Downsides for conservative investing?

Downsides for conservative investing?

Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 91 posts · 30 votes

Howdy! 

Looking into getting into REI and have been looking at different systems and vehicles to get me there. We don't have any huge goals of owning 1,000+ units or raking in millions a month. Our goal is just to replace our monthly income of roughly $10,000/month passively within the next 10 years. That's it! 

Looking into ways to do this conservatively and one of the methods that really stood out to me was buying a MFH (2-4 units), paying it off, then taking the full rent + savings from our FT jobs and snowballing the same process over and over until our goals are reached. 

Averaging the rents around $700/unit in our area, that would only take 15 units to be fully paid off to achieve $10,000/monthly passive income. We have a decent amount of income since we've reduced our mortgage, auto loans, and adjusted our budget to live significantly below our means. This is definitely achievable in 10 years if we buy 3 quadplexes and a triplex, or 8 duplexes, etc.

I know this isn't the normal investing kind of plan I see out there but this is how we could leverage REI to meet our specific goals to reach financial freedom.

I'd like to ask the seasoned veterans here if there is anything inherently wrong with this plan? Is there anything else I should know about before setting this as "the plan." I don't see this kind of plan talked about very often or at all. Most everyone is looking into BRRRR and other types of trade-up systems.

8Reply
106 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · IN · Member since 2019 · 34 posts · 39 votes
7y

As a cash buyer I may be in the minority here. But your plan sounds excellent to me. Swinging a lot of debt is not for the faint of heart and your plan will do the same thing in the same amount of time as someone using a no money down plan. You will arrive at your destination at the appropriate time and sleep better at night if the economy gets rough in Texas.  Good luck.

See this reply in the discussion

73 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 91 posts · 30 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Ola Dantis:

    @Josiah Sia Hey Josiah, first I think your plan is brilliant. 

    However, I'll urge you to give yourselves some leeway for the surprises along the way! That way, you don't feel deflated when you feel like a hit a roadblock or overwhelmed with inertia. Remember, it will happen and it is part of the process. 

    In addition, the reason you might not see a lot of people mentioning or doing this type of approach is that it can be cash-heavy as paying a mortgage down requires some cash infusion usually from other sources. That said, if you guys are able to pull it off, I think that would fantastic! 👍

    Thank you for the words of encouragement Ola. I'm definitely trying to map it out so its "ready" for those speed bumps and road blocks. Definitely can't catch them all but I can definitely prepare! hahah 

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 91 posts · 30 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Josh Bakhshi:

    Josiah,

    I love your goal and plan.  Good for you!!!  Limit your risk by paying cash, don't drop your day job if you get a good income from it and you enjoy going to work. But still understand this is still a BUSINESS.  It will still demand your time and attention.  You wont get there overnight, but with you mindset, you WILL GET THERE!

    Good luck

    Thank you! I love it too the more and more I hear others provide their feedback. This community is so great. I've already learned so much and have been able to account for so many aspects I didn't even think about. Overage, extra overheads, inflation, medical and health insurance, etc. It's amazing!

    I appreciate the kind words. I need to steel my mind so it doesn't waiver. This is going to feel like a long 10 years but by the time it's done, it's going to feel short compared to doing something else and waiting to retire at 65!

  • Real Estate Agent · Hoffman Estates, IL · Member since 2017 · 90 posts · 68 votes
    7y

    @Josiah Sia

    Good plan. Allocate cash judicially, sometimes it saves money to finance. Financing also frees up cash to scale.

    My $0.02 - Start REI soon. It cannot happen soon enough and it never is too late.

  • Engineer · Portland, OR · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Josiah Sia so if I’m reading this correctly you gross about 180k a year but have 32k total in savings or less?

