to buy a home/duplex/triplex. I don't want to have tenants with tenant's rights that I can't get rid of, even when they don't pay the rent. Renting in LA is a no-brainer to me, I can live where I want to half the cost of owning, plus I have tenant's rights! The downside is that I don't get the crazy appreciation in LA and I don't have any equity. I invest out of state in Kansas City. If you do buy in LA make sure you buy somewhere that has not yet appreciated by is poised to, El Sereno, pockets of South Pasadena, Highland Park, Mt. Washington, etc. The appreciation is moving east. 

  • Nabil SuleimanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 596 posts · 299 votes
    8y

    @Miles Bennett

    If your #1 goal is to get enough cash flow to leave your 9-5, doing it in LA is very difficult to do. As Lee mentioned, investing out of state may secure your goals much quicker. 

    If you are dead set on purchasing something in LA and want to enjoy your home, I would look deeper into single-family homes that would be approved for an ADU, living in the ADU and renting out the house. You would technically be purchasing a single family home at that price but creating a duplex. if you buy a fixer, you will force appreciation into it by fixing it up and renting it out, then you can either do the ADU at the same time or BRRR it and take the money out to build the ADU. This strategy is not quick, and it will require a decent amount of money up front. But you can get a 203k loan/ traditional if you have the funds to put larger amounts down.

    El Sereno is great, and has plenty of duplex opportunities, I invested in South Pas & Pas, which have been great, but I can comfortably say that my next investment will be out of state. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2016 · 553 posts · 314 votes
    8y

    This is where people experiment with investing as tenants in common.

  • Member since 2018 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    @Chris Mason Thanks for that detailed reply! City-Data seems like it's a great resource anywhere. In LA there are certainly places that fall into this category. Unfortunately, finding reasonable prices is the tough, near impossible part. Culver City, and Inglewood are the two dark shades on this map that standout to me - Culver City has more young professionals than ever, and Inglewood is getting the new stadium for the Chargers/Rams. Inglewood appears to be my best bet at the moment (However, not someone I'd want to live yet. Perhaps in a few years it will be "livable." I don't mean this to sound snobby, it's just the reality of that area right now.)

    With that being said, still not sold on LA! I'm going to do some digging and see what else I turn up. 

  • Member since 2018 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    @Lee Ripma Thank you so much for responding, Lee. I actually used to live in Hollywood, and have since moved to West LA. It's very interesting to hear you say that you are a real estate investor and are renting. It's something I haven't come across too often in my studies - so I'm very intrigued. Echo Park is a great area (also seems to be getting nicer every year), so it seems to me like it may be a decent long term investment opportunity. Purchase a rehab single family home below market value with a conventional loan, FHA loan, or 203k loan (to include repairs), depending on your liquid capital, hold onto it for a few years and let appreciation do it's thing. It's a long-term strategy and is contingent on your ability to make the payments on yours loans, but if you're living there already could be worth it?

    My other follow-up is regarding your out-of-state investments. How did you become knowledgeable in the Kansas City Market, and beyond that, knowledgeable in your target neighborhood? How many properties do you own in KC? How do you manage the properties there? How frequently do you go there? Do you invest under an LLC or Corporation, or are you a sole proprietorship? I apologize for all of these questions, but it seems as though this works for you, and I'd love for it to work for me as well. I have a life here in LA, and leaving it behind to pursue real estate investing is certainly doable, but it wouldn't be ideal.

    Thanks, Lee! 

  • Member since 2018 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    @Nabil Suleiman Thanks for replying to my post, Nabil! Yes, my number 1 goal is to get enough cash flow to leave my 9-5. The ADU idea is a great idea, I'm just not sure I'm prepared to take that steep of a downgrade from my current living situation. Though I understand it is a short(ish)-term solution, it would be still be quite a change.

    Investing out of state is something that is becoming more and more attractive. The question has become - do I need to live in that state close the neighborhood I'm investing in? You mentioned that your next investments will be out of state, though you do have some properties in Pasadena and S Pasadena. Will you be moving out of state, or will you stay in the LA area? Either way, curious as to your plans to manage these properties remotely. 

    Thanks, Nabil! 

  • Lee RipmaPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Prairie Village, KS · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    @Miles Bennett

    Check out my other posts, I have already detailed all this info since folks ask me frequently. 

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/48/topics/601...

    I can rent a nice apartment in a nice area for 2800 a month and I have rent control and don't have to make any repairs. I don't see the value in buying a primary residence in LA. I don't see the value in house-hacking in LA. The 5plex I live in is worth about 2.5M. 

  • Nabil SuleimanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 596 posts · 299 votes
    8y

    @Miles Bennett

    Hi Miles, there's no need to change your living situation. Invest out of state and you can stay enjoying where you live. 

    You do not need to live anywhere near the neighboorhood you're investing in. What it mainly takes is the due diligence to read deep into what and why certain investors invest where they do, and seeing if you align with those particular belief systems. @Lee Ripma has a great following and has helped a lot of people I have met personally. So if you wanted to start by reading through a lot of information she has posted, that would be a great place to start. 

    If for any reason you feel like that's not your cup of tea, read into states you feel are more your speed or interest. I know people that invest in Pennsylvania because of the attraction toward logistics companies. I know ones that do Vegas for a multitude of reasons. Anyways... there will always be the shiny object syndrome that will make you want to go from one place to another.. but once you settle on one, then begin connecting with people that know and invest in the area. i.e Lee has been very open with resources, and so many others are as well. You build that trust, your network and begin learning as things pop up. 

  • Lee RipmaPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Prairie Village, KS · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y
    @Nabil Suleiman Thanks very much for your kind words!
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.