Turning my current residence into my first investment property

Turning my current residence into my first investment property

Accountant · Indianapolis · Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 0 votes

I am finally making my first post as I am preparing to make my initial dive into RE Investing! I currently own a SFP here in Indianapolis that I purchased 3.5 years ago for $190K. At initial purchase I rented out a few of the bedrooms and house hacked before I ever knew what it was called. I now live in it with my wife and she wants to move to downtown Indianapolis for a year while I want to start a RE business so this house is now becoming the first property in my portfolio and we both get what we want. Our realtor came by and said we could sell for $250K or rent for $2K, which will produce monthly cash flow of $700 after everything. I think $700 cash flow on my first property is a great start so I am preparing it for rental photos and the transition to a downtown apartment but I would like some insight on how I could use this to expand.

I am reaching out because I am torn between the following options..... 

1) Keeping this in my name and cash-out refinancing since I owe $174K and could get around $30K cash for my next property and I could buy this downtown property versus renting. I would be extremely leveraged and a bad tenant could ruin this all before I ever get to home #3. 

2) Selling it and taking ~$50K in tax-free profit that I could use to begin the BRRRR (Wife's Favorite)

3) Creating an LLC and moving it under that business name even though I have a 3.25% interest rate, not including MIP of $125/month , and all commercial lenders are giving me 6.5% and higher rates. In my mind I would need the benefit of no personal guaranty to make this work.

4) Just renting it and not touching the mortgage. Then renting an apartment downtown while I hoard cash to pay for my next property as I wouldn't have the cash reserves to buy again right away. I am afraid if I take this route I will rent for a year or two and then everything I save will be used for our forever home and next thing I know I am 4 years down the road and still have only one rental and one primary.

All advice is greatly appreciated. I have been a long time listener of the podcast and read a lifetime's share of real estate books and I am confidant I want to use the BRRRR strategy to begin building a portfolio. I currently work a full-time job and I also own a small CPA practice that a I started a few years ago that has two full-time employees and it only requires my time during tax season. I would like to be as hands on as possible in the first purchase while also maintaining my status as an investor (if that is possible) so that I can learn as much as is possible with the renovation process.

Thank you!

0Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 189 posts · 141 votes
7y

@Nathan Steinacher if I was you since your interest rate is so low, I would take out a heloc. Since it's in you name and not a llc you should get a good rate and might be able to borrow 100% of you equity. Then use said money for down payment or new investment property.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 189 posts · 141 votes
    7y

    @Nathan Steinacher if I was you since your interest rate is so low, I would take out a heloc. Since it's in you name and not a llc you should get a good rate and might be able to borrow 100% of you equity. Then use said money for down payment or new investment property.

  • Accountant · Indianapolis · Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    Bryan,

    Thanks for that advice! I think that would be a great solution so I will begin exploring to banks/lenders to see if I can find the right product.

    Thanks again,

    Nathan

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 407 posts · 267 votes
    7y

    @Nathan Steinacher

    My personal belief is that you should avoid selling properties. I much prefer doing a refi (or HELOC) and keeping it.

    I would try to maximize the amount of money you're pulling out. It's not about debt reduction, it's about capital growth over a long term hold.

  • Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2010 · 117 posts · 41 votes
    7y

    Nathan,

    The issue with refinancing it is that you potentially give up the tax free profit, unless you have lived in it two of the last five years prior to selling, I believe. Th option of creating an LLC is that you may be able to your LLC at current market value taking advantage of the tax free profit, consult a tax professional. I understand not wanting to sell the property but if you take a $50,000 gain you should be able to purchase two properties right away with the $50,000 then BRRRR them and potentially buy a third.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.