So what's holding you back?

So what's holding you back?

Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes

When I help new investors with buying their first property I often want to know what is holding them back from pulling the trigger.

So I'll ask here. What is holding you back?

453Reply
33,671 views

Most Popular Reply

Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 29 posts · 409 votes
7y

Having just recently bought my first property, I know for myself what was holding me back was the fear that I would overpay, especially in this type of a market. I would get analysis paralysis and basically talk myself out of every property I looked at.

See this reply in the discussion

3705 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brandon DukesPro Member
    Wholesaler · MD · Member since 2019 · 15 posts · 8 votes
    7y

    I would say what is holding me back from starting to flip is find reliable contractors. I’ve heard a lot of horror stories about them and its just really made nervous to pull the trigger.

  • Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    @Frank Patalano

    I am from a small Caribbean island where rental properties do not cash flow very well. Monthly rent is 0.03-0.05 % of purchase price. We are also an oil economy and the market has been hyper inflated for years.

    Eg: b class 3bd/3bth house in a b class location may cost upwards of 500,000 and rent for 1,750 monthly.

    With that said the market has definitely turned and prices are coming down. So as of now I’m trying to learn as much as I can and save as much as I can while I monitor the changes in the local market.

    Additionally the US market seems to have a lot more options and better returns. However building a team I can trust getting, getting experience and and of course financing are going to all be challenges starting up. Long distance real estate investing will probably be the next book I read.

    I Have only been listening to podcast and reading books in real estate for a few months so still plenty to learn and not rushing into anything

  • Member since 2019 · 94 posts · 50 votes
    7y

    Currently, my fear is just the unknown. This is new territory for me. I don't feel prepared so I'm trying to get prepared!

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Brandon Dukes:

    I would say what is holding me back from starting to flip is find reliable contractors. I’ve heard a lot of horror stories about them and its just really made nervous to pull the trigger.

     I would go to the local real estate group and get referrals. We refer people to each other all the time in my local group. The only other option is to get the Home Depot when they open. That is when some of the the best contractors are out.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Alex Knaggs:

    @Frank Patalano

    I am from a small Caribbean island where rental properties do not cash flow very well. Monthly rent is 0.03-0.05 % of purchase price. We are also an oil economy and the market has been hyper inflated for years.

    Eg: b class 3bd/3bth house in a b class location may cost upwards of 500,000 and rent for 1,750 monthly.

    With that said the market has definitely turned and prices are coming down. So as of now I’m trying to learn as much as I can and save as much as I can while I monitor the changes in the local market.

    Additionally the US market seems to have a lot more options and better returns. However building a team I can trust getting, getting experience and and of course financing are going to all be challenges starting up. Long distance real estate investing will probably be the next book I read.

    I Have only been listening to podcast and reading books in real estate for a few months so still plenty to learn and not rushing into anything

     Number 1 I've got to be honest. I don't know anything about non-americans investing in the United States. In regards to your Island, is there a way to Airbnb properties? I have friends that have done it and are getting three times the average monthly rent or more.

    I would read up as much as you can being a foreigner buying in the United States. I'm not saying it can't be done. I'm sure that it can. I just don't know the rules.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jeffrey Bower:

    Currently, my fear is just the unknown. This is new territory for me. I don't feel prepared so I'm trying to get prepared!

     Do you own a house now? If not you should consider your first investment to be a house hack. 

    Besides that, set up a plan to educate yourself a little every day. Doing it daily will make you better and more consistent.

  • Specialist · Dallas, TX · Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    @Frank Patalano lack of guidance but it's not really holding me back I'm pushing forward the ones that offer mentorship charges $20,000 so I'm pushing forward with networking, reading, and studying

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @William McDaniel:

    @Frank Patalano lack of guidance but it's not really holding me back I'm pushing forward the ones that offer mentorship charges $20,000 so I'm pushing forward with networking, reading, and studying

     There are so many low cost and free ways to learn today I would pass on those as well. Set goals to keep doing what you are doing. Nice Job.

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 97 posts · 38 votes
    7y

    @Frank Patalano

    I only have $4,000 and I’m barely building my credit

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Cirilo Villar:

    @Frank Patalano

    I only have $4,000 and I’m barely building my credit

     OK. If you have time you can be out there trying to find wholesale deals everyday. Money is one factor but not the only factor to be successful at real estate.

  • Member since 2017 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    @Frank Patalano I'm afraid of failing. I don't have any money and lack any resources. But I know REI is the what I need to do.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Marcos Morales:

    @Frank Patalano I'm afraid of failing. I don't have any money and lack any resources. But I know REI is the what I need to do.

     To be good at real estate investing most people have to be strong at one thing. Time, money, or experience/knowledge.  Which one is your strongest?

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2019 · 30 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    @Frank Patalano

    So many options and uncertainties out there, I am not sure where to start.

    So, one of the best ways to learn is jumping in with both feet. So I did. Got my 1st rental under my belt in Section 8. Lots of mistakes there:

    1. Lease is in my personal name instead of LLC

    2. Rent is way below the 1% rule. $2600 on $350k purchase ( similar house selling for >$400k)

    3. How to change the cash flow? Pay down more or flip and sell it?

    Haven't made 2nd move.

    1. Is the market topped out? Maybe I should wait instead of holding the stick when music stops

    2. If not real estate, what else? Gold?

    For sure got to get out of the stock market.

    In the meantime,

    1. studying for my real estate license.

