Pay off student loans > invest in real estate?

Pay off student loans > invest in real estate?

Member since 2018 路 16 posts 路 4 votes
Pay off ~100k student loans prior to real estate investing?
0Reply
33 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2019 路 58 posts 路 31 votes
7y

If you want to apply the concepts Rich Dad Poor Dad, take all the money you would use to pay off your student loans, put it into real estate, and use the income from real estate to pay off your loans.

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker 路 Kirkland, WA 路 Member since 2018 路 549 posts 路 411 votes
    7y

    @Shivam Patel

    How about both? Maybe you should hustle some wholesale deals while you are knocking down that debt.

    You should read Financial Freedom by Grant Sabatier. It's excellent and very accessible. It should get your mind moving in the right direction.

  • Real Estate Agent 路 Cleveland, OH 路 Member since 2019 路 359 posts 路 295 votes
    7y

    Both like @Geordy Rostad said. I actually used real estate investing to pay off more of my student loans than I could without it.

  • Member since 2019 路 58 posts 路 31 votes
    7y

    If you want to apply the concepts Rich Dad Poor Dad, take all the money you would use to pay off your student loans, put it into real estate, and use the income from real estate to pay off your loans.

  • San Diego, CA 路 Member since 2018 路 15 posts 路 12 votes
    7y

    @Shivam Patel

    If you want to get started as soon as you can, I still advise you compare your loan rates to realistic expected returns. Go after whatever is higher. Maybe you have some high interest rate loan (I had one at 10+%) that would best be paid off asap. You can just make your normal payments on the 3% loans while investing.

  • Member since 2018 路 16 posts 路 4 votes
    7y
    @Geordy Rostad Thank you, I will for sure check it out!
  • Member since 2018 路 16 posts 路 4 votes
    7y
    @Suny Capezzuto That's amazing! I just need to be more serious about it and actually move forward with the possibility of getting into real estate even with high student loans.
  • Member since 2018 路 16 posts 路 4 votes
    7y
    @Mike Sola I'll have to check that out!
  • Member since 2018 路 16 posts 路 4 votes
    7y
    @Michael D. Yes, right now my highest is 5.8%. Thank you for the information! Very helpful
  • New Orleans, LA 路 Member since 2019 路 19 posts 路 4 votes
    7y

    @Suny Capezzuto what time of RE investing did you use? did you wholesale or flip?

  • Real Estate Broker 路 Northeast PA 路 Member since 2017 路 2k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Shivam Patel,

    If you can pick up property 'subject-to', or wholesale something, I'd say yes.  Other than that, I'd advise to pay down those loans.  There is absolutely no doubt we are headed into a cycle change; the only unknown is WHEN.  That top won't be known until after it's passed.

    Should you be worried about it?  Hell no.  

    But you should be aware and prepared.  

    An important lesson for investors:  leverage is a two-edged sword.  If you go into a recession loaded with debt, especially if that debt is financing non-performing 'assets' (student loans) you could easily get cut if you own property, have a few vacancies, mortgage/tax/insurance is due, and so is the non-forgivable student loans.  THAT'S when you will worry.

    Yes, I'm a bit more conservative than many fine folks here--you may be more or less aggressive in your real estate dealings.  Just please keep in mind, real estate can be very fast paced at times, but it needs to be run like a marathon, not a sprint.   

  • New Orleans, LA 路 Member since 2019 路 19 posts 路 4 votes
    7y

    Hey @Shivam Patel, It really depends on your loan % interest vs your expected ROI in real estate. Paying student loan, I am guaranteed a return , no matter what. You just have to weigh your options and know your risk tolerance.

    I started out with 155k student loans at different rates of 5-8% interest. I refinanced to 3.93% and HUSTLED intensely to off more than 50% of that balance. The interest rate was KILLING me before I refinanced. I still have some loan but I am at a much more comfortable place to start investing while continue paying off my bad debt aka this student loan. 馃お

    One thing that has helped me is budgeting and create realistic financial goals . If you want to pay off loan intensely but also want some cash reserves in the mean time so you鈥檙e not completely left empty once loan is done, set money aside. Goal of say.. 6k yearly? Ok I need 500$ monthly allotment straight from my check into a diff savings accnt where I鈥檓 not tempted to withdraw. I also moved back home with mom and saved 1k monthly in rent. If you are on your own, consider househacking method? Has some time, consider wholesaling OR side hustle? In the mean time, learn as much as you can about the real estate world. The worst is to acquire more debt because you didn鈥檛 do your homework thoroughly.

    Everyone is different. I have friends that pay bare minimum on student loans and purchase homes , stocks etc. For me, I don鈥檛 like this golden handcuff, I want it gone. Only you can make the decision that you are most comfortable with and just remember you鈥檙e the only one that has to live with it . Wishing you much success and financial peace!

  • Real Estate Agent 路 Cleveland, OH 路 Member since 2019 路 359 posts 路 295 votes
    7y

    @Thao Nguyen I do not wholesale at all. I brrred, used rental income, and i also flipped. each time i set aside a portion from the income to pay off debt (student debt and credit cards because i was a very dumb 18 yr old lol)

  • New Orleans, LA 路 Member since 2019 路 19 posts 路 4 votes
    7y

    @Suny Capezzuto can you explain how did you finance your first project? Did you use any of your cash , HML , etc?

  • Real Estate Agent 路 Cleveland, OH 路 Member since 2019 路 359 posts 路 295 votes
    7y

    @Thao Nguyen My 1st project i was broke and in college so my husband and i scraped together like $4K and did an FHA house hack im a duplex. from then on weve refinanced, pulled out money and then once i got my full time job it helped set off even more.

  • New Orleans, LA 路 Member since 2019 路 19 posts 路 4 votes
    7y

    @Suny Capezzuto ah great way to househack! that鈥檚 awesome! Thanks for your input!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.