So what's holding you back?

So what's holding you back?

Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes

When I help new investors with buying their first property I often want to know what is holding them back from pulling the trigger.

So I'll ask here. What is holding you back?

453Reply
32,936 views

Most Popular Reply

Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 29 posts · 409 votes
7y

Having just recently bought my first property, I know for myself what was holding me back was the fear that I would overpay, especially in this type of a market. I would get analysis paralysis and basically talk myself out of every property I looked at.

See this reply in the discussion

3705 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Columbia, SC · Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Frank Patalano fear and money

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Chastity Carson:

    @Frank Patalano fear and money

     What are your goals with real estate? Are you just looking to buy a multi-family in Columbia, South Carolina? That's a good start. Do a house hack. Keep gaining knowledge. That won't completely alleviate fear but it will help. When you say money, you might have to struggle to save as much as you need. I had to sacrifice for a while to be successful.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Keep reading to educate.

  • Realtor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Frank Patalano

    What’s holding me back is getting financing as a 1099. I am looking for a private investor who would be interested in doing a deal or deals with me in central Florida. Any ideas?

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Lance Barnett:

    @Frank Patalano

    What’s holding me back is getting financing as a 1099. I am looking for a private investor who would be interested in doing a deal or deals with me in central Florida. Any ideas?

     I would start networking at your local real estate investors group. I would also start talking to friends about real estate investing.

    You would be looking for someone has money but no time. You are willing to put in the time to share the deal. I have done this with other investors before in my local market. 

    Either that or you could start out by wholesaling. Where are you Orlando? Lakeland? Ocala? Gainesville?

  • Baltimore, MD · Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Frank Patalano what’s holding me back is scared that someone is going to try to get over on me. I want to learn as much as I can before I invest. But, I’m willing to work hard for what I want and that to be successful.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Morgan Blue:

    @Frank Patalano what’s holding me back is scared that someone is going to try to get over on me. I want to learn as much as I can before I invest. But, I’m willing to work hard for what I want and that to be successful.

    Real Estate can often be a win-win scenario. At the same time, it is hard for many to feel that the other side is always being fair during a transaction. I don't that the prices are always justifiable at the grocery store or at a restaurant. At the same time I still may choose to make that purchase. 

    Educating yourself is fine but when action is necessary, take action. It doesn't matter how low your offer is. The other side can either accept it, decline, or counter.

    There is no way to know everything before you do your first real estate deal. Some learning is from experience. I still make mistakes in real estate. A little too much in my eyes.

  • Wholesaler · Springville, UT · Member since 2015 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Frank Patalano

    Myself and my goals, distractions like internet, need to work on my mind

  • Wholesaler · Springville, UT · Member since 2015 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Mark Bommarito

    Try done for you real estate in orem Utah Kevin is awesome and the whole team

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Ian Dulan:

    @Frank Patalano

    Myself and my goals, distractions like internet, need to work on my mind

     I completely understand the internet being a distraction. Look at this Forum, lol.

    Set written weekly goals.

    For the first month I literally checked off what I completed on my goal list each day. That helped make it a habit.

    I even downloaded an app and tracked what I ate each day for the last 5 months. If you focus on your goals, great results can happen.

  • Rental Property Investor · Palm Beach Gardens, FL · Member since 2015 · 57 posts · 12 votes
    7y

    @Mark Bommarito hey Mark, I grew up in Lakewood! Lol

    I would look in the southeast. I’m currently looking in an Alabama market.

  • Rental Property Investor · Palm Beach Gardens, FL · Member since 2015 · 57 posts · 12 votes
    7y

    @Frank Patalano analyzed a good deal yesterday. Been chatting with a realtor to begin establishing an out of state team.

    What’s holding me back is some logistics with capital. I have a private money lender (1st deal for both of us) who would front both purchase and rehab. He wants to be a silent partner and do an equity split. I’m not sure legally what we would need to do or how to “properly” structure that. Verbally we agree on the terms of me being a managing partner and he a silent partner.

    That and getting over the psychological barrier that I don’t know these people out of state.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Cody Harris:

    @Frank Patalano analyzed a good deal yesterday. Been chatting with a realtor to begin establishing an out of state team.

