Be Patient, Learn the Ropes and Build a Financial War Chest?

Be Patient, Learn the Ropes and Build a Financial War Chest?

Vincent L.Pro Member
Springfield, NJ · Member since 2012 · 5 posts · 2 votes

Hi folks,
Like so many members and lurkers, I stumbled upon BP while surfing for info on real estate investing and what an amazing information resource it is!!

My goal is to derive sufficient income from doing real estate deals so that eventually, I wont have to worry about losing my day job and be able to retire comfortably in the later years.

My question as a newbie is about my particular situation and plan:

I am 41 yrs with a low six-figure income and I have excellent credit. Realising that not having easy access to money have inhibited many people from achieving their entrepreneurial dreams, I decided to embark on an ambitious savings goal and was able to save $200,000 in 5 years. Starting this year, I plan to save another $350,000 in 5 years which would result in a total of savings of $550,000 by the end of 2017.

So, with the record low interest rates and low house prices, should I get in and try my hand at REI before things change?; OR should I stick with the original plan of building a financial war chest while networking and learning more about this business?

BTW, I became an accidental landlord 2 years ago when I rented out my home in So. Florida after discovering that the associated monthly expenses related to owning a house was affecting my ability to maintain an aggressive saving schedule.

I would appreciate any insight or opinions and I hope I too can become a successful contributing member on this board in the not too distant future.

Thanks!!

0Reply
12 views

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Portland, OR · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    14y

    It sounds like you are going to win no matter what you do. Saving like that can never be a bad thing IMO.

    Fitting REI into your earning lifestyle is what will take some planning. Obviously your time is valuable so you are most likely better off delegating what you can.

    If it were me I'd use future income for down pymts and borrowing ability, keeping your war chest in place.

    Some high earners will turn over most of their investing over to a competent broker (maybe commercial) and stay focused on their career.

    However you choose, good luck.

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    14y

    Investing, when done properly, should allow you to grow the "savings" faster. The sooner one starts saving, the sooner one will reach some monetary goal; likewise, the sooner one starts investing (properly), the sooner one will reach the investing goal. You seem like a sharp guy who will be able to figure out what would be best for you ...

  • Investor · San Ramon, CA · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 569 votes
    14y

    I don't believe you'll ever find a better time to buy... that said, it's not something you want to rush. You have a good year or two before you'll really have regretted not pulling the trigger. Take your time, a good 2 - 4 months to learn how you want to invest and your markets. You won't miss the boat.

  • Don KonipolBusiness Member
    Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    14y

    Investing in real estate can be a hands on or hands off - whichever suits you. You can buy REITs or even REIT funds to invest in a diversified portfolio of quality assets. However, when averaging out the good years and bad years, you will probably be settling for a 8-9% total return.

    Passive investors investing in real estate deals managed by others (limited partnerships,etc, ) or private hard money loans, expect to earn 12-15% annually, with increased risk.

    Investors investing by themselves aim for 20% or more on invested capital. All these figures include potential price appreciation.

    You first need to figure out your time constraints, interest in the real estate investing industry, and your own knowledge and abilities. Add risk tolerance to the equation and you'll see that this is a question only you can answer.

    Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    14y

    I suspect you are some what financially savvy. If you are familiar with bonds, it's not a giant step to buying notes. But you will need to value the collateral, due diligence will include knowing real estate and some financing laws as well as business principals.

    Depreciation and losses in RE may not be a great benefit for you, you need to speak to your CPA and see what type of business entity might suit your needs best, espcially for long term savings.

    You need to do some studying, from the basics first to build a good foundation for RE investing. A quick way is to attend an RE school for RE agents, you don't need to be an agent, but with your investment, you should know what they know at least.

    Good luck....

  • Vincent L.Pro Member
    OP
    Springfield, NJ · Member since 2012 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    14y

    Thanks folks for the very thoughtful replies. Each one touched on a different aspect and point to consider and that will help me in the decision making process.

    @Nathan I like that affirmation that waiting year or two while learning more may be an overall better strategy.

    @Bill I wish I was was financially savvy. I have read some books and surfed online about money and investing etc but it all makes my head spin as it has gotten so much more sophisticated and uncertain. What I have learnt though is to not get into something you don't understand...

    Thanks again all. I'll contribute when I can to this board but I think for now I'll mostly be reading and bugging you guys with questions as I embark on my REI journey...

  • Investor · Member since 2009 · 132 posts · 30 votes
    14y

    If you have that kind of financial discipline and the simple fact that you found this website are pretty good signs that you are going to be successful at whatever you do. I would spend some time learning your local markets, meeting with local banks, etc. It sounds like you are a conservative so leveraging a portion of that $ may be a good balance to take advantage of record low interest rates and home prices.

    Good Luck!

  • Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 450 votes
    14y

    You can qualify for 3 more traditional mortgages relatively easily. I'd take half of that savings (100K) and use that as DP money for three solid rentals.

    If you paid 30K down on 3 seperate houses purchased for 80K at a 20 percent discount (you'll have to look hard for this), you would then have 3 houses with 50K in equity (150K all together) for the price of 90K. Plus, it is not unreasonable that each house would clear about 300/month after expenses (including mortgage). That would be a 12% return on your money in the first year adding another 10,800 to your savings for a total of equity plus existing cash of 170,800. Yeah, you can't eat equity, but it doesn't sound like you are using the cash anyways.

    Additionally, you will benefit from mortgage paydown, possible appreciation and possible tax benefits. All the while you will have at least a 110K cash reserve. Plus you'll be diversifed. A somewhat enviable position IMO.

  • Vincent L.Pro Member
    OP
    Springfield, NJ · Member since 2012 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    14y

    @Brian Yes, you are correct that this money currently languishes in low interest rate prison and should really be out working. As you alluded, and as I saw in another thread of this forum, great deals that were once the norm are getting harder and harder to come by so we'll see.

    In the meantime, I'm already lined up to attend my first REI meeting on Wednesday so I'll see where it leads...

    @Brad Thanks for the input...

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    14y
    Originally posted by Vincent L.:
    ...
    In the meantime, I'm already lined up to attend my first REI meeting on Wednesday so I'll see where it leads...
    ...

    Find out who the speaker is ahead of time, and do some research before attending - that way you will know for sure whether to keep your wallet in your pocket when the line forms at the back of the room.

  • Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 450 votes
    14y
    Originally posted by Steve Babiak:
    Originally posted by Vincent L.:
    ...
    In the meantime, I'm already lined up to attend my first REI meeting on Wednesday so I'll see where it leads...
    ...

    Find out who the speaker is ahead of time, and do some research before attending - that way you will know for sure whether to keep your wallet in your pocket when the line forms at the back of the room.

    HAha! Well, I don't care who is speaking. I wouldn't pull out my wallet at my first REI meeting even if Warren Buffet was speaking.

  • Vincent L.Pro Member
    OP
    Springfield, NJ · Member since 2012 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    14y

    No, no, no; I'm not planning on spending a dime there. I have enough books to read already and I've taken to heart the advice of members on this forum that say a better resource can be found here and its free!! I like free......

    Just going in order to network and step out into the REI world.

  • Real Estate investor · Atglen, PA · Member since 2011 · 90 posts · 21 votes
    14y

    In the meantime, I'm already lined up to attend my first REI meeting on Wednesday so I'll see where it leads...
    Way to go on this. Networking with local investors that have an intricate knowledge of your area is another key to success.

  • Real Estate Investor · Hialeah, FL · Member since 2012 · 41 posts · 0 votes
    14y

    @Vincent, check PM. Also sent you a colleague request.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.