The ABC's of neighborhoods.

The ABC's of neighborhoods.

Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2017 · 66 posts · 28 votes

Hello once again BP Community!

Just a few questions about the ABCs of neighborhoods. I've heard a few guest on Bigger Pockets podcast refer to buying properties in B and C neighborhoods. Some say they stay clear of D neighborhoods often referencing safety and comfort as a concern. Essentially I've heard it said that if you aren't comfortable being in that neighborhood at night then that is a D or lower location. I also heard of the ABCs of neighborhoods referencing median income levels of residents in the area.


I mean no disrespect with this question if these letters represent a community in a negative light. This is not my intent. I'm just trying to get a better understanding. My question is this, Are the A,B,C,D and F rankings subjective to each investor? If this is not the case then where are people pulling this info? Are they just making it up as it applies to them and their investment interest? I would guess relating to income that A+/A is a upper class neighborhood with high median income levels. This would be like 6 figures. B would represent upper middle class, C middle class, D close to or at the poverty level and F I hear doesn't really exist. Or does it? 

I'm not here saying one is better than the other because each investor looks in every type of neighbor based on their own interest. Any light shed on this issue will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

1Reply
29 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Contractor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    every investor will have slightly different definitions. Here's a guideline

    A - upper class. Covers the broadest range in terms of income level. Not many rentals in these neighborhoods 

    B - more like your working class, some white collar and some blue collar further along in careers. Safe  neighborhoods but houses might be on the small side, smaller lots etc

    C - Blue collar down to perhaps shift manager at McDonald's kind of thing.  

    D - very low income. Lot of section 8. Run down properties. Some would even call this war zone as gang activity could be here

    F- not really a thing, but gang activity and warzone would be here if we give class D a little credit

  • Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2017 · 66 posts · 28 votes
    7y

    Thanks @Allan Smith for helping to clear this up. I often hear this but couldn't quite figure out how one relates to another. But this is good help! Thank you.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.