  • Contractor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2018 · 262 posts · 407 votes
    7y
    @Josiah Sia You're plan is a great one! Theres nothing like a paid off property! I'm not a fan of the whole 90% LTV investing. I personally own 40-100% of of all of my properties granted I only have a handful, to me it beats owning 100 highly leveraged properties. I sleep great at night! Slow and steady wins the race, lifes beautiful. Enjoy the hustle ita good for you
  • Contractor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2018 · 262 posts · 407 votes
    7y
    @Junior Soares It's good*
  • Rental Property Investor · CT · Member since 2019 · 105 posts · 68 votes
    7y

    @Josiah Sia

    What is your main reason for choosing this plan over the typical leveraging strategies out there?

    Here’s a thought somewhere in between - what if you took a note on each property , kept buying properties, but calculated the monthly payment amount to pay that property off at the end of 10 years. So property #1 bought in year 1 you would amortize over 10 years. Property #2 bought in year 2 you would amortize over 9.... ect. Your first properties would have the lowest monthly payment, and this works since your cash flow is at its lowest in the beginning. Your later properties may be amortized over 2-5 years (depending on when purchase), but your cash flow is also highest at this point. Using leverage like this would enable you to buy more deals quicker at the beginning and get your cash flow higher at the beginning, where you need it most. If you ran into a problem or needed a major repair, you could back off the 10 year amortization schedule for each house and just pay the regular 30 year amortization payment the bank requires.

    Just an idea.

  • Ian WalshBusiness Member
    Lender · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    It's good to work backwards like you did.  I like to stick to the 50% rule .

  • Investor · FL · Member since 2017 · 266 posts · 220 votes
    7y

    @Josiah Sia

    Hi Josiah,

    I think its a great goal and agree paid off assets is the way to go with this stuff. Why people get into such a huge investment vehicle to make 100 bucks a month drives me crazy. With that said here is my take:

    Real Estate is best when leveraged up until a certain point. In the growing stage I would not quite do it so fast as to hinder growth. I started with SFHs in 2011. I was doing alot of flips and construction for banks(REO contractor) so money was good. At this point knowing this wouldnt last forever I started putting down payments with private loans from a good friend of mine. I would either refinance or just pay it off. Granted these homes were 70-100K(now worth 250-300) but ended up with 15 paid off assets. If i had done one by one and doing immediate paydown i would not have gotten to that number so quickly. What I did in the past few years is ive recapitalized on a couple of these, 3 to be exact and leveraged 6 duplexes 75%. I sold one more plus some additional money and got into a 40 unit. My point is dont stick to one thing. You can keep that paydown money as a reserve account and let tenants pay mortgage. Dont hinder growth. You'll get to your number much faster while still being VERY conservative as I am. Itll come to you as you're growing what to do. You'll sell one to pay off others or get into a better property. Opportunities will open up as you get bigger, more income, more net worth. Good luck!

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 91 posts · 30 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Haseeb M.:

    @Josiah Sia

    Good plan. Allocate cash judicially, sometimes it saves money to finance. Financing also frees up cash to scale.

    My $0.02 - Start REI soon. It cannot happen soon enough and it never is too late.

    Definitely. Planning to start this year sometime with my first MFH! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 91 posts · 30 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Steve B.:

    @Josiah Sia so if I’m reading this correctly you gross about 180k a year but have 32k total in savings or less?

    About $145k a year with 48k savings. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 91 posts · 30 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Junior Soares:
    @Josiah Sia You're plan is a great one! Theres nothing like a paid off property! I'm not a fan of the whole 90% LTV investing. I personally own 40-100% of of all of my properties granted I only have a handful, to me it beats owning 100 highly leveraged properties. I sleep great at night! Slow and steady wins the race, lifes beautiful. Enjoy the hustle ita good for you

    That's great to hear Junior. The more I hear other people who have plans/goals like the one I'm hoping to achieve, the more pumped I get to reaching the 10 year mark hahah 

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 91 posts · 30 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Frank Maratta:

    @Josiah Sia

    What is your main reason for choosing this plan over the typical leveraging strategies out there?