    What’s holding me back is some logistics with capital. I have a private money lender (1st deal for both of us) who would front both purchase and rehab. He wants to be a silent partner and do an equity split. I’m not sure legally what we would need to do or how to “properly” structure that. Verbally we agree on the terms of me being a managing partner and he a silent partner.

    That and getting over the psychological barrier that I don’t know these people out of state.

    I would set up a basic partnership agreement and set up an LLC. I have done more than one before.

    I would try to get a referral for someone to trust in that market. There's nothing wrong with flying out there and taking a weekend to meet people and get to know the area.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Richardson, TX · Member since 2015 · 29 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    @Frank Patalano I’ve started flipping my first project. I’d like to jump into more, however, my process isn’t where it needs to be to take on another project at this very moment.

  • Baltimore, MD · Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Frank Patalano Thank you for that because honestly that just open my eyes and for me to take a leap into something I feel passionate about. I really should  understand that because I did buy a house a few years ago and I feel good about the purchase that I did buy.

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 16 posts · 12 votes
    7y

    @Frank Patalano not feeling 100% confident and over thinking

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Luke MacLean:

    @Frank Patalano I’ve started flipping my first project. I’d like to jump into more, however, my process isn’t where it needs to be to take on another project at this very moment.

     Sounds like you are doing fine. It's your first project. 

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Morgan Blue:

    @Frank Patalano Thank you for that because honestly that just open my eyes and for me to take a leap into something I feel passionate about. I really should  understand that because I did buy a house a few years ago and I feel good about the purchase that I did buy.

     Good luck. I'll be in Baltimore late September for a real estate conference. Maybe I'll see you there.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Shaketa Dockery:

    @Frank Patalano not feeling 100% confident and over thinking

     So I don't know the Chicago market but I will say that even if you are experienced you won't usually feel confident when going into most deals. Robert Kiyosaki said in a book that his knees shook everytime that he was at the closing table.

    Try to make an educated guess of your income and expenses when doing a deal. If you think that you can make money then do it. Have another person review the deal so that you can get an unbiased opinion.

  • Baltimore, MD · Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @ Frank Patalano Yes, I hope so too! I will be available anytime.

  • Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    I brought my first house last August. It’s a 3 family house and I stay and one on the units and rent out the other two. I was able to save enough money for a down payment for a rental home but cant find a mortgage company. I’ve been told several times that I would need to have my house rented out for two years to have my rental income help me to qualify for my next loan.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Tawaina Alexander:

    I brought my first house last August. It’s a 3 family house and I stay and one on the units and rent out the other two. I was able to save enough money for a down payment for a rental home but cant find a mortgage company. I’ve been told several times that I would need to have my house rented out for two years to have my rental income help me to qualify for my next loan.

     Have you spoken to a mortgage broker? Not someone at a bank but a broker who searches multiple banks for you.

  • Member since 2019 · 17 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    @Frank Patalano What is Holding me back is lack of knowledge and a plan on getting a power team as I live in Scandinavia. I need to decide where to buy and Then put together the power team. Sourcing agent, Contractor, PM. But I’m working on it.

  • Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Frank Patalano:
    Originally posted by @Tawaina Alexander:

    I brought my first house last August. It’s a 3 family house and I stay and one on the units and rent out the other two. I was able to save enough money for a down payment for a rental home but cant find a mortgage company. I’ve been told several times that I would need to have my house rented out for two years to have my rental income help me to qualify for my next loan.

     Have you spoken to a mortgage broker? Not someone at a bank but a broker who searches multiple banks for you.

    I have not, I've tried contacting the banks and lenders directly. I will differently try a broker! 

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Colette Albright:

    @Frank Patalano What is Holding me back is lack of knowledge and a plan on getting a power team as I live in Scandinavia. I need to decide where to buy and Then put together the power team. Sourcing agent, Contractor, PM. But I’m working on it.

     So it sounds like you are not ready.

    Set goals on how much Education you want to get. 

    Try to interview one person a week for the power team.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.