LANDLORD OCCUPYING FINISHED BASEMENT OR ATTIC IN NJ

LANDLORD OCCUPYING FINISHED BASEMENT OR ATTIC IN NJ

Irvington, NJ · Member since 2015 · 30 posts · 4 votes
Looking to purchase my first multi-family home. As a landlord can I legally live in a finished attic or basement and rent the 1st and 2nd floor of a 2 family house in NJ? If so, whenever the landlord has to use a physical address, how will the address be listed if tenant is on 1st floor and the basement isn't an apartment? How will the issue with not being able to have Wifi installed in the basement or attic separately because it's not an apartment be handled? In my search for a multi-family home I am seeing more landlords who actually live in a finished attic or finished basement. It is something I am contemplating because my search for a 3-4 Unit is long and tedious
1Reply
98 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
8y

You need to check with your local building department to confirm legal use of space for living. It would normally require plumbing and electrical work which would require a building permit. Most may be doing it illegally and are likely in violation of their insurance. If they are doing it illegally their insurance may be voided.

Contact your local building inspector. 

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    8y

    You need to check with your local building department to confirm legal use of space for living. It would normally require plumbing and electrical work which would require a building permit. Most may be doing it illegally and are likely in violation of their insurance. If they are doing it illegally their insurance may be voided.

    Contact your local building inspector. 

  • Rockaway, NJ · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    This will depend on the zoning. if its a two unit house, only two units can be occupied. you can't occupy a basement or attic, that you couldn't put a tenant in. if its a single family house and you rent by the room you may be able to get away with it though.

  • New to Real Estate · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2017 · 16 posts · 3 votes
    8y

    @Quashema Watkins I was in this same situation in Jersey City, NJ. I was living in the basement and renting the 1st and 2nd floor. The city got wind of it and and I had to remove the kitchen and the gas pipes had to be behind the wall. They says because it's listed as a 2 family house, there should be only 2 family.

    You can technically do it, but if you get caught Fines can be hefty.

    I'm living in the basement and my parents on the 1st floor and renting out the 2nd floor. That will be fine.

  • Irvington, NJ · Member since 2015 · 30 posts · 4 votes
    8y
    @Thomas S. Thanks for the insight!
  • Irvington, NJ · Member since 2015 · 30 posts · 4 votes
    8y
    @Andrew Boettcher Thanks Andrew
  • Irvington, NJ · Member since 2015 · 30 posts · 4 votes
    8y
    @Thien Luu - Thien I really appreciate you sharing your experience with me. After reading the others responses as well and doing some additional online search I figured it would be illegal even if I was the owner. I will continue to search for a 3 family home which is what I actually want.
  • Member since 2021 · 1 post · 0 votes
    5y

    Did you ever find a property. I guess you started looking around the time I did. Would love to hear an Update. 

  • Member since 2021 · 21 posts · 2 votes
    4y

    Hi, I'm in the situation as you and I'm curious to know what was your outcome regarding this post. Thanks in advance. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.