So what's holding you back?

So what's holding you back?

Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes

When I help new investors with buying their first property I often want to know what is holding them back from pulling the trigger.

So I'll ask here. What is holding you back?

453Reply
34,446 views

Most Popular Reply

Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 29 posts · 409 votes
7y

Having just recently bought my first property, I know for myself what was holding me back was the fear that I would overpay, especially in this type of a market. I would get analysis paralysis and basically talk myself out of every property I looked at.

See this reply in the discussion

3705 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Wes Stephenson:

    It’s funny the kind of thought processes are happening when I ask myself what’s holding me back. I first think “We’ll, it’s just that I don’t know enough about it yet”. Then I question myself and ask whether it’s that I don’t know enough yet, or if my confidence in what I DO know isn’t strong enough yet. Then I try to determine what would make my confidence stronger in what I do know, and for me, it would be if I knew that I knew enough to get started. Then I think “How do I know I know enough to get started?” I remember all the books on this subject I’ve read or at least have in my possession and I’m pretty sure that’s a great start.

    Well then, if the education side of things is basically taken care of, at least for the first deal or two, what is it? Probably the money since right now we barely have $10,000 saved up for our first deal. I’d also say the local market is kinda crazy, but I just haven’t been diligent enough to search the markets around where I live yet I guess.

    Another thing I can think of is that, according to Brandon’s recommendations in his book on real estate investing, that I need to create my team and build those relationships.

    Other than that, the only other thing I’d say that’s holding me back is my unfamiliarity with analyzing deals, which I know will come as I take time every day to analyze deals.

    So, there you have it: Education, Money, Relationships, Analysis.

     Education is about setting goals. Commit to reading 30 minutes a day, listen to at least one podcast a day. Lack of money can be overcome if you were willing to put in the work to find the deals others will bring the money if you partner with them. Relationships? Keep networking. Start out with one networking event per week. Make so many phone calls per day. Good analysis is probably the toughest one. It's going to take time to figure out the exact income and expenses per month if you're going to rent a property. If you are flipping properties, it will be hard to estimate rehab costs. Perhaps you can try to partner with someone or at least review numbers with someone who has done it before. But don't use that as an excuse that you can't do any real estate until you have that partner.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Joe Pless:

    Trying to find a good property in a good area that will increase in value.

    At the current stage of most markets that will be hard to attain. Especially if you're only looking on MLS. Perhaps you can do some marketing yourself to find a deal.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Malcolm Gager:

    Before buying my first home I was to caught up with getting a great deal. After a lot of offers and shopping around finally figured out it was better to get a good house in a nice area that I could afford. It wasn't a home run but a solid base hit.

     Nice. Yes too many people are waiting for the perfect deal to fall into their laps. Instead they need to be realistic.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Karen Thompson:

    I am Canadian but want to try the BRRRR strategy in the US. I am scared because I have no clue how to do it from so far away and it sounds so daunting. I recently bought David's book 'Long distance investing" and eagerly awaiting it.

     The first thing that I would do would be to talk to two different American attorneys about the steps necessary to do that strategy. I'm sure you can find referrals through this page.

    besides that you already have the go to book on the subject

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jose Guevarra:

    I have to support my mom financially so it reduces my income.  So saving money to invest is tough and I have to think extra hard about taking risks because my actions can affect several people.  I'm finally in a group that is closing frequent deals now so things are finally turning around!

     There you go. Being involved with a group of people who take action will help you be more successful.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Melvin Misa:

    @Frank Patalano

    Making sure that the deal is a win win! Afraid of making a huge mistake because of not knowing how to analyze a deal.

     Win, when is the perfect situation but it can't always happen. You are going to make a mistake once in awhile. The more times that you take an action the better that you'll get at it. Partner up. There's nothing wrong with analyzing a deal with someone else.

  • Denville, NJ · Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Frank Patalano

    Location... I live in NJ. High prices, high taxes, low inventory, and even less multifamily units (in good communities).

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Dion Martorella:

    Currently two things holding me back. One is saving enough capital and the other is repairing my credit. I plan on buying my first property once my credit is fair and I have a fair amount of capital.

