How to I avoid paying so much on taxes on my first flip

How to I avoid paying so much on taxes on my first flip

Residential Real Estate Broker · East Brunswick, NJ · Member since 2016 · 24 posts · 5 votes

I have finally gotten my first property under contract and should close the end of the month or by mid Oct. It will take me less then a month, I hope and pray to rehab. The question I have is how to avoid paying the big chunk to Uncle Sam. Is 1031 exchanges even done if I only have the ownership for a short time? I know that I want to start the BRRR method but I was thinking maybe 1 or 2 more flips before I do. Thanks in advance for any advise.

1Reply
15 views

Most Popular Reply

Dave FosterBusiness Member
Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 9k+ votes
7y

@Stacey Vilardi, You've got a good game plan put together.  However 1031 won't be available for you until you purchase a property with the intent of holding.  Until then the properties you are buying primarily to resell will not qualify for 1031.  So flip away if you're trying to build a war chest.  And once you buy your first hold property that one will be eligible for a 1031 when you decide to sell.

But it might be worth your while to see how the numbers would run on a rent and refi of this first one.  You may be too leveraged to get much bang from a rehab and refi.  But it also might surprise you what you can get if you rehabbed it and rented it and then refi'd using your rental income in addition as a qualifier - especially if you factor in the massive taxes flipping gets you.  That jump starts your Brrrr career and would also make that property qualify for 1031 in a a year or so.

The 1031 Investor5137 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Northern, CA · Member since 2012 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y

    A typical flip (held primarily for resale) wouldn’t qualify for a 1031 exchange. Flips are generally taxed as ordinary income subject to self-employment taxes.

    Congrats on getting your first property under contract though!

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · East Brunswick, NJ · Member since 2016 · 24 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    Thanks Kyle. If I do buy another property and hold as rental would that benefit me tax time if this is all done 2020

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

     Not much.....a decent rental property will still show taxable net income even after depreciation. 

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · East Brunswick, NJ · Member since 2016 · 24 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    Thanks Wayne.  

  • Bob NortonPro Member
    Accountant · Slidell, LA · Member since 2019 · 382 posts · 272 votes
    7y

    @Stacey Vilardi You could consider renting your rehab for a period of time to reduce your taxes.  If you rented the property after rehabbing it, then you would be considered a landlord instead of a dealer and save on SE taxes.  If you sold the property after you owned it for 366 days, then you would only be taxed as long-term capital gains.  Furthermore, if you rented it for a period of time, then you would most likely qualify for a 1031 exchange.

  • Dave FosterBusiness Member
    Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    7y

    @Stacey Vilardi, You've got a good game plan put together.  However 1031 won't be available for you until you purchase a property with the intent of holding.  Until then the properties you are buying primarily to resell will not qualify for 1031.  So flip away if you're trying to build a war chest.  And once you buy your first hold property that one will be eligible for a 1031 when you decide to sell.

    But it might be worth your while to see how the numbers would run on a rent and refi of this first one.  You may be too leveraged to get much bang from a rehab and refi.  But it also might surprise you what you can get if you rehabbed it and rented it and then refi'd using your rental income in addition as a qualifier - especially if you factor in the massive taxes flipping gets you.  That jump starts your Brrrr career and would also make that property qualify for 1031 in a a year or so.

    The 1031 Investor5137 Reviews
  • Residential Real Estate Broker · East Brunswick, NJ · Member since 2016 · 24 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    Hello Dave.  Thank you for the information.  My game plan is exactly that.  I think I will be able to start to buy and hold by next year.  I intend to have 10 within 3 years in my portfolio.  I went to the accountant today and I believe my business plan is within reach.  I have my why and I am committed.  

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · East Brunswick, NJ · Member since 2016 · 24 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    Hello Bob.  It unfortunately is not an option with this particular property.  It has to be owner occupied for 2 years before the association would even consider allowing you to rent.  Then it is up to the board if they allow you to rent.  Thanks for your input 

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2013 · 803 posts · 689 votes
    7y

    Flipping houses comes with a tax bill, no way around it. Make sure you account it for it with your final numbers. The TV shows always show how someone makes $100K on a flip but never talks about the almost 40% tax bill they will incur. Paying taxes is a sign you are doing well in you're well in your business. Maybe look into switching to an S Corp to save on your tax liabilities. 

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · East Brunswick, NJ · Member since 2016 · 24 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    Thanks Jake

  • Real Estate Broker · Santa Ana CA [South Coast Metro] · Member since 2016 · 459 posts · 202 votes
    7y

    Hmm, that is the rub. That is the problem no one looks into that. I call it the 2 year flip. Always have a back up plan.

    1031 you most likely want to hold for about 14 months, a 2 year timeframe on paper maybe not a full 2 years but has 2 year calendar dates. ie June 2019 to Nov 2020

    If you can not rent out the property for 2 years thats tough. What about owner occupy, or family.

    If you are a broker or real estate professional you can qualify to deduct passively up to $25k per year on RE activities.

    https://loopholelewy.com/loopholelewy/01-tax-basics-for-startups/passive-activity-rules-01e-rental-real-estate.htm

    Also depending on how much you make you can deduct alot of expenses, look at accelerated depreciation that might help.

    You have to look at least a 1 year hold that will reduce you some and is the debt service more or less than the tax hit.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · East Brunswick, NJ · Member since 2016 · 24 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    That is excellent information Rob. I don't think I cam with this project but definitely think about it for future ones.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.