Best State to start real estate investment

Best State to start real estate investment

Member since 2018 · 8 posts · 1 vote

If you can move to any states and not have to worry about jobs and other logistics. Which states would you want to go to start your real estate investments?

0Reply
21 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Des Moines, IA · Member since 2016 · 922 posts · 533 votes
    7y

    @Hon Ching Lai

    I see decent numbers in some midwest cities for buy and hold.  I think your question shouldn't be state specific, but rather, metro area specific.  There are wide differences between different metros and urban/rural divides for lots of states.

  • Attorney · Skokie, IL · Member since 2016 · 270 posts · 109 votes
    7y

    @Jim Goebel - Exactly. Real estate markets are highly localized, so I wouldn't even hazard a guess by state - rather, when I'm discussing opportunities with some of my investor clients I encourage them to focus on the city/municipal demographics. How are the employment/population/home value growth metrics looking? From there, we can dig down into the likely yield on the rental investment - which can be quite high in midwestern cities where you can get a good price on a residential property. And never forget about TAXES! Some places in the NorthEast and NorthWest have double-digit aggregate property tax rates, which can really eat into the value of your investment.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.