    Here’s a thought somewhere in between - what if you took a note on each property , kept buying properties, but calculated the monthly payment amount to pay that property off at the end of 10 years. So property #1 bought in year 1 you would amortize over 10 years. Property #2 bought in year 2 you would amortize over 9.... ect. Your first properties would have the lowest monthly payment, and this works since your cash flow is at its lowest in the beginning. Your later properties may be amortized over 2-5 years (depending on when purchase), but your cash flow is also highest at this point. Using leverage like this would enable you to buy more deals quicker at the beginning and get your cash flow higher at the beginning, where you need it most. If you ran into a problem or needed a major repair, you could back off the 10 year amortization schedule for each house and just pay the regular 30 year amortization payment the bank requires.

    Just an idea.

    I'm a complete noob but you have my interest. The reason I didn't think about this is because I don't really know what a note is... or amortization. 

    *taking a break to read about that now* 

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 91 posts · 30 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Ian Walsh:

    It's good to work backwards like you did.  I like to stick to the 50% rule .

    Thank you! I'm pretty good at planning, but sometimes not the take action part. But I'm hyped about the goals on this one and will be taking action sometime this year on our first MFH. 

    What is the 50% rule? Do you mean the 50% of the rent should = expenses? Is that true for MFH homes too?

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 91 posts · 30 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Javier D.:

    @Josiah Sia

    Hi Josiah,

    I think its a great goal and agree paid off assets is the way to go with this stuff. Why people get into such a huge investment vehicle to make 100 bucks a month drives me crazy. With that said here is my take:

    Real Estate is best when leveraged up until a certain point. In the growing stage I would not quite do it so fast as to hinder growth. I started with SFHs in 2011. I was doing alot of flips and construction for banks(REO contractor) so money was good. At this point knowing this wouldnt last forever I started putting down payments with private loans from a good friend of mine. I would either refinance or just pay it off. Granted these homes were 70-100K(now worth 250-300) but ended up with 15 paid off assets. If i had done one by one and doing immediate paydown i would not have gotten to that number so quickly. What I did in the past few years is ive recapitalized on a couple of these, 3 to be exact and leveraged 6 duplexes 75%. I sold one more plus some additional money and got into a 40 unit. My point is dont stick to one thing. You can keep that paydown money as a reserve account and let tenants pay mortgage. Dont hinder growth. You'll get to your number much faster while still being VERY conservative as I am. Itll come to you as you're growing what to do. You'll sell one to pay off others or get into a better property. Opportunities will open up as you get bigger, more income, more net worth. Good luck!

    I agree. I was doing the math/calculations and to get to the $10,000 goal @a conservative cash flow (using BP calculators) of $100/unit it would take 100 units... big RIP. My goals aren't so lofty that I want a 1,000 units so I wanted to just find a vehicle/system that would get me there at a reasonable 10 year mark. I think I found it!

    But I agree, I definitely shouldn't let "the plan" hinder any growth. 

    What do you mean leveraged 3 duplexes 75%?

    So you purchased good deals as they came on loans, paid them off, then re-sold some of them to go bigger for a 40 unit in the longer run?  

  • Investor · FL · Member since 2017 · 266 posts · 220 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Josiah Sia:
    Originally posted by @Javier D.:

    @Josiah Sia

    Hi Josiah,

    I think its a great goal and agree paid off assets is the way to go with this stuff. Why people get into such a huge investment vehicle to make 100 bucks a month drives me crazy. With that said here is my take:

    Real Estate is best when leveraged up until a certain point. In the growing stage I would not quite do it so fast as to hinder growth. I started with SFHs in 2011. I was doing alot of flips and construction for banks(REO contractor) so money was good. At this point knowing this wouldnt last forever I started putting down payments with private loans from a good friend of mine. I would either refinance or just pay it off. Granted these homes were 70-100K(now worth 250-300) but ended up with 15 paid off assets. If i had done one by one and doing immediate paydown i would not have gotten to that number so quickly. What I did in the past few years is ive recapitalized on a couple of these, 3 to be exact and leveraged 6 duplexes 75%. I sold one more plus some additional money and got into a 40 unit. My point is dont stick to one thing. You can keep that paydown money as a reserve account and let tenants pay mortgage. Dont hinder growth. You'll get to your number much faster while still being VERY conservative as I am. Itll come to you as you're growing what to do. You'll sell one to pay off others or get into a better property. Opportunities will open up as you get bigger, more income, more net worth. Good luck!