    If you want to accelerate your time frame you could always partner with someone who has great credit and some money. You are providing the time to look at properties and they are providing the money.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    Debt to income ratio too high, available funds too low. I'm starting to get a pretty good understanding of what I can offer for properties and have my criteria sorted out fairly well but my debt to income is 51% and I don't have any money saved up. I am currently trying to make double payments on credit cards and reduce debt before I go to a lender to get pre approved. Is the the right move?

     That's a fine strategy even though I do not know the Vermont market that well. I used to live about 30 minutes Southwest of Bennington. Can you form a partnership where you provide the time and someone else provides the money and financing?

  • Keene, NH · Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    7y
    My target market is Keene NH. I don't know where to look for a partnership like that.
  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Mike Main:

    @Frank Patalano

    Location... I live in NJ. High prices, high taxes, low inventory, and even less multifamily units (in good communities).

    I fully understand. On the flip side I will say, High rents, well paying jobs, plus you are in a prime spot between New York City and the Poconos. Everybody, including me, thinks that their market sucks. The grass Is always greener mentality.

    I meet people every week who are drooling to buy in my local market. You do have a pretty tough spot though. Cap rates are low. Your best shot is buying off Market. Sometimes it's a needle in a haystack, but there are people everyday who are sick and tired of being landlords.

  • Syracuse, NY · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Frank Patalano the money to buy the property

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    My target market is Keene NH. I don't know where to look for a partnership like that.

     I would start talking to friends and family. Someone might have always had a dream to get into real estate but never had the time to start. You are providing the time they are providing the money.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Sharon Lecher:

    @Frank Patalano the money to buy the property

     If you can provide the time then someone else can provide the money. You could partner up with someone. There are people who are workaholics that have money but no time.

    Besides that you could househack your first multi. If you have decent credit, and plan on living there, you can do if with less than 4% down.

  • Attorney · Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Frank Patalano

    Fear of the unknown. We are new to real estate investing and my husband and I are conservative by nature with our money. We watched people on both sides of our family lose badly in 2008. But I have to say, writing down that we will take the first step within 6 months time has helped us. We live in MA in a hot market, so we're doing our homework on going out of state. Just listening to the BP podcast and reading these forums has made me feel sure that yes, we CAN do this.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Ashlee Logan:

    @Frank Patalano

    Fear of the unknown. We are new to real estate investing and my husband and I are conservative by nature with our money. We watched people on both sides of our family lose badly in 2008. But I have to say, writing down that we will take the first step within 6 months time has helped us. We live in MA in a hot market, so we're doing our homework on going out of state. Just listening to the BP podcast and reading these forums has made me feel sure that yes, we CAN do this.

     Hi Ashlee, 

    If you are in Mass look at Fall River and New Bedford. I'm over the border in RI. You can definitely do this. I was in Boston 4 days in the last week networking.

  • Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Frank Patalano financing. That's it, that's all.

  • Elgin, IL · Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    @Frank Patalano

    I just bought my first property about a month ago, and had to leverage pretty hard to get it (duplex for house hacking, 95% LTV) so what's holding me back right now is a lack of funds as well as a desire to settle in and make sure this actually is for me. It took me 2 years to save the required down payment/closing costs/reserves and I borrowed as much as I was allowed by traditional lenders to get as much property as possible.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @John Lombardo:

    @Frank Patalano financing. That's it, that's all.

     If you find a great deal you will find tons of people that are willing to partner with you. Especially at your local real estate meeting.

  • Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    For me its all about fear. Fear of not getting a good deal, not really knowing what i am getting into, fear of the unknown. Its hard to place that one thing that is really holding me back, all i can say for me, is im afraid of the change i know it will bring.

  • Member since 2019 · 15 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Frank Patalano

    IBS

  • Tuscaloosa, AL · Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    Funding for the deal. Just bought my first property and house hacking it at the moment. I am looking for my second one but it took a while to save up money for the first one which was an FHA 3.5% loan. Knowing it will be my second invest me I know I have to have more for a down payment, which worries me.

    Any advice?

  • Keene, NH · Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    7y

  • Keene, NH · Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    Thank you Frank, I appreciate your time.

  • Rental Property Investor · St Augustine, FL · Member since 2019 · 74 posts · 47 votes
    7y

    @Frank Patalano only thing holding me back right now is the seller. I have a deal and waiting til Tuesday to see the condition of the homes with my contractor, this will be make or break.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.