Im a newbie looking at a SFR with tenants in place

Im a newbie looking at a SFR with tenants in place

Rockford, IL · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 2 votes

I'm looking at purchasing a single family house with tenants in place as my second rental property. My first was our former residence so there was no real transaction to deal with. 

Purchase price is around $35,000 (my area is very affordable and it is a somewhat depressed neighborhood)

I calculate monthly expenses at about $400(and I am trying to estimate high) and the current renters have been paying $600

The current owner bought it late last year as part of a package deal and doesn't want to be a landlord so is selling. He already did a number of improvements including a new metal roof so there is no major work to be done. As far as I can tell just a few minor repairs and probably a new stove. Siding is a possible unknown - it has some kind of faux stone veneer that was then painted and is now peeling.

Renters have been there 14 years and say they are happy with that place. I met the wife, she seems very nice. No pets, non-smokers. the Place looked decently clean. They are month to month with no lease. I don't yet know if their rent amount has had any changes recently.

My plan would be to have them sign at least a month-to-month agreement and possibly a year lease if I can. I was thinking of raising rent of month-to-month or offering to keep it the same or a smaller increase if they sign a 1 year lease.

I just learned about an estoppel cert but from the current situation there may not be much on that cert since there is no lease. There may be a deposit to be transferred - I am finding that out.

There is no opportunity to do a BRRR here but I am thinking I like the idea of immediate revenue even though I can't get my original money back out.

I am planning on traditional financing with 20% down. The expenses above include an estimated mortgage payment

Any thoughts? What else should I be looking for?

This is my first post so be kind.

0Reply
22 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Greenwich, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Tony Vrolyk, you said you "estimated" $400/month in expenses. Can you share your analysis? The community will double-check your assumptions.

    Have you spoken to a bank about financing yet? This is a very small loan and many (most) banks won't write such a small loan. You may have luck with a local bank that services the area and has specific products. Just be sure to contact them now and make sure you have a lender lined up.

    You may have to do 25% down because this is an investment property.

    No, you won't be able to BRRRR this property, but you'll be getting 20-25%+ cash-on-cash return. That's outstanding.

    What are market rates in the area? If they're <$50/month more, I'd bump the rent and try to get the current tenants to sign a lease. Otherwise, I'd split the increase over the next couple of years.

  • Rockford, IL · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    Here is what I have for expenses

    Mortgage $ 135.00
    taxes $ 85.83
    insurance $ 34.58
    utilities $ 65.00
    maint $ 60.00
    vac $ 30.00
    total $ 410.42 

    Mortgage is based on 35000 ale price with 20% down. I am working with a local bank and at last initially they didn't balk at the price and 20% down. Taxes are base on the 2018 bill which will be paid later this year. The insurance is based on a quote from my agent. My realtor got me the average utilities - the previous owner is paying for water/sewer/garbage. This is not uncommon in our area though at my other property the tenant pays all utilities. 

    The maint and vacancy expenses are paying myself. I plan to self-manage. There is no HOA.

    Zillow says this property has a rental estimate of $750. Since my other property is in a different part of town I don't have anything else to go on. Even if that is off some, I am pretty sure I can justify a 25-50 increase. I am also considering leaving as is and gradually switching to the tenant paying utilities. 

  • Member since 2018 · 42 posts · 31 votes
    7y

    As a SFR I would really only look at the taxes and insurance as landlord expenses. Tenant should be paying utilities direct.

    It's prudent to account for vacancy, but with close management, you can reduce to zero with SFR. I would budget for capex/maintenance - but below the line (just make sure that all major issues are addressed prior to renting and then keep a personal reserve, not an expense, going forward).

    F Zillow for rent estimates...dig in yourself...look on craigslst first, talk to smaller mom-n-pop brokers for a true rental estimate.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.