    I agree. I was doing the math/calculations and to get to the $10,000 goal @a conservative cash flow (using BP calculators) of $100/unit it would take 100 units... big RIP. My goals aren't so lofty that I want a 1,000 units so I wanted to just find a vehicle/system that would get me there at a reasonable 10 year mark. I think I found it!

    But I agree, I definitely shouldn't let "the plan" hinder any growth. 

    What do you mean leveraged 3 duplexes 75%?

    So you purchased good deals as they came on loans, paid them off, then re-sold some of them to go bigger for a 40 unit in the longer run?  

    im sorry my first paragraph should have said I would not pay off so fast as to hinder growth. What im telling you is economies of scale. Yes I put down 25% on those units financing the rest. The first house I paid off was my personal home by the way then my office/warehouse. My personal assets first. I don't pay off cars. You already have the mindset to pay off your assets which I think is better than some of the philosophies of leverage till you die and let me have 20 million in debt to make 100-200k a year. Talk about a high stress 9-5. I don't want to work . im lazy and I like fishing and being able to do whatever I want when I want(with wife's permission). Lets say instead of 10 paid off you shoot for 30 properties with half of them paid off. With these 20 leveraged more you can afford to pay 10% to a property manager. You can use one to donate to your church. Mid life crisis? finance that corvette with 2 of the leveraged ones. An inspector pisses you off trying to force upgrades on something you know is grandfathered but he has the power to do what he wants? I don't care go f yourself and get off my property. call the contractor" hey cap ex time". Now you say you know what I want to calm down a bit and this bank is annoying me with their escrow requirements... pay it off with those other 10 you have leveraged. your tenants are paying for everything. What im saying is yes don't ever be at the mercy of interest rates or a 10% dip in the market or vacancy for 3 months. Be conservative but use economies of scale. Its easier to dial it down than it is to ramp it up. I say shoot for 50 grand a month and see where you land. maybe buy 2 instead of 1 and pay off 1? You'll find your way once its put into application. 

    I buy max 80% of ARV. shoot for 70 but this market is retarded. I never ever buy retail. I buy value add. Single families I was buying minimum 3/2 baths in decent neighborhoods. You are ahead of the curve wanting multifamily. took me a few years to learn that one. the bigger multis the only drawback I see is with our philosophies of paying down debt it forces me to keep working. how tf do I pay off a multi million dollar loan? so it forces you to stay in the game like moving up to bigger or flipping 10+ units etc and using that money to pay it off or just let the tenants pay it with the long game since I have other paid off assets. anyways Im teachable and love to learn too so my philosophies can change and hopefully yours can too. .

  • Belfast, Northern Ireland · Member since 2018 · 128 posts · 56 votes
    7y

    @Josiah Sia

    I don’t see any inherent problem with this plan. It seems like a very good plan as a lower risk investment strategy where you don’t have to take on a lot of debt.

    Be sure to also deduct expenses to from your gross rent. You probably won’t be pocketing 700 a month due to vacancy, repairs etc. Be sure to account for that.

  • Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Josiah Sia

    nothing wrong with your plan but i do not see this as conservative...at least in my conservative eyes haha. what part of texas are you in that has that many options for multi family homes

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 91 posts · 30 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Noah Mccurley:

    @Josiah Sia

    I don’t see any inherent problem with this plan. It seems like a very good plan as a lower risk investment strategy where you don’t have to take on a lot of debt.

