Issues with refinancing my newly renovated buy and hold property

Issues with refinancing my newly renovated buy and hold property

Investor · Blue Bell, PA · Member since 2014 · 9 posts · 1 vote

Hello,

I am hoping someone may be able to assist in some issues I have going on. Basically, I have a property which is in an LLC. I purchased it as a fixer-upper. I did all the work and now have tenants in there. At this point, I am looking to refi. I've been told the only way to get this refi'd is going commercial loans. So, I have found let's say Vendor A. While what appears to me as being a legit loan ( granted I am probably getting killed in fee's), they just came back and said they can only do the loan for a fraction of what the house has been newly appraised of due to dscr. One other thing to add is that I am currently unemployed with some reserves trying to make this my main gig.

In full disclosure, I bought the place as a bank-owned property for $165K. I put in ~$30K for repairs. The house was newly appraised for $265k.  I get $1800 a month on a two-year lease.  

The intent was to now suck as much cash out to try and do it again.  However, my lender is claiming the dscr exceeded their limits or something.  Basically putting me into an unknown position really...as I am a newbie to this.  I have other properties but this is the first one on the commercial side.

So one of many questions is, do I go with this deal? If so, what about all the equity I am leaving on/in the house? Do I try and find another commercial lender which will go beyond 1.15 DSCR which is what I believe I am at after a special request to the lender. I believe at this rate they bumped the loan amount to $185k.

Is there a better approach/method to this deal?

How do i get all the cash out to rinse and repeat?

Would all this be a non issue if I have a portfolio loan?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!!    

0Reply
25 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    7y

    Have you talked to another bank?

  • Real Estate Investor · Lansdowne, PA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 656 votes
    7y

    here's an updated guide that might help you figure some things out... https://www.commercialloandirect.com/commercial-rates.php

    kudos,

    Mary

  • Lender · Arlington, TX · Member since 2018 · 465 posts · 184 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Kate M.:

    Hello,

    I am hoping someone may be able to assist in some issues I have going on. Basically, I have a property which is in an LLC. I purchased it as a fixer-upper. I did all the work and now have tenants in there. At this point, I am looking to refi. I've been told the only way to get this refi'd is going commercial loans. So, I have found let's say Vendor A. While what appears to me as being a legit loan ( granted I am probably getting killed in fee's), they just came back and said they can only do the loan for a fraction of what the house has been newly appraised of due to dscr. One other thing to add is that I am currently unemployed with some reserves trying to make this my main gig.

    In full disclosure, I bought the place as a bank-owned property for $165K. I put in ~$30K for repairs. The house was newly appraised for $265k.  I get $1800 a month on a two-year lease.  

    The intent was to now suck as much cash out to try and do it again.  However, my lender is claiming the dscr exceeded their limits or something.  Basically putting me into an unknown position really...as I am a newbie to this.  I have other properties but this is the first one on the commercial side.

    So one of many questions is, do I go with this deal? If so, what about all the equity I am leaving on/in the house? Do I try and find another commercial lender which will go beyond 1.15 DSCR which is what I believe I am at after a special request to the lender. I believe at this rate they bumped the loan amount to $185k.

    Is there a better approach/method to this deal?

    How do i get all the cash out to rinse and repeat?

    Would all this be a non issue if I have a portfolio loan?

    Any help is greatly appreciated!

    Thanks!!!    

    Yes the DSCR will limit loan amount in some situations.

    What sort of amoratoriztion are you looking at?  For example a 10 year note vs 20 year can really change dscr.

      Are they counting 100% of rental income towards dscr or only partial?

    1.15 sounds pretty reasonable to me, not sure if you will find anything more favorable and there is good chance after all your expenses like vanvancy etc you'll not be cash flowing at 1.15.

  • Rental Property Investor · Central, FL · Member since 2016 · 950 posts · 821 votes
    7y

    Sell it pay the capital gains on it and do it all again.  

    If you are only making 1,800 a month on it then using all the rules if thumbs and just some basic math anything over 180,000 is too much.  

    You are in for 185,000 can sell for 280,000 and even after fees and recapture or whatnot you still bank 60-70k   Use that money as seed capital to do it again  

    This probably was a better flip then a long term buy and hold just based solely on the numbers you supplied   

  • Rental Property Investor · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2018 · 335 posts · 251 votes
    7y

    Agree with @Account Closed  This seems like a fix and flip deal. I can't imagine the property being cashflow positive after putting a commercial loan on it for 75-80% of 265 and only getting 1800 in rent. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Kirkland, WA · Member since 2018 · 549 posts · 411 votes
    7y

    If you can prove yourself by flipping a few of these, then you can go to the bank and say "Look, I have steady income!"

    Alternatively, can you find a cosigner to help you make it work while you're establishing yourself and making the move from "unemployed" to "self-employed"?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.