Who likes puzzles? Help me piece together a deal.

Who likes puzzles? Help me piece together a deal.

Houston, TX · Member since 2017 · 89 posts · 59 votes

Hi BP,

     I am preparing to ask a relative to sell me his small multifamily residential property in the city of Houston. He's getting ready to retire and move out of the city. I'm going to ask him to sell his property to me. My family of four will be living in one unit. It will be a bit cramped in a 2/1, so I only want to live there for 1-3 years. Please help me think through some practical options for structuring a deal to get in, and also how to move beyond this property in the future. I want to be able to clearly visualize and understand 3 ways to get in, and 3 ways to get out. I am just starting out. If this works, it will be my first deal.

Our current financial position:

  My husband and I have no debt. Our credit scores are over 800. I have a little over $10k liquid between my savings and taxable brokerage accounts. I am saving into these accounts at a combined rate of $450+/mo. We can borrow up to about $30k from his 401k. I have $7.5k principal I can withdraw from a ROTH IRA. He has about $7k in another IRA from a previous employer. My husband has some company stock that will be fully vested this year. I don't know how much, but his company pays excellent dividends. We are both veterans and can qualify for a VA loan. We are currently renting. I believe we should be able to fund a real estate deal. I am open to insights on which buckets to draw from and why.

The property I'm interested in:

It's a 3 unit multifamily. Comps in the area indicate market value for the property is about $350k. Rentometer estimates market rents are about $1350 for each of the two 2/1 units and $880 for the garage apartment. Since we'd be living in one of the 2/1s, that leaves about $2230 to help us with the note, etc. My husband estimates the tax bill for 2018 to be about $12k. It's well maintained, and I am certain it can qualify for a VA loan. There's not a lot of value add opportunity. I doubt it's separately metered. I have no landlord experience.

My thoughts so far:

   I plan to ask for seller financing. This way he can continue to receive income from the property, but he won't have to manage it from out-of-town, and this spreads out his tax burden. If I'm paying him directly, then he will have a vested interest in seeing me succeed and I'm less likely to be bashful about approaching him with land-lording questions as they arise. I am good at self educating, but there is no substitute for experience.

I'm thinking I can later cash-out refinance into a loan (possibly a VA loan) to finance another deal and wrap the new mortgage so as to keep the installment payments in place and avoid hitting my retiring family member with a big fat tax bill.

I welcome any and all insights from experienced investors. Thanks in advance.

Liz

0Reply
13 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Pensacola, FL · Member since 2017 · 17 posts · 13 votes
7y
Unfortunately I can't think of any specific advantages to the seller for the gift of equity. Now unless he is INSANELY generous and gifting people tens of thousands of dollars regularly he wouldn't be hurting himself either. It's a tool that has it's place and may not fit your situation.
See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    Why not get a FHA loan? That way you're only paying 3.5% down as opposed to 20%-25% on a conventional bank loan. And with your credit score you should have no issue securing a FHA loan at a good interest rate.

  • Investor · Pensacola, FL · Member since 2017 · 17 posts · 13 votes
    7y

    LOVE the seller finance idea.

    VA loans are awesome. If one of you is exempt from the VAs funding fee, it's a hard loan to beat.

    Alternative/additional option, ask about him doing a gift of equity. Basically he would sell you the home for an agreed upon amount and then simultaneously gift you an amount off the home. If he's already willing to give you a "family deal" do it this way and set yourself up at a better LTV.

    FHA is great until you add in MIP. with you both being vets I can't see a reason to go with an FHA over a VA. Have one of you use your entitlement on this purchase and save the other persons entitlement for another purchase.

  • Real Estate Agent · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2014 · 473 posts · 230 votes
    7y

    @Account Closed

    Congrats on looking for your first deal! Is the main reason you are interested in this property because it will help your relative with their tax situation? Or is it the best property you've seen to purchase? 

    Since this is your first property and you can do VA loans, seller financing doesn't really have many benefits for you as far as qualifying for a loan / getting in for cheap.

    Are there very advantageous terms with the seller financing that you are looking to get (like 0% interest, or something along those lines)?

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2017 · 89 posts · 59 votes
    7y

    Thanks for responding.

    @Karl B. With an FHA loan I would have to pay several hundred dollars a month for mortgage insurance. The VA loan is exempt from that, but the property has to be in excellent shape to qualify. If I were looking at more of a "fixer," I would look at using an FHA loan to get in, adding value, and then refinancing into a conventional loan as quickly as possible.

     @Brian Cole I can see how a "gift of equity" would benefit me, but what terms could I offer that would make it also beneficial to him? 

    @Taylor Chiu This is a much better property than anything I've seen available to purchase. I am interested in the property primarily because it's in great condition and can qualify for a VA loan. It's also near my husband's workplace. Rarely have I seen multi-unit residential properties hit the MLS in a condition that would qualify for VA financing, and almost never are they in areas I'm willing to move my family into. So, I'm thinking outside the box and looking for off-market deals. It just happens that I know someone who owns such a property.

    The advantages to me include:

    (A) I can skip the appraisal and keep the current tax assessed value. He has been diligent about contesting the annual tax-hikes on his properties, and the current tax appraisal is WAY below the market value.

    (B) The pace of the deal can be slow. Since it'll be my 1st property, buying it off market allows me to move slowly, think things through, ask questions, and understand the process. I won't be making mistakes in a rush to secure a deal before someone else snatches it up. 

    (C) The would-be seller is a very patient, intelligent, and kind person. Talking terms with him will create an opportunity for me to learn from someone whose motives I don't have cause to question.

    (D) By avoiding a bank loan, it won't count toward my 4 mortgage cap. (If I refinance later, it would, but I'd like to create that option for myself.)

    He may not want to sell this property. He has certainly counted the rental income into his retirement planning. However; I infer from the way he speaks about property maintenance and tenant screening that he regards these things as a hassle, and it's going to be a lot more difficult for him to manage the property the way he has been doing from out-of-town. The opportunity to maintain an income stream without being a long-distance landlord may be the only incentive I can offer to persuade him to sell it.

    If he agrees to sell it, but doesn't want to seller finance it. I could use a VA loan to purchase it and he could 1031 exchange it for a rental property in the town he's moving to.

    If he doesn't want to sell it, I will have at least have opened a serious dialog about investing with someone who has experience. 

    @Taylor Chiu

  • Investor · Pensacola, FL · Member since 2017 · 17 posts · 13 votes
    7y
    Unfortunately I can't think of any specific advantages to the seller for the gift of equity. Now unless he is INSANELY generous and gifting people tens of thousands of dollars regularly he wouldn't be hurting himself either. It's a tool that has it's place and may not fit your situation.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.