    Be sure to also deduct expenses to from your gross rent. You probably won’t be pocketing 700 a month due to vacancy, repairs etc. Be sure to account for that.

    Definitely. Thank you Noah!  

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 91 posts · 30 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Javier D.:
    Originally posted by @Josiah Sia:
    Originally posted by @Javier D.:

    @Josiah Sia

    Hi Josiah,

    I think its a great goal and agree paid off assets is the way to go with this stuff. Why people get into such a huge investment vehicle to make 100 bucks a month drives me crazy. With that said here is my take:

    Real Estate is best when leveraged up until a certain point. In the growing stage I would not quite do it so fast as to hinder growth. I started with SFHs in 2011. I was doing alot of flips and construction for banks(REO contractor) so money was good. At this point knowing this wouldnt last forever I started putting down payments with private loans from a good friend of mine. I would either refinance or just pay it off. Granted these homes were 70-100K(now worth 250-300) but ended up with 15 paid off assets. If i had done one by one and doing immediate paydown i would not have gotten to that number so quickly. What I did in the past few years is ive recapitalized on a couple of these, 3 to be exact and leveraged 6 duplexes 75%. I sold one more plus some additional money and got into a 40 unit. My point is dont stick to one thing. You can keep that paydown money as a reserve account and let tenants pay mortgage. Dont hinder growth. You'll get to your number much faster while still being VERY conservative as I am. Itll come to you as you're growing what to do. You'll sell one to pay off others or get into a better property. Opportunities will open up as you get bigger, more income, more net worth. Good luck!

    I agree. I was doing the math/calculations and to get to the $10,000 goal @a conservative cash flow (using BP calculators) of $100/unit it would take 100 units... big RIP. My goals aren't so lofty that I want a 1,000 units so I wanted to just find a vehicle/system that would get me there at a reasonable 10 year mark. I think I found it!

    But I agree, I definitely shouldn't let "the plan" hinder any growth. 

    What do you mean leveraged 3 duplexes 75%?

    So you purchased good deals as they came on loans, paid them off, then re-sold some of them to go bigger for a 40 unit in the longer run?  

    im sorry my first paragraph should have said I would not pay off so fast as to hinder growth. What im telling you is economies of scale. Yes I put down 25% on those units financing the rest. The first house I paid off was my personal home by the way then my office/warehouse. My personal assets first. I don't pay off cars. You already have the mindset to pay off your assets which I think is better than some of the philosophies of leverage till you die and let me have 20 million in debt to make 100-200k a year. Talk about a high stress 9-5. I don't want to work . im lazy and I like fishing and being able to do whatever I want when I want(with wife's permission). Lets say instead of 10 paid off you shoot for 30 properties with half of them paid off. With these 20 leveraged more you can afford to pay 10% to a property manager. You can use one to donate to your church. Mid life crisis? finance that corvette with 2 of the leveraged ones. An inspector pisses you off trying to force upgrades on something you know is grandfathered but he has the power to do what he wants? I don't care go f yourself and get off my property. call the contractor" hey cap ex time". Now you say you know what I want to calm down a bit and this bank is annoying me with their escrow requirements... pay it off with those other 10 you have leveraged. your tenants are paying for everything. What im saying is yes don't ever be at the mercy of interest rates or a 10% dip in the market or vacancy for 3 months. Be conservative but use economies of scale. Its easier to dial it down than it is to ramp it up. I say shoot for 50 grand a month and see where you land. maybe buy 2 instead of 1 and pay off 1? You'll find your way once its put into application. 

    I buy max 80% of ARV. shoot for 70 but this market is retarded. I never ever buy retail. I buy value add. Single families I was buying minimum 3/2 baths in decent neighborhoods. You are ahead of the curve wanting multifamily. took me a few years to learn that one. the bigger multis the only drawback I see is with our philosophies of paying down debt it forces me to keep working. how tf do I pay off a multi million dollar loan? so it forces you to stay in the game like moving up to bigger or flipping 10+ units etc and using that money to pay it off or just let the tenants pay it with the long game since I have other paid off assets. anyways Im teachable and love to learn too so my philosophies can change and hopefully yours can too. .

