Is Multi Family Excitement / Prices getting ahead of itself?

Is Multi Family Excitement / Prices getting ahead of itself?

Michael ZuberPro Member
Member since 2018 · 111 posts · 121 votes

I suspect a lot of folks who come to BiggerPockets are like me a Busy Professional who works 60 Hour Work Weeks, has a growing Family and is Desperate to find some type of Side Hustle that can over time establish Financial Freedom.

As real estate investing comes in vogue again I am seeing lots of excitement around buying units and big units as a first investment.  I get it, owning an apartment building is exciting, the value add possibilities are outstanding if purchased correctly and the cash flow can be life changing.

However after 15+ years of investing and owner of small apartment buildings I can tell you the excitement is getting a little a head of itself.  Frankly I see a possibility if the trend continues that Multi Family Properties will be over priced but still purchased by new investors (Think Single Family Homes in 2008).  This will lead to 1-2 years of hard lessons learned before investors either give up and sell at a loss or give it back to the bank.

Running Apartment building in C class areas is hard work and you should never pay A price Cap Rate is C Class Areas.

In the end run your numbers, don't get excited by Excel cash flow and please don't over spend because of bidding wars. Sometime losing an over priced property is the best option.

Remember: One Rental at a Time only works if you can hold for the long term through any market gyration 

Z

1Reply
18 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    I sense pricing is high as well, and that we have reached the top of the business cycle with respect to multi-family.

    There was a run up in pricing after the last crash.  Contributed to the lowered interest rates, rising rents and high demand, availability of capital, etc..

    Multi-family might be facing some minor head-winds these days, as interest rates are rising slowly and some markets might be over built.  My market also faces real estate taxes that are consistently growing faster than inflation.

    I'm not a buyer right now, except for the occasional value add deal.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.