    2. Figuring out how to set up land trust.

    3.Setting up my Self Directed IRA

    4. Working on my life insurance (IUL , LTC) business.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Helen De la rosa:

    @Frank Patalano

    So many options and uncertainties out there, I am not sure where to start.

    So, one of the best ways to learn is jumping in with both feet. So I did. Got my 1st rental under my belt in Section 8. Lots of mistakes there:

    1. Lease is in my personal name instead of LLC

    2. Rent is way below the 1% rule. $2600 on $350k purchase ( similar house selling for >$400k)

    3. How to change the cash flow? Pay down more or flip and sell it?

    Haven't made 2nd move.

    1. Is the market topped out? Maybe I should wait instead of holding the stick when music stops

    2. If not real estate, what else? Gold?

    For sure got to get out of the stock market.

    In the meantime,

    1. studying for my real estate license.

    2. Figuring out how to set up land trust.

    3.Setting up my Self Directed IRA

    4. Working on my life insurance (IUL , LTC) business.

     How many units is this property?

    Gold? No.

  • Anchorage, AK · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Frank Patalano indubitably thank you.

  • Real Estate Agent · South Dartmouth, MA · Member since 2016 · 13 posts · 10 votes
    7y

    @Frank Patalano for sure!  I've been meaning to attend the Fall River meetup but timing hasn't worked out.  What other meetups do you attend in the area?

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Molly Armando:

    @Frank Patalano for sure!  I've been meaning to attend the Fall River meetup but timing hasn't worked out.  What other meetups do you attend in the area?

     Warwick every month and Boston once in awhile.

  • Real Estate Agent · New York City, NY · Member since 2017 · 150 posts · 26 votes
    7y

    @Frank Patalano what's holding me back at the moment is not being able to qualify for a big enough loan in order to house hack in my high cost place of living

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Faysal Alam:

    @Frank Patalano what's holding me back at the moment is not being able to qualify for a big enough loan in order to house hack in my high cost place of living

     What percentage do you plan on putting down? And approximately how much would that be in actual numbers?

  • Real Estate Agent · New York City, NY · Member since 2017 · 150 posts · 26 votes
    7y

    @Frank Patalano I plan to put down 5% , but the multi-family houses in my area or anywhere from 650000 to $800,000 , unfortunately my income is only $42,000 . In total I have about 57000 in a savings account, $11,000 in cash and another 8500 in my Roth IRA .

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2019 · 30 posts · 6 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Frank Patalano:
    Originally posted by @Helen De la rosa:

    @Frank Patalano

    So many options and uncertainties out there, I am not sure where to start.

    So, one of the best ways to learn is jumping in with both feet. So I did. Got my 1st rental under my belt in Section 8. Lots of mistakes there:

    1. Lease is in my personal name instead of LLC

    2. Rent is way below the 1% rule. $2600 on $350k purchase ( similar house selling for >$400k)

    3. How to change the cash flow? Pay down more or flip and sell it?

    Haven't made 2nd move.

    1. Is the market topped out? Maybe I should wait instead of holding the stick when music stops

    2. If not real estate, what else? Gold?

    For sure got to get out of the stock market.

    In the meantime,

    1. studying for my real estate license.

    2. Figuring out how to set up land trust.

    3.Setting up my Self Directed IRA

    4. Working on my life insurance (IUL , LTC) business.

     How many units is this property?

    Gold? No.

    A SFR one unit ( 5 bedrooms , 3.5 baths) @ 4.875% mortgage rate.

  • Member since 2018 · 17 posts · 75 votes
    7y

    This post could be a book, haha, good info though.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Faysal Alam:

    @Frank Patalano I plan to put down 5% , but the multi-family houses in my area or anywhere from 650000 to $800,000 , unfortunately my income is only $42,000 . In total I have about 57000 in a savings account, $11,000 in cash and another 8500 in my Roth IRA .

     Its doable but a little tight. 

    3 main choices

    1. Do a wholesale

    2. Partner with a bigger investor and get a small part of the deal. 

    3. Invest out of state. 

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Helen De la rosa:
    Originally posted by @Frank Patalano:
    Originally posted by @Helen De la rosa:

    @Frank Patalano

    So many options and uncertainties out there, I am not sure where to start.

    So, one of the best ways to learn is jumping in with both feet. So I did. Got my 1st rental under my belt in Section 8. Lots of mistakes there:

    1. Lease is in my personal name instead of LLC

    2. Rent is way below the 1% rule. $2600 on $350k purchase ( similar house selling for >$400k)

    3. How to change the cash flow? Pay down more or flip and sell it?

    Haven't made 2nd move.

    1. Is the market topped out? Maybe I should wait instead of holding the stick when music stops

    2. If not real estate, what else? Gold?

    For sure got to get out of the stock market.

    In the meantime,

    1. studying for my real estate license.

    2. Figuring out how to set up land trust.

    3.Setting up my Self Directed IRA

    4. Working on my life insurance (IUL , LTC) business.

     How many units is this property?

    Gold? No.

    A SFR one unit ( 5 bedrooms , 3.5 baths) @ 4.875% mortgage rate.

     If you can flip and sell it, I would. Hopefully you can break even. 

    Single families are harder to make money. Not impossible just harder. 

    Section 8 renters at $2600 a month. Wow. Prices are different in Houston. 

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Danny Randolph:

    This post could be a book, haha, good info though.

     Thanks. Just enjoying helping a lot of people that I wouldn't be able to any other way.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.