    Ooooh! I get it. Thank you for that clarification. I'm the same. I want to go fishing and the whole point of this is to be able to have a CHOICE. If I want to do X I could! My time :) 

    Thank you for the thorough explanation. I get what you mean by leveraging the paid off properties against the other ones now. I'll stick to the plan and pivot additional properties into the mix through financing when a good deal arises!

  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2019 · 22 posts · 13 votes
    7y

    @Josiah Sia

    Just out of curiosity, where in Texas are you finding fourplexes for $150K? I'm based in the DFW area and currently looking at getting into fourplexes... Currently own 3 single family condos.

    Good luck with your plan! I don't have any input that others here haven't already covered. I say use whatever strategy you feel comfortable with and that gets you excited.

    I'm also interested in replacing my W2 salary eventually, and I've been using my units as Short Term Rentals or furnished mid term/Corp rentals as a way to get more cash flow and excellerate my goals. I'm still pretty new to it, but the initial results are promising. Might be something interesting for you to try within your plan assuming you live somewhere that has demand for STRs or mid term type rentals.

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 91 posts · 30 votes
    7y

    @Greg Farmer - I haven't actually found anything specific at $150k for a 4plex... most I've found were quite a bit higher. ($300k+) That was just a number I guessed at after seeing some duplexes for $100k in my local area that were in need of repair. (Not very nice places though) So I figured if I found a 4plex that was in need of rehab it would be around that price after some haggling.

    I might be under in the actual price of how much they are in my area or Houston/Austin/San Marcos but the concept of buy, pay off, buy is the same :) And that's what I'm trying to see if there are any 'gotchas' I might be missing in my math and goals.

    Apparently, there is a lot I was missing. I'm glad I asked here and got the BP communities feedback!

  • Real Estate Agent · Tucson, AZ · Member since 2019 · 49 posts · 32 votes
    7y

    @Josiah Sia

    Great question! Following!

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 91 posts · 30 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Ali Garced:

    @Josiah Sia

    Great question! Following!

    Ton of helpful advice here provided by the BP community. They are the best! Here are my notes so far: 

    • Don't forget to keep track of overhead expenses having to do with your property such as interest, taxes, repairs, cap ex, etc.
    • Don't forget to gauge for appreciation when setting your goal. What's $4,000 today will be $10,000 in 20 years.
    • Your rent isn't all going to your pocket. Track what expenses needs to be pulled out of rent even when the property is fully paid off.
    • Don't forget to keep track of non-property related expenses when you leave your w-2 such as health insurance.
    • If you want truly passive income you will need a property manager, account for that expense.
    • Good rule of thumb is to have at least 150% your current income before jumping ship with your job. 
    • One of the hardest things about this plan is the urge to fight off buying a good deal when you are trying to pay off your current rental.
    • However, be flexible enough to pivot and buy a really good deal with financing when you have the chance.
    • There will be times when the market is hot and cold. When it's hot, stock up on good deals. When it's cold, take that time to pay off loans to 0.
    • The plan is great when the economy downturns because you won't be hurt as much with vacancy.
    • Instead of buy, pay off then buy again, just buy when you find good deals and pay off as you go. You can then leverage your paid off deals.
    • A good cap ex safety net of reserves is about $10,000 per unit.
    • I don't really understand notes yet, but it could be beneficial to use a note on each property and continue buying

    (My own tip) Set your goal, then work backwards. Do you want $100,000/month? How quickly do you want to reach that goal? Map it out in excel and work backwards from goal. That's how I decided on using this system to get me there. Seems like the fastest and safest way to achieve what I want!

    • Real Estate Agent · Florida State, FL · Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 1 vote
      7y

      @Ronald Willis good advise

    Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.