What do you think about companies with surnames in them?

What do you think about companies with surnames in them?

Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2018 · 17 posts · 9 votes

I am trying to figure out if having my surname in my company name and URL is a good idea. My company is going to be a family business with other family members.

I purchased cashmoneydough.com in case it is a better idea to have a generic URL on the mailers and bandit signs.

If I use this URL, I'll probably set up a DBA under the surname company. I then plan on doing all the communication and marketing of wholesale deals under the CashMoneyDough name to protect myself. All other business (rehabs & rentals) will be done under the surname company.

What are your thoughts?

0Reply
53 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Consultant · USA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 751 votes
8y

I think you can do both. RichnerRealEstate. RichnerRealty. 

McDonalds Hamburgers and Keller Williams Realty, etc have done ok. 

Personally I think CashMoneyDough sounds too hype. Plus people will spell dough wrong more than you think. 

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • China, ME · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y

    @Eric Richner It depends on your exit strategy.  If you eventually plan to sell the company, using a surname could be a disadvantage.

    I'm strongly in favor of descriptive names - names that tell you what the company does.  That's a big leg up in marketing.

    For example, I had my own brokerage for a while.  I chose the name "Clear Sailing Realty".  

    We're in a coastal town, so the imagery and colors were chosen to reflect that as well.

  • Real Estate Consultant · USA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 751 votes
    8y

    I think you can do both. RichnerRealEstate. RichnerRealty. 

    McDonalds Hamburgers and Keller Williams Realty, etc have done ok. 

    Personally I think CashMoneyDough sounds too hype. Plus people will spell dough wrong more than you think. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Palm Beach County, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    I personally don’t love CashMoneyDough from a marketing or branding perspective and would suggest either using your surname or something else that conveys the message of what you actually do more clearly.

  • Realtor · Minoa, NY · Member since 2015 · 125 posts · 56 votes
    8y
    I agree with some of the folks above. Surname is optional but make sure your business name is a clear indication of your product/service. Cashmoneydough makes me think of a pawn shop which isn't that far from the wholesalers business so if you're ok with that sentiment then go for it. Just keep in mind the image it presents.
  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2018 · 17 posts · 9 votes
    8y
    @Jim Pellerin Thanks. Decided to go with The Richner Group (richnergroup.com).
  • Real Estate Consultant · USA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 751 votes
    8y

    I like it.

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2018 · 17 posts · 9 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Brian Garrett:

    I personally don’t love CashMoneyDough from a marketing or branding perspective and would suggest either using your surname or something else that conveys the message of what you actually do more clearly.

    My fiancé agrees as well. So instead, I bought a new domain that was very short. RicoBuys.com. Rico was my nickname back in the day.

  • Realtor · Minoa, NY · Member since 2015 · 125 posts · 56 votes
    8y

    Sounds much more precise (and honestly friendlier.) Good luck!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.